Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Riffe or Koah
Riffe Euro 35 32.41%
Koah Euro 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #31
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

Not nearly as blocky as my Little Mermaid flops. But those sparkle and Ariel lights up every time i step. You better not be talking crap about my aquatic theme foot protectors tho. I paid hard earned money for those!!
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #32
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
I'd really like to go into extreme detail but out of respect for the re-sellers of the Koah, I will not. Three of us had a go at six blue water guns… junk, ALL OF THEM. Oh sure, they look all purdy, but… Riffe has better customer service, stands behind their products, won't give you lip service or attitude, they have been in the business a tad longer, the quality control actually exists with Riffe and Riffe guns perform time and again. Boxy or not, who cares, so long as the whole package is there and Riffe has never let me down, ever. I know that there are a whole bunch of folks that use Koah guns and are extremely happy with them and will blindly defend them like cult followers but the reality of the matter is the quality control and attitude leaves something to be desired to say the least. I’m sure that some of their guns are fine but I would never even think of purchasing a blue water gun from them. You probably would be fine getting a gun in that size range and style from Koah but again, if we are talking about the whole package and not just the gun, go with a Riffe. So before everyone gets all bitchy I'm not badmouthing Koah, just sharing my thoughts and experiences.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #33
johndoelman
KOAH Spearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I see this kid post all the time...I think he has a Koah button on his keyboard.

I've never seen a Koah in person. I would like to see one someday. I haven't seen one post on this entire forum tell me WHY they are good. With all do respect, I'd like to hear it. The components are Neptonics, same as a lot of other good offerings out there these days. So, let's hear it. I could tell someone exactly why I own the particular guns I own, including a Riffe. Can y'all Florida boys do it for SB?

...and yes, not that it really matters, but the Koah is blocky. If it were a car, it would be an 1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme. For comparison, an Ulusub is a '49 Merc.
Remember this thread is comparing koah to riffe compare a koah euro to riffe euro if you cant see the difference I dont know what to tell you our guns are shaped better no plastic handles on our guns our mechs are twice as thick and heavy duty we have an enclosed track our guns are ballasted and we have an awesome durable finish.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #34
otherxendxup
Dustin

Are Tonys flip flops blocky when compared to spearguns? Or compared to other sandals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	geta000.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	205916  
otherxendxup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #35
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Funny, it seems that the majority people on this thread are in some way bashing Koah. But if you look at the poll, twice as many people would own the Koah vs Riffe. Is that what you call a silent majority?

Disclaimer: I don't own or want to own a euro gun. Basically, I don't give a ____.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #36
Nix

I've never used a koan but I have experience with Riffe. I think riffe are terribly outdated mass produced guns. I have seen the muzzles break, trigger failures, delaminations and warping by my friends riffes. I'd never give my money to rife for a gun. The riffs euros in particular warp and delaminate easier, but only some of them, so good luck.

I voted for koah by default. In a world where 2 guns existed I'd buy them.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
metelin
steve veros

Send a message via Yahoo to metelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool View Post
Everyone body knows my new Abellan Denton speargun is the shit.... for now! I've been eyeing those Benthos spearguns lately also! Yes I agree with Tony, you will have your Wong lovers, Riffe fanatics, Koah hooligans, Sea Sniper Mafia's, Impaler groupies and Ulusub hanger on's. At the end of the day every builder has his idea of what the perfect gun is and it's up to the customer to decide. As long as you're bringing fish home for dinner then all it's good!
well said, ultimately its the buyer who decides by putting down the cash but this is a forum and people will critique a design and the maker should look at the critique, filter through it and move forward. that is my idea of a forum, to advance equipment for all of our benefit through dialog.

having said that, ulusub is my choice of a design in wood that combines form and function currently made in the states. there are several in europe.

Last edited by metelin; 05-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.
metelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #38
acteg

Late to the party, but I own a Koah fatback, albeit, second hand. It is blocky, and seemed to have a ton of drag in a current compared to my biller. So much so, that I tried alternate methods of holding it so the current wouldnt drag on it so much. The guy who sold it to me, sold it because of the drag as well (he was a scooter guy though). Despite being blocky and dragging, it still seems to track well. Fit and finish is average to poor when compared to a mass produced product, produced by a manufacturer that has invested in tooling and industrial processes to ensure the design is reproduceable with minimal variation. Some things on my koah appear to be eyeballed for lack of a better word.

The jury is still out as far as keeping it goes, but I am still getting used to it, so want to give it more time.
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #39
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by acteg View Post
It is blocky, and seemed to have a ton of drag in a current compared to my biller..
Do you have a legitimate response to the photos I provided, or are you making this stuff up as we go along. What you are saying literally contradicts the photos and measurements. Im fully aware of what an ab biller tracks like btw. Comparing a mid handle to a rear handle(with a long useless butt) is mildly amusing, i hope people don't actually think they are nearly the same.. ALSO....this thread was about EUROs. We've already established that the older mid handles have more flatter areas earlier as well...just because you don't know how to properly track your weapon, doesn't specifically make it the fault of the gun. If you are using your wrist to twist or point the gun in the direction you need to fire, your doing it wrong...
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #40
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoelman View Post
Remember this thread is comparing koah to riffe compare a koah euro to riffe euro if you cant see the difference I dont know what to tell you our guns are shaped better no plastic handles on our guns our mechs are twice as thick and heavy duty we have an enclosed track our guns are ballasted and we have an awesome durable finish.
This is a perfect response. And no, I have never seen a true testimonial yet, because I HAVE been waiting for one. But then again, I don’t visit the Florida sections of this forum. My post was intended to be fun, hence the stupid smilies. It is difficult to gauge that in text though. I actually think you are pretty badass kid, to be honest, holding that cobia up and all in your avatar. When I was 16, my biggest catch was probably a 4 pound largemouth bass or something. So, keep getting em’!

As far as these polls go, I agree that they are not a good way to get info. Frankly, I cannot imagine much that they would be good for. I cringe every time I see them. Unfortunately, they are in the gun section and members keep posting on them and bumping them up. I have been meaning to write something out re my thoughts on picking a gun, so a shorter version is in order today. The biggest point that should be made, is that this forum is not suitable for making such a decision at face value. What it can be good for, is asking a specific question re a specific product or process, assuming it cannot already be found in a search of past threads. Or, more importantly, it could serve as a way to connect with others who actually own the product, go diving with them, try the product out for yourself, and then make a truly informed decision. This is the BEST way to pick equipment, period!

Koah is well represented on this forum by members, more so in Florida than anywhere else. Other brands are not and that says something. Koah owners clearly love the products that they own. It’s a relatively new brand with a unique look. When I go out on charter boats, some of the guys that have the crudest looking guns are also the ones who are getting it done out there. That is not to say that that Koah is undesirable looking to me personally. I look at the guns and see some features that I like a lot that I don’t see on other guns. Having some mass and recesses, to mention a couple of features, is not a bad thing, especially on bigger guns. Look at all of the crap that some of the guys put on bigger Riffes. It is absurd to think of one buying an expensive, partially complete piece of equipment.

Bashing a brand as well represented as Koah is not cool. The same holds true for other brands as well. Anytime one sees it, it should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if someone is posting from some faraway place. I can think of another brand that I don’t care for that gets bashed almost daily, but has a huge user base on this forum. Nobody wants to come home, turn on the computer, open the forum, and read about some anonymous person bashing the products they own. In many cases, the basher has no real experience with the product and likely little diving experience in general. It’s one thing to not have your expectations met, it is another to take odds with it at multiple levels. With the exception of Four Seas and maybe a few others, most, if not all of the blasphemous claims made at a company have been debunked in one way or another. Taking a look at past threads reveals this. Having a very specific problem with a product and posting it can be warranted at some times. It is useful to others and really a major purpose of the forum.

People that use Koah are going to recommend Koah. Similarly, people who use Riffe are going to recommend Riffe. Personally, I think it’s pretty cool that Florida guys are close to a real American speargun manufacturer. I am close to one in Southern California, and I feel no connection to it whatsoever. So, OP, and others looking for advice on picking a speargun, please seek a more pro-active approach. You would not pick a car, a house, a girlfriend, or much anything else in this aimless fashion. Why start now?
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
acteg

KWTONY,

Good point and duely noted, I didn't realize this was Euro specific. I have no experience with the Koah Euro, just my blocky Fatback. My feedback/comparison was based on the fatback, which doesn't apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Do you have a legitimate response to the photos I provided, or are you making this stuff up as we go along. What you are saying literally contradicts the photos and measurements. Im fully aware of what an ab biller tracks like btw. Comparing a mid handle to a rear handle(with a long useless butt) is mildly amusing, i hope people don't actually think they are nearly the same.. ALSO....this thread was about EUROs. We've already established that the older mid handles have more flatter areas earlier as well...just because you don't know how to properly track your weapon, doesn't specifically make it the fault of the gun. If you are using your wrist to twist or point the gun in the direction you need to fire, your doing it wrong...
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #42
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Let me post up on how it was shown (by the nice folks at seasniper) to properly track your weapon....I use this when i chase those pesky swordfish around

https://vimeo.com/95883292
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Question to the koah guys
Does the shape bother you at all? I've never seen one in person but in the pics they look like someone rough cut a gun and hit em with the sander... Just blocky and somewhat unfinished. I know you Florida boys kill all kinds of stuff with them so they work for sure but especially with spearguns, aesthetics and functionality are not mutually exclusive at all. There are so many builders who build gorgeous guns out of wood that send shafts down range the same way...
Kyle I shoot a Koah next time I see out out there check it out. Its not anything like you described it lol.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #44
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by acteg View Post
KWTONY,

Good point and duely noted, I didn't realize this was Euro specific. I have no experience with the Koah Euro, just my blocky Fatback. My feedback/comparison was based on the fatback, which doesn't apply here.
Your feedback is necessary to this post, As long as your opinion is legitimate, backed with a reasonable explanation, and not something you read about online. Im glad you chimed in, good or bad. Tooling and finish is something thats important for any gun, Euros or not.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #45
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoelman View Post
X's 2

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com

Last edited by Lyterkillsling; 05-23-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote