Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

FII price increases. Lock in before they go up!!!!

If you're planning to attend a FII Freediving class, there will be a price increase. All Level I and Level II classes being offered out of Ft. Lauderdale, through FII Headquarters with either Brett Scaglione or Martin Stepanek, will have a price increase as of January 31, 2011. It will be $60 extra for the Level I class and $100 extra for the Level II class. Please sign up and leave a least a deposit for a class if you want to lock into the old price, no matter when you plan on taking it. You can sign up at www.freedivinginstructors.com or call 1-954-323-2222.

Lock into the old rate!!!!

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Re: FII price increases. Lock in before they go up!!!!

Does this only apply to the classes out of those locations? I'm putting together a group to take a class out of Newport Beach, CA...

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
flamencoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidendeth13 View Post
Does this only apply to the classes out of those locations? I'm putting together a group to take a class out of Newport Beach, CA...
Yes. As far as I know.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Right on. Thanks.

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
flamencoguru

bump....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Trailrunner

I hate to sound negative, but IMHO I question why the price would be going up to start with. These do not seem like classes with a tight profit margin to begin with. I have been considering the class for my Son and I for awhile (intermediate level), it just seems overpriced (in all fairness, it seems like everyone who takes PFI or FII does seem satisfied).
That being said, it appears to me to be a case of charging whatever the market will bear. I know if I was deciding to sign up this week, the first thing I would do is check the price against PFI, and, then weigh it all against the effort of just ferreting out as much knowledge as possible via the Forums to become as knowledgeable as possible. There is obviously some important information being passed on in the class, however, it's not rocket science either. And, the old adage of "how much is your life worth" has just been over used, especially when there are so many very accomplished free divers that have not taken the course.
This is nothing personal against the original Poster, Errol seems to always have a positive message and I'm sure this was meant to be one. I am just questioning the motivation to increase the cost by $25.00/day across ten or more class attendees over the $200.00 or so a day it currently costs.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
flamencoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrunner View Post
I hate to sound negative, but IMHO I question why the price would be going up to start with. These do not seem like classes with a tight profit margin to begin with. I have been considering the class for my Son and I for awhile (intermediate level), it just seems overpriced (in all fairness, it seems like everyone who takes PFI or FII does seem satisfied).That being said, it appears to me to be a case of charging whatever the market will bear. I know if I was deciding to sign up this week, the first thing I would do is check the price against PFI, and, then weigh it all against the effort of just ferreting out as much knowledge as possible via the Forums to become as knowledgeable as possible. There is obviously some important information being passed on in the class, however, it's not rocket science either. And, the old adage of "how much is your life worth" has just been over used, especially when there are so many very accomplished free divers that have not taken the course.
This is nothing personal against the original Poster, Errol seems to always have a positive message and I'm sure this was meant to be one. I am just questioning the motivation to increase the cost by $25.00/day across ten or more class attendees over the $200.00 or so a day it currently costs.

Hello Trailrunner,

No disrespect taken. Thanks for posting. It's good to challenge things and get to the bottom of things. I hope my answers will sufice.

I know it's a lot of money anyway you slice it or dice it. I thought the same thing when I took my first classes. I'm going to try and give you the reasoning and a bit of history behind it all and how FII (and I'm sure PFI too...) is more than the money and knowing Martin Stepanek personally, I can assure you that the money is just a means to his survival and ability to proceed with his mission and goal; to change the culture of freediving.

I took my class in February of 2009. There were two students in the Level II class (yes, me and one other guy). Martin was our instructor and Brett was in training. I can tell you with out a shadow of a doubt that Martin lost money on this class. He could have easily canceled the class and waited until he had more students. Why didn't he? Because he has a burning desire to pass his knowledge onto his fellow freediver and he's in for the long haul. You can see it clear as day! FII has a classroom, office, marketing, advertising, employees, materials and very expensive boat fees to operate.

He lives a very modest lifestyle. No fancy cars and a very normal house. There is no Mercedes for him is the near future (shoot, maybe not even a Toyota.... Ha!). He does this because he believes in his educational program. Please remember it's not about certification, is about educating the freediver. Yes, of course you can learn from people who have never spent the money on a class, but the classes just eliminate so much of the trial and error that divers may have.

I know people know Martin for his amazing talents as a world champion freediver, but I know him as a World Champion Educator. The guys is an incredible teacher ( I can say this because I am a teacher and know what qualities to look for in a teacher). If you can image, he's even better at teaching than freediving. Here is an article of his beginnings as a freediver in the US. It's a pretty interesting story. It may give you some insight on why he's doing this. I can assure you it's not for the glory or to have his name in big shinny lights.

http://www.deeperblue.com/article.php/121

He has been generous enough to share his knowledge with the best of the best to the most novice freediver, even with people that are terrified to enter the water! He could be back in Europe living as a professional freediver making 3 to 4 time what he's making here... (There are freedivers that are banking in Europe!!!) Many other professional freedivers won't give you the time of day.

Again, I totally respect your post and of course we live in a capitalistic society with a free market, where prices are challenged and beaten. Of course you can go with PFI and be educated (I encourage the education) but learning under Stepanek and his crew is..... priceless......

Peace, Errol

P.S. Our freediving club, Palm Beach freedivers is so animate about freedive safety that we have made it mandatory to take at least a basic freedive safety course to enter one of our club-sponsored tournaments. We accept many educational systems; PFI, FII, FIT, Apnea Academy. We just want to dive with safe divers, that's it! A few of our members are still alive thanks to these classes!!!

Last edited by flamencoguru; 01-31-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Trailrunner

That's a very genuine, well balanced response. Thanks for taking the time.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Send a message via Yahoo to David Deman

I got my reservation for April in on Sunday night! I'm so excited. Still undecided if I want to update the fin collection or not in preparation for the course.
David Deman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
flamencoguru

Sweet! There's nothing like saving a few $$$.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
David Deman
twentytwomonk

I can't wait. I've been dying to take this or the PFI level II since I started diving in 2007, and I can't believe I'm finally doing it. I hope Martin's training takes me as deep as I wanna go!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
flamencoguru

Here a great quote from Martin: "I can get you as deep as you want... but there's no guarantees I can get you back!"
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Triple digits is where I wanna be! We'll see what happens on the return trip!