Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
BreathlessSight

Frenzel Fattah Mouthfill

I realized that most people on this board dont talk much about freediving but I was wondering if anyone had some info on this type of equalization. I dont have my reading material with me since someone is using it at the moment but I would much perfer personal advice over reading any day.
I notice when I try to perform this technique its quite hard to keep my throat closed. Im pretty sure I have the soft plate voluntary opening down just when I try to move the air in my mouth I loose the throat seal. I think Im accidentaly using the back of my tounge to seal it in the first place.
Any info would be much appreciated.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
JimQPublic
Mostly Dry Behind da Ears

Re: Frenzel Fattah Mouthfill

Eric Fattah's website has the tutorial and demonstration video:
Eric Fattah Download Page

I've been working on isolating the various functions of the epiglottis, soft palate, and eustacian tubes with both positive and negative pressure during dry training. Also the value of keeping the sinuses clean can't be overemphasized. I started doing a neti rinse a while back and I think it has helped make everything work better.
JimQPublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Send a message via Yahoo to David Deman

And there's a ton of info on it on deeperblue.net. I'm pretty sure I've seen you on there before, but just in case...
David Deman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Dangerous

You probably know how to do this and have been using it instinctively. Don't try to fill your mouth, just pinch your nose and contract your cheeks. I printed off the procedure and read it for 15 to 20 minutes on a flight and tried to follow instructions and then realized it was what I was doing all along. I just tried it with filling my cheeks/mouth with air and it doesn't work - just close lips, open jaw a little and then close jaw and tighten cheeks, tongue will seal automatically (or if it doesn't, then you have learned "packing" too)
Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
BreathlessSight

Yes Im on deeperblue. I use to be on there a lot before i found out about spearfishing. Whats so great about it is that you can surf it at work
Thanks for the info
Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Man-O-War
Lothario

Its the "grouper call". When you make that grouper sound you are filling the mouth using Frenzel technique. Its kinda like swallowing, but you end up with air in the mouth cavity, while throat is used as a piston to open - then lower - then close - then bring up the air. This movement will not trigger the urge to breathe, like when you just open the throat all the way. Its hard to write it down (see Frenzel document), but in person its easy to show
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
JimQPublic
Mostly Dry Behind da Ears

It's easiest to practice with empty lungs. If you do it right you will have a relaxed mouthful of air even though your diaphragm is straining. Just do an exhale and practice reverse packing.

Note though that the whole mouthfill thing isn't really needed until you approach residual volume- much deeper than I'm capable of diving. I practice the techniques but don't need the mouthfill. Frenzel- using your tongue to pressurize your ears vs. using your diaphram- is much easier for me and gives me much better control
JimQPublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
BreathlessSight

Ya I was wondering how to do it for these deep dives Im giong to try to do in the near future. I have had the frenzel doc since it came out. But I havent really put it in to action till now. I will try to empty all my lungs and get what air I have left and practice with that.
I do use the frenzel but I need to start using the mouthfill for the deeper freedives.
Like I said the only problem I have is keeping my throat closed and opening the soft plate while pushing air back there with my tounge. My throat always opens up.
Also Im not sure how some of you are equalizing hands free That mess is tough! I just have too much pressure to equalize that way. I would love to eqaulize that way though. Maybe if my fall was slower...
Thanks for the help once again !