Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
Sebastien

Re: What was your first "Brag" fish?

My 1st halibut (barely 22'') when my wife flushed it, shot it between the eyes with a Beuchat 80cm. The rest is history
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Definitely my fist white. It was only like 33 inches but it was amazing non the less.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #18
Calif_Diver

My first shot with a spear gun earned me a 19lb ling.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #19
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

My first big calico when I was 12...
My first big yellowtail when I was 17...
My first big white seabass when I was 23...

Although as far as a "brag" fish, I think the first yellowtail takes the cake. It was my first summer using a real speargun, and I had convinced my dad and brother to divert from Catalina to San Clemente to give us a better shot at yellowtail. At that point we didn't know about spearboard, open cell wetsuits, fancy long fins, but we knew we loved spearfishing. My dad had only shot 2 yellowtail at this point because we still hadn't figured out how to locate them consistently. On our first dive that evening, I saw one in the distance while diving at the edge of the blue off a point. That just seemed like the perfect place to see one, so the next day I had a plan- I would go to the place I thought I would be most likely to see one, and wait. About an hour after I started a 30+ pound yellowtail swam right below me and I shot it through the gills. And I've been bragging about that fish ever since
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
hutloc

halibut... maybe only the 10th fish i speared. no reel or float line.. i couldnt keep holding my breath so i let go of the gun.. raced after it..caught back up as he got stuck against a rock..right as he was about to clear the rock i dove and grabbed,she took me to the surface and back a few times. was a very mad 48lbr with a 7mm shaft in.
later i tried to duplicate the same feat with a polespear on a simular fish... but lost after the placement of the shot was straight into the bone of her head and i couldnt grab the other side. she clamped down hard on my glove and i thought i had her till she went ballistic and broke spear into three pieces and cut my hands up pretty good... not a good brag, but i learned a leason..

next fish you will he me speak about was a 8"smelt
hutloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
One_shot_wonder
Jesse Fulton

27lb Halibut on a pole spear. Bent my pole spear in half.
One_shot_wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
hutloc

i like the double connect stories... last year i tried so hard to get couple of do do's and yt's to line up! this year....
hutloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
Kelp Fly

I just had gotten back from Iraq and the spearboard reports kept me sane during the time over there. I had 10 days off so I headed over to the coast from Vegas. I went over to attend a friends funeral so it was sort of a weird trip for me but I figured the diving would make it better. I paddled out to some random spot in the kelp off from Calumet Park. Got in the water and started blasting calico's. On my last dive down I saw this huge shape out in front of me and i just pointed and fired (knew what it was though by watching terry maas's wsb diving videos). Nothing happened, thought I missed then i see the wsb sinking toward the bottom with a shaft hanging out its side. Just then it makes one tail kick and the shaft falls out. The fish was swimming sporadically about trying to get away. I chased it out of sight, and then started looking above the water to see it flopping in the distance. I finally caught up to it where i tried to figure out how to grab a 40 lbs fish. . . got it secured and took it to the beach for all the sunday dog walkers to admire. Definitely my first fish to brag about. 43 lbs WSB!

Kelpy

"Dude, I have gotta piss really bad. So let's hurry up and get our suits on." -Peter
Kelp Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

When I was around 13 or 14, I shot a 20 something pound WSB in about 12' of water with a JBL 3 prong. I had no clue what I was doing and had no idea you are supposed to be "quiet" or "stealthy" on approach or any of that stuff people will tell you.

Dressed in board shorts and a cutoff wetsuit top, using churchills for fins and nothing except a 6' rusty old JBL 3-prong I was being about as big a kook as possible . When I saw the school of about 7 - 10 fish cruising along the sandy bottom I first thought they were leopard sharks all lit up with their stripes and when I made out the little yellow fins, instinct took over and I dove right on top of them, cocked my JBL back as far as I could, and let it fly, stoning the biggest one!
....only I didn't know I stoned it, or that you could even stone fish . I was a corbina hunter up until this day. I drove the spikes further into the fish and pinned it to the sandy bottom while kicking those little blue and yellow churchills as hard as I could to gain some leverage. I then noticed only 2 of the prongs were inside the fish (one was in the spine though) and even though the fish was only making a retarded little flail here or there, I felt at any moment it could explode and dart off. I then tried to raise the fish out of the water and swim it in on the surface which almost drown me. Never thought of putting my hands in the gills or anything
Here is this fat little kid thrashing and screaming with fins coming out of the water and blood all around. Must have looked like a shark attack or something to the people on the beach...That fish was so memorable just because of the total lack of inexperience and high level of stupidity that in the end made a great story. I still havent shot another white with a 3 prong but hey, it can be done.

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #25
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal Spearo View Post
When I was around 13 or 14, I shot a 20 something pound WSB in about 12' of water with a JBL 3 prong. I had no clue what I was doing and had no idea you are supposed to be "quiet" or "stealthy" on approach or any of that stuff people will tell you.

Dressed in board shorts and a cutoff wetsuit top, using churchills for fins and nothing except a 6' rusty old JBL 3-prong I was being about as big a kook as possible . When I saw the school of about 7 - 10 fish cruising along the sandy bottom I first thought they were leopard sharks all lit up with their stripes and when I made out the little yellow fins, instinct took over and I dove right on top of them, cocked my JBL back as far as I could, and let it fly, stoning the biggest one!
....only I didn't know I stoned it, or that you could even stone fish . I was a corbina hunter up until this day. I drove the spikes further into the fish and pinned it to the sandy bottom while kicking those little blue and yellow churchills as hard as I could to gain some leverage. I then noticed only 2 of the prongs were inside the fish (one was in the spine though) and even though the fish was only making a retarded little flail here or there, I felt at any moment it could explode and dart off. I then tried to raise the fish out of the water and swim it in on the surface which almost drown me. Never thought of putting my hands in the gills or anything
Here is this fat little kid thrashing and screaming with fins coming out of the water and blood all around. Must have looked like a shark attack or something to the people on the beach...That fish was so memorable just because of the total lack of inexperience and high level of stupidity that in the end made a great story. I still havent shot another white with a 3 prong but hey, it can be done.
I've been around SB too long... I remember when you posted that. Post the pic!

Post the infamous halibut/sheephead photo too.
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
Surfer1313

Very nice and encouraging everybody. Keep em coming!
Surfer1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
I've been around SB too long... I remember when you posted that. Post the pic!

Post the infamous halibut/sheephead photo too.
Come on man, I need to retain at least a hint of my dignity
Brando has a copy of the infamous photo but I have an equally embarrassing photo or two of him as a bit of an insurance policy.

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal Spearo View Post
Come on man, I need to retain at least a hint of my dignity
Brando has a copy of the infamous photo but I have an equally embarrassing photo or two of him as a bit of an insurance policy.
Damn, worth a shot.

(sending Brando a message now...)
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
Surfer1313

I want to see this infamous photo, and you should also put up your insurance policy photo too.
Surfer1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
ApneaAddict

I think my first brag fish was probably when I was about 15. My brother had just gotten a shiny new Riffe and I had also asked for a speargun for my birthday. At the time, I wasn't nearly as into spearfishing as my dad or brother. I enjoyed diving, but I was juuust beginning to catch the spearing bug. Because he was unsure of my dedication to spearfish, rather than buying me a $$$ Riffe, my dad got me a cheapo JBL super magnum instead (thinking that it would be almost as good, but cheaper if I decided to ditch spearfishing). Well, that thing was a piece of crap. I missed fish after fish after fish. Primarily because the trigger mech was so hard to pull that I couldn't possibly stay lined up and get a shot off with one hand. After missing 5 or 6 shots, we took the damn thing apart and filed down some parts in the mech to make the trigger pull more easily. Next dive out, I shot about a 5 pound calico bass. At the time it was definitely a PB and it was retribution for all the fish I had missed because it proved that at least some of my missed shots had been as much arrow as indian up until then. Within months I had myself a Riffe and I was off to the races.

Hm, upon reflection, above was the first fish that really got me "hooked", but the most brag-worthy fish I've probably ever speared was here: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=66087

Last edited by ApneaAddict; 02-26-2010 at 04:20 PM.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote