Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
Narced_up

How short is too short? Will this damage my barrel ?

I think it will damage my carbon fiber barrel .
Please tell me it’s a bad idea and I’m stupid for even asking

https://ibb.co/npnfmo
Narced_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Mendicant

Re: How short is too short? Will this damage my barrel ?

I'd try it at least once.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
e.m.p!

fix flopper on top – problem sorted.
e.m.p! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 AM   #4
Mikel_24

One thing is having the tip of the flopper resting on the muzzle, and another thing is having the whole flopper well behind the muzzle and over the track.

Flopper on top might be the solution, but if you are trying to maximize the distance you are shooting, then it should be at the bottom.

Are you trying to reuse a shorter than usual shaft on that gun or you are actually planning on buying such a short shaft?
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
e.m.p!

Uh, I just noticed the open muzzle – how are you planning to wrap your shooting line over the spear? In front of the flopper won't do it.
I suggest buying a new one.
e.m.p! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #6
Nicholasclf

What’s the length of the gun? Depending on the length, the shaft will now have a slight ‘bend’ as it isn’t sitting flat on the track. This may cause accuracy problems. I suggest you just get a longer shaft that would sit right on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholasclf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Narced_up

Hey guys

Thanks for the advice, I figured I needed a longer shaft.
I just needed to hear that before I ordered a new shaft or bite the bullet and deal with the added expense & time exchanging the shaft!
I upgraded my trigger mech so I ordered a 7.5cm shaft and got it 10cm shorter (to compensate for the extra weight) - but I guess it was a too short, the Ermes trigger mech pushes the shaft a lil forward too.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

I know a pathos carbon laser 130 with an ermes mech needs a 160 cm shaft to sit perfectly with the flopper resting in the notch just like the stock shafts. I have a 7.5 mm that shoots like a laser with two 14.5mm small ID bands at 400%. I also have a 8mm and an 8.5 mm shaft for that gun. With the 8.5mm shaft I add a 3rd small ID band. The shafts I get are spearcrafters shafts from Red Tide Spearfishing. They are awesome shafts. The floppers, when folded, are 6 inches from the tip if that helps your search.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #9
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
I have a 7.5 mm that shoots like a laser with two 14.5mm small ID bands at 400%. I also have a 8mm and an 8.5 mm shaft for that gun.
Sea Archer, I have a question because a friend of mine is considering a Pathos Laser Open (aluminium, not carbon if that matters). Up to which shaft diameter is your gun still positive or neutral buoyancy wise?

Our plan is to use the gun in stock form (6,5mm shaft + 19mm single band) and in the future, if required, install a thicker shaft and 2 14mm bands. I was thinking 7mm at most for the shaft. but we could live with 6,75.

The thing is that we don't want it to become a sinker. That's hell on the wrist.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mikel_24; 07-25-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

pathos 110 sold in Oz with 6.75mm shaft. Nice tab placement and finish, and cheap to buy but i’ve found them to bend easily.
7mm Hunt shaft with loading tab is a huge improvement and will last forever.
7.5mm shafts and above make the stock gun too nose heavy for my liking
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

.....that said, if u can get a pathos on special for two hundred bucks, and a spare shaft for another sixty......bargain!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Sea Archer, I have a question because a friend of mine is considering a Pathos Laser Open (aluminium, not carbon if that matters). Up to which shaft diameter is your gun still positive or neutral buoyancy wise?

Our plan is to use the gun in stock form (6,5mm shaft + 19mm single band) and in the future, if required, install a thicker shaft and 2 14mm bands. I was thinking 7mm at most for the shaft. but we could live with 6,25.

The thing is that we don't want it to become a sinker. That's hell on the wrist.

Thanks!
Hey Mikel, I have comparatively heavy shafts that I use for this gun. 6.25 and 7mm shafts wont make it through the day here. The fish turn them into pretzels. I like to use a 7.5mm shaft on this gun because I only need 2 -14.5 mm small i.d. bands to push it, but I have had big grouper bend many 7.5mm and a few 8.0 mm shafts.

With a 7.5mm shaft and a riffe reel it is barely negative so you would probably be fine with a 7mm shaft. One thing that helps the wrist with this gun is that it is set up to use shaft lengths with very little overhang so that the flopper is tucked up and resting in the notch in the muzzle. This way the gun is not muzzle heavy and is kinder on the wrist.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
Narced_up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

Our plan is to use the gun in stock form (6,5mm shaft + 19mm single band) and in the future, if required, install a thicker shaft and 2 14mm bands. I was thinking 7mm at most for the shaft. but we could live with 6,25.

Thanks!
A Pathos Carbon 110 w/ 7mm will float . All the way up from the bottom . Ask me how I know ! Twice!
Old 07-25-2018, 02:15 AM   #14
Mikel_24

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated! I think that we will probably buy an of-the-shelf Pathos Laser Open (aluminum) in 100 and us as is. Further down the road go with 7mm shaft and 2x14mm small id.

Thanks a lot!

Narced_up, does the gun have enough room between the muzzle and barrel plug to install some ballast?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #15
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

The aluminium pathos open does NOT float with shaft in