Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Recommendations for Bluewater Inflatable Float

Hey guys -

I have been compiling gear towards a bluewater setup, and I have a 7L and 12L hard, foam filled RA floats.

I have a couple different float lines, clutch, bungees, spill pack etc.

I am looking for a best bang for buck option for that last inflatable float.

I am working in Tonga - and hoping to just have something that will let me land most of the fish I will run into. I am new to bluewater, but not to spearfishing, and doubt that I will have chances at anything big - but definitely need something more than the hard floats.

Is the Riffe 3 ATM worth it? Or should I just get a 15L mako float?

I appreciate any and all information on this as there is a wide variety of products at a huge range of prices and I have experience with none of this.

Thanks

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
AK_FishTech

Re: Recommendations for Bluewater Inflatable Float

I like my spearmaster 30L tough, simple, dependable.
AK_FishTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

not unusual to come across cow yellowfin or even blue marlin just drifting off the points in Tonga - make a Tommy Botha tuna board and you wont be caught short! if diving anchored in current the two RA floats usually sufficient.....until a big doggie heads for the bottom - and you wish you were clipped onto that botha board
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Recommendations for Bluewater Inflatable Float

Depends on what you targeting, and your depth:

If you going after doggies, yellowfins, or games that will dart straight into the the blue (and hence compress your float) or reefs and tangle the sh!t out of it, then a 60L pressured float or a tandem double 30L with a short bungee (e.g. 3-6ft) in between.

For soft fleshed game (e.g. Wahoo), and in deep blue water, I use a breakaway system with the following set up:

Slip tip spear w 25-30ft steel core mono (I use the gannet as it has the least drag), connected to a 10ft bungee which is attached to a 75ft floatline (maverick/spear-America w 1200ft core) attached to either a 30L Rob Allen or spearmaster at the end (those are 20-25psi floats). Never lost a fish with that set up. The float rarely fully went under water and if so, quickly re-surfaces. A good bungee in my opinion can make a whole lot difference between landing or not landing a fish.

Check out this vid that demonstrates this set up:

Good luck with your trip !
Old 02-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_FishTech View Post
I like my spearmaster 30L tough, simple, dependable.
Whats the biggest fish that you will target with a float this size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
not unusual to come across cow yellowfin or even blue marlin just drifting off the points in Tonga - make a Tommy Botha tuna board and you wont be caught short! if diving anchored in current the two RA floats usually sufficient.....until a big doggie heads for the bottom - and you wish you were clipped onto that botha board
This has me very excited - and I definitely need to at least take something down there to be able to target these fish if I work up to that.

Sumora is no longer a company as far as I can tell online. Have you made your own?

Are you in Tonga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayFK View Post
Depends on what you targeting, and your depth:

If you going after doggies, yellowfins, or games that will dart straight into the the blue (and hence compress your float) or reefs and tangle the sh!t out of it, then a 60L pressured float or a tandem double 30L with a short bungee (e.g. 3-6ft) in between.

For soft fleshed game (e.g. Wahoo), and in deep blue water, I use a breakaway system with the following set up:

Slip tip spear w 25-30ft steel core mono (I use the gannet as it has the least drag), connected to a 10ft bungee which is attached to a 75ft floatline (maverick/spear-America w 1200ft core) attached to either a 30L Rob Allen or spearmaster at the end (those are 20-25psi floats). Never lost a fish with that set up. The float rarely fully went under water and if so, quickly re-surfaces. A good bungee in my opinion can make a whole lot difference between landing or not landing a fish.

Check out this vid that demonstrates this set up:

http://youtu.be/nbJlv3XI348

Good luck with your trip !
So what about a Mako 30 and 60L? I could get both for about the price of one Riffe 3ATM float - and then be ready for anything the blue throws at me.

I am really looking forward to being in a location like this for a extended period of time. I am hoping to become a bluewater hunter - Im going to at least try and be set up for it!

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

made my tuna board from hi-density closed cell foam washed up on the beach, prob old liferaft, and nylon cutting board for the inserts - followed design of the Botha board pics online. only thing had to buy was the camcleat and a Speedy Stitcher to modify some old webbing. Been using it for ages and havent changed a thing - those SA boys really know how to land big fish in rough water eh

mine's 105L x 50W x 15D

so many advantages with the tuna board over multiple float setup, not least of which is being able to haul that XL doggie to the surface BEFORE the reef sharks mince it, and really energy efficient hauling big stuff up from the depths. feel much more comfortable hanging kill gun [and flasher] off the board than a float

having a good bungee on floatline helps fight the fish and reduce ripout when fish go straight down and hit the end of the floatline [the tuna board stays on the surface].

i strap a nally bin on top for diving reef fish shallow, with a 10/0 hook for anchor. gold!

you'll love Tonga eh. make sure you've got super comfy fins and a good light wetsuit so u can spend all day in the water
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
made my tuna board from hi-density closed cell foam washed up on the beach, prob old liferaft, and nylon cutting board for the inserts - followed design of the Botha board pics online. only thing had to buy was the camcleat and a Speedy Stitcher to modify some old webbing. Been using it for ages and havent changed a thing - those SA boys really know how to land big fish in rough water eh

mine's 105L x 50W x 15D

so many advantages with the tuna board over multiple float setup, not least of which is being able to haul that XL doggie to the surface BEFORE the reef sharks mince it, and really energy efficient hauling big stuff up from the depths. feel much more comfortable hanging kill gun [and flasher] off the board than a float

having a good bungee on floatline helps fight the fish and reduce ripout when fish go straight down and hit the end of the floatline [the tuna board stays on the surface].

i strap a nally bin on top for diving reef fish shallow, with a 10/0 hook for anchor. gold!

you'll love Tonga eh. make sure you've got super comfy fins and a good light wetsuit so u can spend all day in the water
Thank you - I certainly hope I will and will get a chance to make some memories and feed myself along the way. I am sending you a PM.

Anyone else?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Riptide
Straight Blastin em

I like to use a leader float. I use a RA 7L or a Mako 10L in front and then big float in back. 100ft floatline to Leader float, Tuna bungee line between the leader and big float, Big float tag line big float if necessary. I have taken the Riffe 3atm float on trips and had difficulty pumping it up with no compressor around. I also have a Riffe 2 Atm with the same pump up issue and less lift. I am looking to get the 2 Mako or spearmasters for the back of the floatlines with tagline or 2 RA remoras...I just want to pump up with a portable bike pump to the correct pressure the night before BWH.

"If you're gonna go swimming you're gonna have to get wet"

www.sangleefarms.com
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Behslayer

Kavachi, can you post some pics?

Kingfisherflesh, when it comes to inflateable floats for the fish of a lifetime the ones I would really trust are the Riffe and the Gannet. They're both expensive. Maybe you can look around real hard and find a good discount on one for Black Friday Sale... or, you could post on the forums looking for one used.

I'm about to build a float if I can't find one on sale, I was planning on going the route of the Lifeguard float filled with compression resistant pour foam.. but I'd like to see what Kavachi's got going on too.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Red Tide

Contact the guys at Neptonics and get the Spearmaster 30 liter float. That with a 100 ft floatline and a 10 to 25 ft bungee and you will be good to go. If the fish you are hunting are over 100 lbs just add another float and put a 25 ft bungee between them. Keep adding floats for every 100 lbs more fish you are targeting.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #11
JJohansen

For years I ran two hard 12L rob allen floats- three if I was after the big game. I always assumed that the black nylon webbing that forms the front and rear loop ran through the float. Turns out that the ones I had were just glued to the surface of the float. I discovered this as I saw fish, shaft and bungee disappear into the blue. I went out and bought a Riffe 3atm, I've yet to try it on anything really big.
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
dctrjayyy

hands down Ocean Hunter 3 atm. rated to 44psi. i love mine.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote