Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: I Touched the Pickled Pelican

I've never detected any iodine taste in porgies. The white meat pretty much takes on whatever you season it with much like any other pure white meat fish like Hogs and Lionfish.
White meat fish aren't really suited for a fish bullion. You've got to have some flavor in there. The cream really knocks down any 'fishiness' and balances out the flavors into a rich delicious rue balanced with the fish oils from the darker meat fish.
I love Thai food but that brown fermented fish sauce is disgusting to me. I had a Japanese coworker that loved it though.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #17
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
I award myself a hat.

Once I grilled Porgy and thought it tasted of iodine, compared to the other fish I grilled. Next time I go out, though, it's time for some target practice on grunts and Porgies so I can make more Sherpa Stew ®
There are sometimes certain individual (porgie) fish that have a stink of iodine. I forgot that. It is quite a strong odor. If they smell like that when cleaning them, I just toss them. Maybe 5% of the fish?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
D Schmitt

I usually just read these, but I like pelicans...
D Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Schmitt View Post
I usually just read these, but I like pelicans...
First Post! I win! Please submit your recipes - I've always wondered what to pair with roast pelican.

Welcome to the board!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Eibwen

Awesome report and cooking photos! If you do the coconut curry consider throwing in some lemongrass. It also has magical properties.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #21
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Awesome report and cooking photos! If you do the coconut curry consider throwing in some lemongrass. It also has magical properties.
Thanks for the tip - my mom grows lemongrass, so I have access to it fresh but I've never used it - how do you add it? Chop it up like green onions? Whole chunks to be removed later? Would you put it in the stock or in the final product soup/curry? Welcome to Spearboard!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #22
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

the fish soup looks delicious. looks like everyone had a good time... and that's all that matters.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #23
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Thanks for the tip - my mom grows lemongrass, so I have access to it fresh but I've never used it - how do you add it? Chop it up like green onions? Whole chunks to be removed later? Would you put it in the stock or in the final product soup/curry? Welcome to Spearboard!
Lemongrass tends to stay a bit woody although I eat it and think it is fine (in Thai soups they don't remove it either). Some people might just peel an outer layer, chop into 3-4" sections, crush, add to soup base, and remove afterwards. You can treat it kind of how you would a green onion. There should be a browner outer layer of skin you can peel off & discard and then I usually chop diagonally 1/8" slices. Since you're straining you'll be removing it eventually anyway but by that time it will have imparted its flavor.

Lemongrass is a staple in Thai dishes and I'd venture to say that if you're adding coconut milk or coconut curry to something that lemongrass is always a worthy consideration.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #24
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Lemongrass tends to stay a bit woody although I eat it and think it is fine (in Thai soups they don't remove it either). Some people might just peel an outer layer, chop into 3-4" sections, crush, add to soup base, and remove afterwards. You can treat it kind of how you would a green onion. There should be a browner outer layer of skin you can peel off & discard and then I usually chop diagonally 1/8" slices. Since you're straining you'll be removing it eventually anyway but by that time it will have imparted its flavor.

Lemongrass is a staple in Thai dishes and I'd venture to say that if you're adding coconut milk or coconut curry to something that lemongrass is always a worthy consideration.
Nice info, thanks!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #25
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
the fish soup looks delicious. looks like everyone had a good time... and that's all that matters.
Best fish stew you will ever have.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #26
Greasy Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I've never detected any iodine taste in porgies. The white meat pretty much takes on whatever you season it with much like any other pure white meat fish like Hogs and Lionfish.
White meat fish aren't really suited for a fish bullion. You've got to have some flavor in there. The cream really knocks down any 'fishiness' and balances out the flavors into a rich delicious rue balanced with the fish oils from the darker meat fish.
I love Thai food but that brown fermented fish sauce is disgusting to me. I had a Japanese coworker that loved it though.
***Roux
Greasy Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #27
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

***You Cajuns and your fancy French words.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #28
jersymudsniper

I'd chop a pinky off before i ate fish heads.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #29
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
I'd chop a pinky off before i ate fish heads.
The brains had a surprisingly delicate flavor, reminiscent of fish stew.

Last edited by Tyson Brown; 06-29-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Made a different joke, found out it was actually one more entendre that I even realized. And then Marcus was right
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #30
TeamRuiner
Freedive!

Nice catch!
TeamRuiner is offline   Reply With Quote