Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
sdDive

Boat Advice

My friends and I are planning to rent a boat from Dana point and venture out on our own for the first time. Could guys with boats give us some advice on best way to locate some fish? I am not asking for secret spots, although it will be welcomed. Would it be best to just head towards Catalina and look for paddies on the way? Or, is it better go towards high points and look for paddies?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. We are looking to go out this Sunday, we have 3 so far and have room for one more if you are interested. PM plz
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Blue Man

Re: Boat Advice

I'd just look for paddies but I'm no expert.

BTW, how did you find this boat for rent and how much do they run? What requirements did they impose?

Thanks,

John
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
sdDive

Found this site with GPS coordinates: http://www.fishingnetwork.net/socal/gps3.htm
Any recommendations on which spots are worth checking out? 209?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
sdDive

no requirements other than credit card. they charge 550 for 9 hrs, 21ft center console.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

no mention of your ocean experience....vhf radio in emergency? towing procedure if you break down? ladder to reboard fast if needed? compass headings if you run into thick fog (not unusual this time of year)....
...as far as spots, the areas of the 14 mile bank and the 277 have yellowfin tuna if the seiners haven't wiped them out....check tempbreak to find a temp break and try to work the outside edge of it from green to blue where the bait is and the gamefish are likely to be feeding on bait....
...I never follow a straight run from point A (land) to point B (a reef or spot), like everyone else does...I swing up or down off the beaten track before going onto the selected course....this way, you don't hit kelp paddies already worked over by the guys ahead of you...meaning, get as early start as you can....good luck...fish are within 8 miles of Oceanside, also, the 209 had been holding volume but, it changes every day as the fish can move 30 miles in one day, depending on bait volume and temps....
small west swell at 8 seconds may create a little chop when mixed with the south swell at 14 seconds (not bad, based on distance apart)...afternoon wind may be a problem unless it lets down by then,,,,vis at Catalina is bad currently with lots of green water on both sides and red crabs coming up on the never ending south swell and wind.....hopefully, it will change by the weekend...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-12-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
CaptainLeo

You could hire somebody to take you out.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
sdDive

Hey Leo, I thought your boat is out of commission ... I do miss your trips

Bob, thank you for your wisdom as always. Safety is top priority and we will have all those necessities. I was looking at the forecast and wind/swell will be OK, I think...
Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
CaptainLeo

[quote=sdDive;2146752]Hey Leo, I thought your boat is out of commission ... I do miss your trips

The boat is actually sold. I miss my trips, too. Haha Seriously though, I'm sure the boats you get from the rental places like are usually dialed in as far as gear goes. It might not be a bad idea to hire a local guy for the day to help you guys out. There are few captains out there that do this as their only source of income and some are really good at it. Something to think about before you take the boat out and you're not very familiar with a lot of the equipment.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Lompoc Local
Errin

[quote=CaptainLeo;2146773]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdDive View Post
Hey Leo, I thought your boat is out of commission ... I do miss your trips

The boat is actually sold. I miss my trips, too. Haha Seriously though, I'm sure the boats you get from the rental places like are usually dialed in as far as gear goes. It might not be a bad idea to hire a local guy for the day to help you guys out. There are few captains out there that do this as their only source of income and some are really good at it. Something to think about before you take the boat out and you're not very familiar with a lot of the equipment.
Diver Dirks is da man! Great skipper, fun guy

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Ater22

I would just get a charter
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
sdDive

thanks Leo for advice. I been watching and learning, and want to start trying it on my own.
Man... I am still chasing that one day we chased blue fins all day long T.T
Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #12
Spear n Surf
Waterman

Did you end up going out?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
sdDive

yea, went to 14mile and 267. it was windy and crappy viz. No fish... but, now I learned to go offshore on my own. Planning to go once a month
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
Ater22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdDive View Post
yea, went to 14mile and 267. it was windy and crappy viz. No fish... but, now I learned to go offshore on my own. Planning to go once a month
If you need someone to help split gas, I'll go
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
sdDive

k going to wait till season gets hot. planning to go mid August