Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > 2006 St. Pete Open

2006 St. Pete Open Check this forum for news, rules, updates, and other discussion about this year's St. Pete Open Tournament -- August 18, 19, and 20, 2006

Old 08-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Bucket One
www.stpeteopen.com

Where do I even start

Man what a great weekend it was with so many great shooters at the tournament. I meet some more great guys from the board that I was finally able to put a face to.

I think that it was just about as good as a weekend as you could ask for. Great weather, LOTS of big fish, two new tournament records, record turn outs for freedivers and juniors, personal best fish for some people, tons of great prizes and more fish stories then you could shake a stick at.

As for my win. I guess that when its ment to be its ment to be. I was so jacked yesterday that after I shot my fish in the morning and having to stop at walmart to buy a bigger cooler to put my fish in because the cooler I brought wasn't big enough. I couldn't even take a nap because I knew that I had just done something that is just about unheard of because of the way that I did it. I broke a 34 year old record and broke it by quite a bit. The previous record was 9.13 and mine fish was 11.64. A 2.51 lb jump. Thats HUGE for a sheepshead record.

There are two guys that I'm really proud of though.

The first is John Schmidt (screen name) for finally getting a piece of glass and winning the top fish and ending his streak of non glass SPO's. Dude we are so proud of you its crazy. May'be this is a sign of things to come for you John.

The second is Rickey Hampton (spear ten). Rickey is the silent type that not many people really know of because of being so quite but boy has he shot some true monster of fish in his time. Rickey broke the tournament record for AJ and I only wish that I could've been there with him to do it. Rickey, I'm so happy for you taking the biggest fish of the tournament and breaking a record. Awesome dude.

Congrats to all the winners of the St.Pete Open.

On a side note. Bret how did you let Paul beat you with all the shit that you guys give each other? I think that someone said that he trained one of his dog's to shoot his fish.

Last edited by Bucket One; 08-20-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Bucket One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thumbs up Re: Where do I even start

Giant congrats to you too, Richie! That was the only Sheepshead that I have ever seen that scared me!

I have had the pleasure of diving with Ricky a couple of times, and I quickly became a huge fan of his. Congrats, Ricky!

Congrats also to the other winners, all great people, and animals underwater.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Re: Where do I even start

Awsome Jailhouse Snappa, wheres the pic?

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
ChumBucketsGirl
Heidi Schwarz

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChumBucketsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Richie, that "Head" was off the charts for sure. I dove Tampa Bay for over 20 years and never saw a Sheapshead even close to the size of that one. That fish was a freak! Congrats on the new record!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
Steel Shootin'

Bucket: Congratulations on the fish and new record. Well done. As the crew and I sat on the hook weathering a 90 minute storm in the grounds at 4:00AM, you came to mind. I was thinking you were smarter than us, sleeping in a warm bed, and waking up well rested to head to a nearby bridge.

Congrats to all the trophy winners.

I'd also like to thank the St. Pete Underwater Club for hosting this annual tournament. It's a ton of work. Well done, guys!!
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
inletsurf

Leave it to Zacker to wipe the shit-eating grin on my face as I'm doing 85 mph across the state with a 8.14 lb sheepshead in my cooler, the biggest one in years, only to hear a voicemail from him singing, "you ain't seen nothin' yet....b-b-b-baby you ain't seen nothin' yet" I think the SPUCS need to DNA that sheep mutant 'cause I'm pretty sure one of its parents or grandparents is a mule.

Seriously, congratulations Ritchie, thats an incredible record breaking fish!!!!!
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
Spearchucker

Well, when myself and Ritchie were making our bets, in a half drunken stupor, last Wednesday night, I want to thank whatever God spearfishermen worship for betting Ritchie on OVERALL finish, rather than just in the sheepshead division.

It went something like this: (Ritchie) Lets bet on the sheepshead division, bitch. Whoever finishes higher pays the tab at Spankys next Wednesday. (John) Sure, sounds like a plan. Why don't we make it overall, instead of just sheepshead? (Ritchie) Sure, what the ****.

Come on Ritchie, it had to kill you to break a 34 year record, and pick ONE SPOT BEHIND ME

Ritchie, will it be like this when you bring me my beer Wednesday -
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Spearchucker

Just bustin your ass man, congrats on a hell of a fish.
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Congrats Ritchie - that's a monster for sure - just 1.16 pounds off the world record! I never got a chance to see that fish at the weigh in. Can you post a pic?
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Grauer
warped perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefisherman
Congrats never got a chance to see that fish at the weigh in. Can you post a pic?

Me either, Congrats

The 20 ton whale shark has entered the room! 2007 St. Pete Open! August 17, 18, and 19! Enter Now!
www.StPeteOpen.com
Grauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
RichT

Way to go Ritchie! I didnt think it was that big until I lifted it out of the Kiddie pool! Man that thing was a freakin mule!
That is going to be one hard record to break!

Congrats to Ricky for his biggest fish of the tournament! Thats going to be a tough record to break! There were some reall monster AJ's weighed in this year.

And congrats to all the other winners as well including my buddies Sasa and John H and DJ!
And how about that grouper division?!
I cant ever recall so many big grouper! There were grouper over forty pounds all the way past the 12th round!!

Last edited by RichTaylor; 08-21-2006 at 09:36 PM.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Nsearch

Great title to the thread because that's how I feel after this weekend. I can't thank the St. Pete Underwater Club and it's volunteers enough for putting on one hell of a tournament. EVERYTHING was perfect from the weather, the weigh-in, the party afterwards, the people, the venue, and the awards ceremony. The prize table was just unbelievable. There were guys who were picking up wetsuits and $100 prizes when there had already been over 130 picks off the table. People who entered and for whatever reason couldn't weigh in a fish still went home with great prizes, how cool is that?

I'd also like to thank the guys behind the Deathsticks for giving me the opportunity to do the artwork on the gun that was raffled off to raise money for the FRA.

Congratulations to John Schmidt......you deserve it buuuuddaaay!!!!!!! SO stoked for you man!!

And congratulations to you Ritchie, once I heard of your fish I had to walk over and have a look at it. I'm sure Barry Bonds would like to know where that sheepshead was getting it's "enhancers" from Holy smoke that thing was retardedly huge! Congratulations on CRUSHING the tournament record!!

John (kitefisherman), I was stoked to hear your named called for your hogfish, congratulations man!

Congratulations to all the shooters and top place finishers for this years tournament and I'm already looking forward to next years!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #14
Jaizzen
Team HeadHunter

Great fish Zacker! I too didn't have a chance to see the fish. Post the pick!

Two records broken in one tourney, just can't beat that!

Ricky, Kick Ass! 1st place and a Record. I guess next year, I'm gunning for your RECORD!

Jason
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

I hear Ritchie is going on a statewide tour showing off his mutant sheepshead. I called Ticketmaster all morning to get my ticket!

Congrats Zacker!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ticket.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	36748  
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote