Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
jleworth

Exclamation JBL 4W44 Woody Sawed-Off fires on its own

Hey guys I have a 4W44 Woody Sawed-Off that I had issues with awhile back that have prevented me from using it since. First of all I will say that I always rinse and dry all my equipment after use and I will usually lube up the trigger mechanism with some lithium grease afterwards. On a dive last year I loaded the bands on the surface and dropped down to the bottom. The was safety on as usual and while I was adjusting buoyancy the spear released into the sand. I figured that maybe the sear was a little gummed up and it didn't lock on the shaft properly. I loaded the spear and released it a few times to try to free things up, it helped some and held with one band but released when I loaded the other. I was diving with my brother so for safetys sake I left it unloaded and finished the dive as a spectator. Back on the boat I loaded the spear and tried to pull it out of the gun and it held but the slightest twist let it release. I have a backup gun that I have been using but I'd like this one back. I have found that the plastic clamshell of the handle separates when you try to twist the spear and thats when it releases. I have opened up the handle and the trigger and sear were in good shape. The portion of the trigger that locks the sear was a little rounded over so I filed a few thousandths off to square it back up some. I also took the uppermost female post nut and shortened it a little to try to tighten the handle. So far this is as far as I have got and though its better I am still able to pull the spear out by hand with a effort. JBL says I need a new handle since that design has been proven discontinued due to this issue and they will repair it only if i send it to them and pay around $100. Personally I think that if the firing mechanism is defective the company should repair or replace it free of charge especially since its failure could kill someone. As I was writing this post my father was reading over my shoulder and reminded me that I could contact the attorney general of Florida about this issue. I think I will call JBL back once more before I do this and ask them if they are sure they do not want to stand behind their product. If anyone has this same issue, knows anything about this "discontinued handle", or has a suggestion on how to fix it please chime in.
jleworth is offline   Reply With Quote