Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
diligaf

Angry FWC Meeting

I just got back from the FWC meeting, and things do not look good. I met Norm, the organizer of the Key West Tournament, down at the meeting and got the help of marine life lobbyist Bill Parks. We failed in our attempt to keep the “Florida Hogfish Fishery Assessment” from be sent to the Feds. In fact, the FWC staff had already sent the report to the feds and the feds already agreed accept the study for review, all this before they got the approval of the commission. In other words, we had no chance.

The feds will begin their assessment of the study in late January. In about 6 months the FWC staff will begin a new rule making process and public hearings will begin.

The FWC staff is really trying to STEAMROLL this issue. And there is a lot of talk about banning the use of scuba to harvest hogs and even if you freedive or they don’t ban scuba, the proposal is for a bag limit of 1 and a 20” minimum size.

Please keep in mind the staff may end up proposing less strict or stricter measures.

We need to start letting everyone know about this proposal. Please let your local dive shops and boats know. Everyone needs to get involved.

In about a week I’ll get more information on the procedures and find out when the feds are expected to make their recommendations. We need start preparing any data now, contacting any political connections we have, and start our own scientific review (with our own scientist, but I’ll have more on this latter). Then, several weeks before the feds make their recommendation, will need to start a massive email and letter writing campaign.

This is going to be a tough fight, much tougher than I anticipated. We all need to get involved.
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #2
Bottom Dweller
"Shizzit Stirrer"

It is sad how our "democratic " government works. It's amasing how the cart always comes before the horse.

Well, I guess we just have to fight it out because reasoning just doesn't get it done.
Bottom Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
RichT

This is not the first battle and certainly not the last but we are becoming more organized than ever.
In years past it was just to hard to get the information out to fellow spearfisherman concerning new legislation.With Spearboard,we have a way of sharing information and joining forces around the state and around the country.I think they are finding that its not going to be quite so easy any more.
The only way we will win however is if more than just a handfull of people become involved.
Keep writing those letters!!!
Thanks again Dave!(Diligaf)
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Spearchucker

What is the next step? For us to do?
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

NO MORE HOGFISH. NO MORE SPEARFISHING. LOBSTER ILLEGAL TO HARVEST. MOST OF ATLANTIC AND GULF COAST DECLARED AS MARINE PRESERVE; DIVING AND FISHING IS ILLEGAL IN THESE AREAS.
Sound a little far fetched? If it does, then you'd BETTER WAKE UP!
Once a right is relenquished, it DOES NOT COME BACK!!!!
Each and every one of you has a resposibility to protect your rights. ACT NOW OR TAKE UP GOLF.
I understand that there were only 60 letters of support sent to Rob for the Grays reef matter. 60 out of 1300+ members of the board. Apathy appears to be alive.
PAY ATTENTION AND GET INVOVED -OR-
GET F*@#ED.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
Charlestondivin

Actually ended up with 81 letters.

With all of this stuff going on it might finally be time to form a spearfishing organization to defend spearing rights.

It would also help clarify and direct our efforts.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Speargun
Sheepdog

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Spearchucker
What is the next step? For us to do?
Form the N.S.A. The National Spearfishing Association a bona fide not for profit organization.
Elect organization officers and send out signature cards to all members to sign to allow our representative to vote/speak for us at any of these meetings.
Sending individual emails is still a good thing, but our rep going to a meeting and officially speaking for 1000+ people carries much more weight.
We have began the ball rolling towards becoming a voice in political circles, but we need to increase the momentum. Without becoming a legitimate organization with the voice of hundreds or thousands of people, we will never have any power.

Another idea is to make contact with the NRA. They are a very powerful voice for hunters rights and even though we are hunting fish, we are still hunters. It might be possible to become a sub-organiztion of the NRA. This would be beneficial because they already have political ties and lobbyist in place at all levels of the government and would save us the cost and time of making our own political in-roads.
Other potential allies are any of the fishing organizations. Once spearfishing rights are taken away, the hook & line rights wont be far behind.

The squeeky wheel gets the oil. True.
But the person raking their fingernails down the chalkboard is going to get a lot more attention than the little squeeky wheel.

LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
RichT

81 out of 1376.
That is absolutely pathetic!!
Perhaps a lot of time goes by before many of these members sign on.Much of this has just been brought to our attention in the last couple of weeks.I certainly hope that is the case.
Maybe there is a way to send E-mail to members of spearboard when it involves something as important as this.
Speargun has some great ideas.
We have to form something before its to late.
If we were able to get a donation of 25 dollars from even 1000 of the members of this board,I think that might buy us a little representation.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
BluewaterRocket
Steel Slingin' Carnivore

Send a message via MSN to BluewaterRocket
Speargun - NSA is a great idea ! in the interim, we need to redirect our individual communications to the Feds. Anyone know where to voice our concerns at the Federal level. I'm definitely sending my congressman a letter but also want to target the right agency/agencies. NMFS ?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #10
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Mass appeal is needed to make this effort affect as many as possible. While NSA sounds great and defintely represents the spirit of the organization, it does have a polarizing effect with the use of the word 'spearfishing'.
I think (my OPINION) that an association name that encompasses a larger group would be more beneficial to the associations' cause. As we are talking about fishing rights in general, as well as tackle discrimination specifically, perhaps the name should include "Fishing". RFA, Recreational Fishing Association. OFA, Offshore Fishing Association. ARF, Association for Recreational Fishing. OFS, Offshore Fishing Society.
I very recently heard that such an organization was being discussed, one that has the knowledge and experience to organize, operate, motivate and fund the efforts needed to protect our RIGHTS. There are some who have already fought similar battles with similar oponents, and they are getting ready for a battle of epic proportions.
81 out of 1300 aint gonna get it. Capt. Rich- You said it.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!

Got numbers?

Last edited by Denny; 11-21-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:08 PM   #11
Speargun
Sheepdog

Psycho Killer - You're right about the name. It does limit our possible membership to spearfishing only. In my opinion, the name should represent what we are about and be broad enough to attract a large membership. The National Riflemen's Association isn't just about people with rifles; it also helps fight for gun ownership, hunting and trapping rights.
NSA was just a name I picked out of the blue to temporarily represent our cause. Once we are a little further along with the organization process, we should choose a name that fits what we are all about.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #12
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Jeff-
I hope I didn't sound like I was shooting down your idea. Not my intention at all. I applaud your enthusiasm and interest. We are lining up for a big fight and we need to stand as one. One BIG group of informed, involved and vocal opponents of fishing right infringements.

Got numbers?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
Speargun
Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Killer
Jeff-
I hope I didn't sound like I was shooting down your idea. Not my intention at all...
No offense taken. I knew that name wouldn't stick, but I had to call it something.
Once we are a little more organized, we can put out a bid for group names.

I kinda like the B.O.S.S Benevolent Order of Steel Slingers
Old 11-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #14
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Got numbers?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #15
Speargun
Sheepdog

If your read this post make sure that you also read the following posts and VOTE.

The NSA wants YOU!
The NSA wants YOU! #2