Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Bali freediving Course (Fusion Freediving & Yoga)

I just wanted to give some feedback and actual results from taking good freediving courses. I also want to plug Fusion Freediving as it was such a great all around experience.

I just finished up a level III (AIDA 4 star) course in Bali Indonesia. This 4 day course was pretty intense, lots of new information to digest as well as new techniques to employ. The class was challenging and definitely in a good way. The classes are very thorough, with a strong emphasis on safety and fun. I loved it.

Before any course. 15 meters (50 feet) was about all I could do. I took a level I course in San Diego 1 1/2 years ago with Mark Lozano. My max dive after the level I FII course was to 20 meters (65 feet), my static was just over 4 minutes. I could spend less than 10 seconds at 20 meters (65 feet). The class made me a safer diver for sure and taught me some better technique.

The level II course (AIDA III star) I took in Bali was awesome. I improved my static to 4'17" made it down to 30 meters (99 feet) during the class and after the class on some training dives, I was hitting 34 meters (111 feet). The benefits were obvious for my spearfishing. I was actually shooting fish at 21 meters (71 feet) and not just maxing out there. Cutting White Sea Bass out of kelp after they tie up deep had previously been scary for me. After having taken the Level II course, the last WSB I shot this June (51lbs) that wrapped up at 17 meters (60 feet) was a piece of cake.

The level III (AIDA 4 star) course which I finished this September, definitely pushed me to the next level. During the class, I got my max static to 5'07" and was hitting 40 meter (131 feet). To get more comfortable at depth, I was practicing hangs at depth. I can now comfortably spend 30 seconds at 30 (99 feet) meters and 60 seconds at 20 meters (65 feet), great for my spearing. Though I probably won't do much hunting over 25 meters (83 feet), knowing I can, has really improved my confidence.

After the class, with a bit more practise of the techniques we learned, I was reaching just under 46 meters CW (150 feet). I was happy to see improvement almost every time I trained. It was very gratifying. It makes me want to see where I plateau.

Comparing before and after taking the courses, I went from an average spearing bottom time of 45"-1'15" to about 1'30"-2'15" and easily doubled my comfortable diving depth.

My Fusion Instructor Agata, is a great coach and excellent instructor plus she has the creds as the current Polish National Woman champion. I felt like I was in very good hands. All the Staff at Fusion Freediving are top notch and the instructors are very experienced.

I took the course to improve my spearfishing, which it certainly did but now I actually really like freediving for freediving sake. I never expected that. I would recommend taking these courses to anyone interested in learning to improve their comfort and performance with freediving or spearfishing. The courses are super fun, affordable, safe and something you will certainly remember.

BTW if you want to spearfish in Amed, Bali, Fusion offers affordable spearing trips to the offshore fads or local reefs, spearfishing courses and has proper equipment to rent. I spent weeks there and shot Dogtooth tuna, GTs, Wahoo, Mahi, Tripple tail, Sweetlips, Maori Sea Perch, Midnight Snapper and a bunch of other species. I saw, Turtles, Dolphin Sperm whales and even had Orcas playing in the boat wake on the way to the Fads, There is a famous shipwreck USAT Liberty) that is a blast to dive. I could go on. Just go there, take a course if you are heading over there.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote