Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
popgun pete

China's own technology spearguns

This seems to be the sort of thing that comes out of CHINA when they use their own technology rather than someone else's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162146367840

and similarly this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multifuncti....c100005.m1851

Note the accessories used to "improve" the basic offering, model 1, model 2 and model 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese speargun 1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	239923   Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese speargun 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	239924   Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese speargun 3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	239925   Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese speargun 4.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	239926   Click image for larger version

Name:	second chinese speargun 1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	239927  

Click image for larger version

Name:	second chinese speargun 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	239928   Click image for larger version

Name:	second chinese speargun 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	239929  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-27-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added photos
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
CuzzA

Re: China's own technology spearguns

I doubt they designed it. I think this is for topside use, not underwater. Basically a bow fishing setup.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
Mikel_24

Pete, that's a spear gun in the strict sense that it shoots spears... but I don't think it is meant for any kind of underwater shooting!!! XD XD XD

In all seriousness... Things need to be designed, at least conceptually, by someone familiar with the intended use of the thing.

And I don't think that spearfishing is too inn lately in mainland China!

Just have a look at the offering of the chineese wet suits. I recall a particular add in one of the usual suspects (Aliexpress I believe) where the model was wearing the chin of the hood lifted all the way to the nose... Ninja style 100%!!! How the **** are you going to put the snorkel in your mouth?!?!?!!??!

They have the machines, the know how and are familiar with manufacturing... it is only a matter of time before someone really comes up with a nice design and they start cranking them out at a good pace. Big brands are going to shit their pants....
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

I love the "optical site' scope.
Makes you an instant pirate, they should have included the eye patch.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I doubt they designed it. I think this is for topside use, not underwater. Basically a bow fishing setup.
Exactly what I was thinking. That form of spearfishing seems to be growing in popularity.
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Pete, that's a spear gun in the strict sense that it shoots spears... but I don't think it is meant for any kind of underwater shooting!!! XD XD XD

In all seriousness... Things need to be designed, at least conceptually, by someone familiar with the intended use of the thing.

And I don't think that spearfishing is too inn lately in mainland China!

Just have a look at the offering of the chineese wet suits. I recall a particular add in one of the usual suspects (Aliexpress I believe) where the model was wearing the chin of the hood lifted all the way to the nose... Ninja style 100%!!! How the **** are you going to put the snorkel in your mouth?!?!?!!??!

They have the machines, the know how and are familiar with manufacturing... it is only a matter of time before someone really comes up with a nice design and they start cranking them out at a good pace. Big brands are going to shit their pants....
I think conservatively China makes over 50% of all spearfishing related items. To include many "Big brands"
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
popgun pete

Yes, a closer inspection reveals this "speargun" and the other version that comes in 3 different models is actually a "bowfishing" device and that explains the optical sights in model 3. I figured that the bands were too puny for marine use, as was the gun itself, but I wonder if this is "own technology" or "borrowed" from elsewhere.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

China's own technology spearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I think conservatively China makes over 50% of all spearfishing related items. To include many "Big brands"

Yep. E.g. I am fairly sure Omer makes a lot of their guns here, if not all. They def make fins and other stuff. Wetsuits might be from Thailand or China.

They do make some local wooden guns here (I am based in China), but they don't really look outrageous. There's a growing spearo scene out here and the vast majority use Euro guns from Euro brands.

That said, there are perhaps 10 or so Abellans here, too;-). Some Sea Snipers and RA, as well.

The closest to funky tech I have seen are some slings - will try to find pics and post again later.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-30-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
popgun pete

Another fishing gadget https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-304-St...oAAOSwAlJbi~cM

and yet another:https://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-Prong-Ha....c100005.m1851
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Ring-M....c100005.m1851

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-28-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:57 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Yeah, that stainless steel sling was the one I had in mind.
Of course, there'll be funky tech here. A lot of Chinese didn't grow up with water sports, many can't swim and it's only now that diving is catching on. Basically, in many ways, they are still catching up but it'll happen fast.
As for diving, it's hip and booming. The Chinese middle class has money to spend and has a huge appetite for trying out things a lot of you/us grew up with or had access to for generations. This is why, you will see Chinese now do it all pretty much in no time - they are hungry and want to try it all.

In reg. to freediving, it's been non-stop growth for a few years by now. I think there are probably 10-15.000 certified freedivers here. Perhaps 2000 new each year. But some of it is just fueled by that hunger to try new things - now that they can - so a lot of them will just take one course, get their pics taken diving on the rope and then move on to the next fun thing. No harm in that. But some will stay, and some will eventually take up spearing. It's said that 2000 people spearfish here but the legality of it is very much in a grey zone.
So, unless spearguns are outright banned, this number is certain to grow and it will also be a market that will be worth paying attention to for you builders and manufacturers overseas.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
popgun pete

There was an item on the TV News last night saying that China's growing appetite for seafood is depleting fish stocks all around the world as either they or others fish to meet the demand.

https://www.afr.com/news/world/ocean...0170429-gvvjx7
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
There was an item on the TV News last night saying that China's growing appetite for seafood is depleting fish stocks all around the world as either they or others fish to meet the demand.

https://www.afr.com/news/world/ocean...0170429-gvvjx7
I think it's fairly established that the Taiwanese fishing fleet is pretty much roaming the world with impunity. Have been so for a few decades by now. I sometimes come across reports of poaching in far-away places and more often than not, it's a Taiwanese vessel being caught. Profitable, immoral business opportunities drove them, I guess. Whether or not those catches end up in China I don't know but if I had to speculate the Taiwanese probably sell world wide. So, as so often the case, the consumer is not scot free, either. We should demand more transparency, more accountability from the industry and as a result, hopefully more sustainability. It's not easy but e.g. the lodging/timber industry and diamond companies have adopted standards and while there are loop holes and cheaters everywhere, it's better than nothing. (I could go on a rant about gun makers, furniture makers and boat builders being big on Made Wherever Else Than China but not being particular adamant about making sure their wood was sourced correctly. E.g. for three decades the UN tried to bring down the military rule of Burma and there was a trade embargo in effect - yet, Burmese teak was everywhere to be found. Same with rubies and jade...)

I watched a documentary on overfishing some years ago and I remember an interesting China point. If I am not mistaken, it went something like this: A specific fish species, can't recall which one, was seen as being overfished by researchers but then the Chinese fishing authorities had reported that their catches had been normal for years, seemingly proving that stock was still healthy and not declining. This led to quotas being kept up - contrary to the advice of the scientists - but then, according to the docu, it turned out that the reported numbers from China had been doctored. Perhaps not by the highest authorities but possibly lower down the chain by managers afraid of not being able to meet the targets set by some apparatchik higher up. For someone, like me, who lives in China that doesn't sound at all like an unlikely explanation.
Anyways, the sad result was that quotas were kept up and overfishing continued until the species finally took such a hit that everyone could see something was wrong.

Now, this is actually not meant as a China-bashing story. Most fishing nations have made horrible decisions - prime Western example in modern times is probably the huge collapse of the northern cod industry in Newfoundly where they had to declare a moratorium on it about 25 years ago. Even in my home country of Denmark, international environmental organizations claim that the Baltic cod quota is ten timers higher than what they consider scientifically sound. But there's a ton of money and jobs in that industry so politicians elected for four years at a time have a hard time thinking long term...

Anyways, that was probably a side tracking record of mine. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 11-02-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:36 AM   #13
popgun pete

Abalone is another area of over exploitation and China has leased some poorer countries coastal regions in order to exploit that resource. As China grows richer and its affluent upper class expands they want to eat more exotic foods and have the means to buy them, so short circuiting R&D by "borrowing" is propelling them to greater success. Plenty of smart people in China who can derive their own solutions to many technological problems, it makes me wonder why they bother to copy at all. Still if you go back half a century Japan operated much the same way, but never had the world markets that China aspires to.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:07 AM   #14
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Abalone is another area of over exploitation and China has leased some poorer countries coastal regions in order to exploit that resource. As China grows richer and its affluent upper class expands they want to eat more exotic foods and have the means to buy them, so short circuiting R&D by "borrowing" is propelling them to greater success. Plenty of smart people in China who can derive their own solutions to many technological problems, it makes me wonder why they bother to copy at all. Still if you go back half a century Japan operated much the same way, but never had the world markets that China aspires to.
Yeah, moving to Asia honestly opened my eyes to how important it is that we start really farming seafood - in a sustainable matter. I mean, we don't shoot wild buffalo on the prairies any longer, so in theory nothing wrong with farming fish.
A few years ago, I met a Japanese marine biologist who told me that a famous Japanese university had just managed to farm/breed their first ever generation of sustainable blue fin tuna. Thing is, most tuna farming is done by "stealing" fry or juvenile fish from nature and then farming those - hardly sustainable, though often billed as such. But supposedly these researchers had now, for the first time, managed to breed a full cycle generation all the way from the spawn of captive fish to, I think, 7-year-old "slaugterhouse ready" BFT. Still, plenty of other issues with keeping farmed fish in pens in the wild. Those need to be dealt with but if this is what it takes - and I think it is - to keep wild populations protected and healthy, then get it done. Then it should be easier to convince the politicians to reduce quotas, educuate the consumers that they don't have to have a bad conscience eating BFT and eventually, when the wild BFT population are healthy again, open up the quotas on those and charge even more for the wild stuff. The Japanese are not stupid, if they crack this one, it should be golden for their tuna industry - and they get to look good as well. (Yeah, I glossed over the supposedly distinct differences in the health of the two BFT populations, but that was not what the point was anyway).

As for abalone, I have been fortunate enough - through my work - to dive with and document the amazing South Korean freediving Sea Women, the Haenyeo. They make a living out of harvesting the oceans. They form co-ops and have their own designated fishing grounds with rigorously enforced "borders" which effectively stops overfishing. If the group over harvests e.g. abalone from their grounds, they wont have any left the next season - they effectively take themselves out of business for some years until the abalone comes back. Thus, the Haenyeo are extremely efficient at self-governing their catches.

E.g. here's one just moments after a Haenyeo (one of the best I ever dived with) pried it off a rock:
http://www.davidhogsholt.com/haenyeo...ce6498ad69b36b

It fetched the Haenyeo US200 and probably sold for much more once it made it to its final table in some affluent family's dining table in Seoul.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 11-02-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Yeah, moving to Asia honestly opened my eyes to how important it is that we start really farming seafood - in a sustainable matter. I mean, we don't shoot wild buffalo on the prairies any longer, so in theory nothing wrong with farming fish.
A few years ago, I met a Japanese marine biologist who told me that a famous Japanese university had just managed to farm/breed their first ever generation of sustainable blue fin tuna. Thing is, most tuna farming is done by "stealing" fry or juvenile fish from nature and then farming those - hardly sustainable, though often billed as such. But supposedly these researchers had now, for the first time, managed to breed a full cycle generation all the way from the spawn of captive fish to, I think, 7-year-old "slaugterhouse ready" BFT. Still, plenty of other issues with keeping farmed fish in pens in the wild. Those need to be dealt with but if this is what it takes - and I think it is - to keep wild populations protected and healthy, then get it done. Then it should be easier to convince the politicians to reduce quotas, educuate the consumers that they don't have to have a bad conscience eating BFT and eventually, when the wild BFT population are healthy again, open up the quotas on those and charge even more for the wild stuff. The Japanese are not stupid, if they crack this one, it should be golden for their tuna industry - and they get to look good as well. (Yeah, I glossed over the supposedly distinct differences in the health of the two BFT populations, but that was not what the point was anyway).

As for abalone, I have been fortunate enough - through my work - to dive with and document the amazing South Korean freediving Sea Women, the Haenyeo. They make a living out of harvesting the oceans. They form co-ops and have their own designated fishing grounds with rigorously enforced "borders" which effectively stops overfishing. If the group over harvests e.g. abalone from their grounds, they wont have any left the next season - they effectively take themselves out of business for some years until the abalone comes back. Thus, the Haenyeo are extremely efficient at self-governing their catches.

E.g. here's one just moments after a Haenyeo (one of the best I ever dived with) pried it off a rock:
http://www.davidhogsholt.com/haenyeo...ce6498ad69b36b

It fetched the Haenyeo US200 and probably sold for much more once it made it to its final table in some affluent family's dining table in Seoul.
There was a TV doco on these women recently which I tuned in on just as the program was ending. I had noticed it in the TV guide and my first thought was that it about the Japanese "Ama", the guide description was suitably vague, but I soon realized that it was Korea and not Japan. The ability of these women divers makes most of us feel like amateurs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ama_(diving)

This may have been the documentary https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3103440/
Haenyeo: Women of the Sea (2013)

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-02-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: more info