Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #91
popgun pete

Re: The Infinite Engines Dreamair moves from dream to reality

I wonder if the winding drum covers will be fitted for weedy and rocky areas in order to protect the winding drum tracks. The track grooves need to be maintained in good order so that the cables wrap in exactly the same way each time the "Dreamair" gun is fired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	covers.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	239626  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #92
popgun pete

I was just thinking that high speed spinning items can function like a gyroscope which would tend to stabilize the "Dreamair" gun during the shot as the winding drums and axle certainly spin rapidly. Another consideration is that having been spun up to a certain velocity how is their rotational inertia handled in order to bring the spinning assembly to a halt. There does not appear to be a wishbone catcher as such, so that task must fall to the inner cable anchor point which would receive quite a jerk when it pulled up the winding drums and axle assembly to stop them spinning after the shot.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #93
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I was just thinking that high speed spinning items can function like a gyroscope which would tend to stabilize the "Dreamair" gun during the shot as the winding drums and axle certainly spin rapidly. Another consideration is that having been spun up to a certain velocity how is their rotational inertia handled in order to bring the spinning assembly to a halt. There does not appear to be a wishbone catcher as such, so that task must fall to the inner cable anchor point which would receive quite a jerk when it pulled up the winding drums and axle assembly to stop them spinning after the shot.
Andreas Zournatzis himself supplied the answer to this query. What happens is at the end of the shot the piston has reached its most rearwards travel in the gun (remember the piston moves forwards when the "Dreamair" gun is being cocked) with the axle and winding drums assembly still spinning. As they continue to rotate they will start to wrap the inner cable in the opposite direction to which it is usually wound on the inner drum, in which case the piston is dragged forwards again against the air pressure in the gun. This serves to brake the spinning assembly as its rotational inertia cannot do much work against the gun's start pressure, hence a form of "pneumatic braking" takes place on the spinning axle and winding drums assembly.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #94
popgun pete

The "Dreamair" gun will be available in various stock lengths, the most common size appearing first as the winding drum groove spiral track lengths define the working course of the spear (i.e. the operating or power stroke of the gun).
Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 AM   #95
Mikel_24

I have been reading about this gun for a while and it seems interesting. I am curious to see how it works in the hands of a bunch of spearos with no particular knowledge about the internals of the gun. Usually simpler is better.... and this gun mechanism is anything but simple. True, a space shuttle is more complicated, but we are talking about stringing fish here.
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #96
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I have been reading about this gun for a while and it seems interesting. I am curious to see how it works in the hands of a bunch of spearos with no particular knowledge about the internals of the gun. Usually simpler is better.... and this gun mechanism is anything but simple. True, a space shuttle is more complicated, but we are talking about stringing fish here.
Bar checking the air pressure from time to time I doubt that anyone would need to know anything about it in order to use it. It will be a turn key type of device, just pick it up and use it and then wash it off afterwards. No water ever enters the gun except for around the trigger mechanism, which is the same for every band powered speargun on the planet.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #97
popgun pete

First "Dreamair" spearguns released will be 100 cm models. The wishbone draw on the top deck is equivalent to the spiral track groove length on the winding drums.

The "Dreamair" speargun is a high speed winching device using a closed cycle pneumatic energy storage accumulator to catapult spears at high velocity via a CVT action cable drive system. As such it constitutes a complete revolution in the field of underwater arms for spearfishermen seeking a versatile weapon of wide ranging shooting powers and high levels of accuracy.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #98
popgun pete

I have the car, now all I need is the "Dreamair" guns to go with it! (refer post #56)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lamborghini-lm002-silver.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	239719  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #99
popgun pete

"Dreamair" underwater rifle using CVT action cable drive system powered by energy stored in non-consumptive pneumatic accumulator will soon be released to the spearfishing market.

In anticipation I asked whether a "Dreamair" speargun will fit inside a neoprene "gundom" and the answer is that it does, provided that you remove the reel from the gun. A "gundom" is a zippered speargun cover made from “camo” neoprene wetsuit material and will protect the “Dreamair” gun’s outer winding drums from handling impacts. I use these soft covers as you can roll them up when not in use unlike a hard shell gun case.

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-24-2018 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #100
popgun pete

Now we just have to wait, but as I mentioned a long time ago the signal that things are moving is that the www.infinitengines.com web-site will come back to life. Very early on it showed the astronaut floating around with a white "Dreamair" in a CGI rendition and a few other dramatic and eye-catching poster style presentations, but then it all stopped working and the link was broken. So just click on it every now and then to see if anything is happening as Andreas thinks the next posts here and elsewhere should be when the "Dreamair" gun is officially launched. Hopefully that will not be too far away as I have been “stoking the fire” so to speak in order to maintain interest and build momentum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	infinitengines-2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	240007  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-02-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #101
popgun pete

On the Greek spearfishing web-site I found these interesting views of inside the barrel of a multi-axle gun as can be seen by the two sets of sub-pulleys being used. This would be a four axle gun as there are four cable strands running towards the muzzle, one cable per inner winding drum on each axle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dreamair barrel interior 1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	240219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dreamair barrel interior 2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	240220  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #102
popgun pete

The "Dreamair" speargun, which for all intents and purposes functions as a band gun in terms of how you load and cock it, will be available in two versions, an alloy body gun and a carbon fiber gun with the same hardware in terms of the winding drums and trigger mechanism.

I am wondering which version would be preferred, the alloy gun has an oval piston moving in a matching bore, the carbon fiber version has a cylindical piston moving in a cylindrical bore so that the rest of the gun body has flanking crescent shaped chambers to fill out the sides, but otherwise the guns will be the same except for the weight.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #103
popgun pete

There is still no announcement from the company, but assuming the gun works OK and the only thing that you have to pay attention to is the continued even wrapping of the outer cables on the winding drums, how many people would be interested in buying one? The interior of the gun is sealed so that water never gets inside it except for whatever moisture in the atmosphere is pushed into the gun when you pump it up. The power of the "Dreamair" can be altered between dives by adjusting the air pressure inside it by bleeding air out or adding air with the hand pump. The main consequence of using compressed air as a frictionless and low loss spring is that the gun body has a certain girth along its length which means it cannot have a long tapered muzzle section as some band guns do. Although it is not a rollergun the wide head with the beehive shape winding drums makes the "Dreamair" more like a rollergun in terms of the outer envelope and the continued push on the spear for the full length of the gun.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #104
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

Send a message via ICQ to Mulloway Send a message via MSN to Mulloway

I have been following this thread for the longest time and have been waiting patiently for someone to actually shoot it and provide a field report.

i started spearing with a cheap bandgun and was introduced to Cyrano, along the way i accumulated a few customised bandguns but i am still shooting cyranoes 99.9% of the time.... hahaha. I have this itch recently, the itch to add another gun to my collection, i was thinking of getting my first eurogun, preferably with an enclosed track. now Dreamair seems like an option too.

is it as maintenance free as a Cyrano?
Mulloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 AM   #105
popgun pete

No one really knows outside of the company and the gun testers who have been pumping shots through them. However the interior of the gun never gets wet as unlike a pneumatic gun the piston does not act against the water, it provides power by turning the winding drum axle and the winding drums in turn haul thin cables (extended wishbones in a sense) that pull the spear. The axles have ball bearing mountings with dynamic rubber seals rather like a gearbox has oil seals to keep the oil in and dirt and water out in an automobile transaxle or gearbox with protruding output shafts.

The outer dyneema cables will not last forever, but I expect that you change them over before the next season starts as changing them will be one of the few times that you ever put a spanner on the gun (a special spanner is supplied with the gun). Something to watch out for is to avoid bashing the outer winding drums on hard surfaces that might damage the spiral tracks in the alloy winding drums as it is important that the cables wind on exactly the same way for every shot and evenly side to side as that guarantees the spear pulls straight on the gun’s shaft guide track.

Everything else is virtually like a standard band gun, so you just rinse it off or dunk it in a water tub. The only other thing that I can think of is piston stick which pneumatic guns suffer by not being used for a very long time, say over winter. The fix for that is to depressurize the gun in the off-season as that takes load off the piston seals which in the "Dreamair" gun are large due to the big cross-sectional area internal piston.