Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
DISKSKO

Panama 2011 spearfishing yf tuna safari:

Hi all,
As previously announced, I am now working with a new, reputable charter operation in Panama (NW coast) and I would like to announce specific details for the next YFT safari that I am organizing.

Personally, I will be in Panama around APRIL 12-21. Although anyone can go anytime between now and June, there are open spots for interested spearos.
This year we are making a 500% upgrade in terms of lodging, boats, equipment, captains, and comfort, staying with the guys from www.fishpanamatoday.com

I have summarized some of the basics below. FOR FULL DETAILS PLEASE IM ME WITH YOUR EMAIL:

Located on Isla Parida, the lodge offers all of the modern comforts including AC, 2 hot water showers, solar powered lighting, ice, fans, and triple purified water.

Cuisine is served overlooking the volcanic rocks and panoramic ocean views of the surrounding islands from our spacious deck. Meals are prepared fresh and include fruits, vegetables and seafood from the island, including a wonderful array of Panamanian and American dishes, homemade breads as well as a variety of appetizers and drinks.

Available dates:
- Jan 29-Feb 4
- Feb 20-Mar 6
- Mar19-25
- All April and May

FISHING CONDITIONS: With its ideal location, the world renowned Hannibal Bank, Isla Coiba, Isla Montuosa, Islas Secas, Islas Ladrones and the 1,000-fathom line are all just a short run away - we’ve eliminated the long boat ride to and from the fishing grounds.
What makes this area so remarkable is the unique bathymetry dominated by undersea canyons. These features create banks and pinnacles that often peak less than 50-feet from the surface. With the strong underwater currents that are associated, baitfish are forced towards the surface bringing larger predators and highly prized game fish in tow.

SPORT FISHING CHARTER BOATS

1) 33-foot custom center console sport fishing World Cat, T.O.P. Cat, powered by Twin Four Stroke Yamahas outboard cruises at 35 mph. (Maximum 5 Anglers).
2) 26-foot custom center console sport fishing Sea Craft, Scandalous, powered by twin 130 hp Hondas. (Maximum 5 Anglers).

CHARTER FISHING TACKLE
From Penn international 30-50w on Star shorts, Shimano Saragosa Reels, & AFT Reels, TLD 25s, Trevela Rods, Kristal Electric Reels- downriggers, outriggers, live bait rigging, dead bait rigging and special lure fishing – popping, jigging, high speed offshore trolling, planers, z-wings, and specialized patterns.

CHEERS!
BEN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ben tuna.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	144851   Click image for larger version

Name:	27975_1427067005146_1486931891_1089192_6103536_n.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	144852  

www.spearfishingtravel.com

----------------------------------
Spots that are listed (or will be) on SpearfishingTravel.com: S. Africa, Madagascar, Morocco, Egypt - Thailand, Bali, Saipan, India - Australia, Coral Sea, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Tahiti - Mexico, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, Brasil...Hawaii, Florida, Luisiana, New Jersey, California, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, N.Carolina - Spain, Norway, Turkey.

Ben.
DISKSKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: Panama 2011 spearfishing yf tuna safari:

Now that sounds like a set up operation! Just a question though is that for the 2012 calander year? I only ask becuase some of those you posted have already past.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISKSKO View Post
Hi all,
As previously announced, I am now working with a new, reputable charter operation in Panama (NW coast) and I would like to announce specific details for the next YFT safari that I am organizing.

Personally, I will be in Panama around APRIL 12-21. Although anyone can go anytime between now and June, there are open spots for interested spearos.

This year we are making a 500% upgrade in terms of lodging, boats, equipment, captains, and comfort, staying with the guys from www.fishpanamatoday.com

I have summarized some of the basics below. FOR FULL DETAILS PLEASE IM ME WITH YOUR EMAIL:

Available dates:
- Jan 29-Feb 4
- Feb 20-Mar 6
- Mar19-25
- All April and May

FISHING CONDITIONS: With its ideal location, the world renowned Hannibal Bank, Isla Coiba, Isla Montuosa, Islas Secas, Islas Ladrones and the 1,000-fathom line are all just a short run away - we’ve eliminated the long boat ride to and from the fishing grounds.

CHEERS!
BEN.
Ben, It sounds like you had a great trip & speared some great fish!

I'm interested in Hannibal Bank, but there is a rumor that it is illegal to spear fish at Hannibal Bank and Isla Montusa. What is the deal???

Last edited by steepNdeep; 03-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
inshanity

Quote:
FISHING CONDITIONS: With its ideal location, the world renowned Hannibal Bank, Isla Coiba, Isla Montuosa, Islas Secas, Islas Ladrones and the 1,000-fathom line are all just a short run away
Just wanted to clarify you can't spear at Isla Coiba. Its a shame too...

Steep - that whole rumor is BS. You can spear montousa and hannibal. Those areas of the marine park aren't designated as catch and release like the rest of it. All the sportfishing charters in the area advertise this as well.

Last edited by inshanity; 03-04-2011 at 12:49 AM.
inshanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

the law seems to indicate that hanibal and montillosa are within the bioshpere of cobia and there is no commercial fishing allowed
hook and line is allowed
spearfishing???
Up to interpretation
you know sperfishing is sooo easy thats its like commercial fishing right

you better have a permit

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISKSKO View Post
I am pretty sure it is legal. One thing is the national park, where Steve´s guide was busted, and another is Hannibal & Montuosa, which are not in the park.
Where did you get your info Ben? I just googled Coiba & found this document:

COIBA NATIONAL PARK & ITS SPECIAL ZONE OF MARINE PROTECTION REPUBLIC OF PANAMA:

"The property also includes Montuosa Island (136 ha), 21.3 nautical miles (nearly 40 km) west, and Hannibal reef, an underwater sea-mount 12.6 n.m. (23.3 km) west. The National Park with the Special Zone of Marine Protection now covers 60% of the continental shelf and 90% of the islands within the Gulf of Chiriqí. Coiba itself has 15 rivers and 240 kilometers of coastline."

Inshanity - Where did you get that info? This document does not specify any regulations for spearfishing.

I'd want to see the spear fishing regs in writing before I thought about going down there...
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
Where did you get your info Ben? I just googled Coiba & found this document:

COIBA NATIONAL PARK & ITS SPECIAL ZONE OF MARINE PROTECTION REPUBLIC OF PANAMA:

"The property also includes Montuosa Island (136 ha), 21.3 nautical miles (nearly 40 km) west, and Hannibal reef, an underwater sea-mount 12.6 n.m. (23.3 km) west. The National Park with the Special Zone of Marine Protection now covers 60% of the continental shelf and 90% of the islands within the Gulf of Chiriqí. Coiba itself has 15 rivers and 240 kilometers of coastline."

Inshanity - Where did you get that info? This document does not specify any regulations for spearfishing.

I'd want to see the spear fishing regs in writing before I thought about going down there...

good job pointing that out
just like a lot of other places in the world

$$$$$$ you got to have the permits $$$$$$

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
inshanity

Quote:
I've seen the park map that includes the montuosa area, and its seperate regulations. It says you can catch and keep unlike the rest of the park. As far as knowing if spearfishing specifically is allowed, my friend has been in the park office and they gave him permission/permits to do so. If you go there, dont get caught without them, they are vigilant, and strictly enforce rules.
inshanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
DISKSKO

I have checked and it seems that indeed Hannibal & Montuosa are ok.

I just confirmed dates for my trip, looking at April 12-21. Got another spearo almost confirmed, and open to 1 more person if they are interested. Can get a discount too, so PM me if interested!

Been watching recent videos online, the season is good this year. I hear they just landed the all-tackle fishin WR tuna...

Spots that are listed (or will be) on SpearfishingTravel.com: S. Africa, Madagascar, Morocco, Egypt - Thailand, Bali, Saipan, India - Australia, Coral Sea, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Tahiti - Mexico, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, Brasil...Hawaii, Florida, Luisiana, New Jersey, California, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, N.Carolina - Spain, Norway, Turkey.

Ben.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
Ben, It sounds like you had a great trip & speared some great fish!

I'm interested in Hannibal Bank, but there is a rumor that it is illegal to spear fish at Hannibal Bank and Isla Montusa. What is the deal???
Maybe this will help clarify:

http://www.coibanationalpark.com/fishing.html

To Contact ANAM call (507) 998-0615, fax (507) 998-4387, or the National Park office (507) 998-4271.

Last edited by Kelsea; 04-22-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
DISKSKO

"Restrictions
Within the immediate area of the park, a $50 per boat fishing permit is required and is valid for one week. To protect the resource, fishing is catch and release. Further out, around the Hannibal Bank and Isla Montuosa, fish can be kept to eat and no permit is required."

I have spent over 100 hours out there during the last few years and have yet to even see a patrol boat. They are just concerned about the park around Isla Coiba, they are not going to mess with any fisherman further out that is a source of touism for the Chiriqui region!

Ben.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
bronx

NOTE: SPEAR FISHING REGULATION CHANGE
PASCAL PANAMA WAS NOTIFIED THIS WEEK THAT SPEAR FISHING AND SPEAR FISHING EQUIPMENT WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED IN THE COBIA ISLAND MARINE NATIONAL PARK. THE BOTTOM LINE FOR OUR ANGLERS IS WE WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO HAVE SPEAR GUNS IN ANY OF OUR BOATS.

http://www.pescapanama.com/fishing_reports/120107.html
bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
freedivehunt131
Keith Love Spearin Addict

Send a message via AIM to freedivehunt131

That report says from from 2007 and does not specify the bank. Can you clarify more?
freedivehunt131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
DISKSKO

Nice spelling Bronx.

Spearfishing was never allowed inside tha park, nothing new bro!

Ben.