Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #31
pierreyaldo

Re: NEW Spiny Lobster Commission Approved by Governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Because most of the commercially caught lobsters in California are sold to China. They don't sell California lobsters in Californian restaurants anymore because they can get more money by selling it to China.

Kinda sucks when your state's natural resource is getting shipped overseas just so a few people can profit from it. It's supposed to be a resource that all of California enjoys. Not just a few commercial fishermen.

Spearthebigones,

How can you be upset about CA's resources being shipped overseas, while Americans live every day off of things that are produced by countries that export the majority of resources produced. It seems super hyprocritical. Africa exports its diamonds, etc. Sure some people arent happy, but it sure benefits the lobster fisherman and his family? Should diamonds be a resource that only Africa enjoys? or Certain types of sushi a resource that only the Japanese enjoy?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #32
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreyaldo View Post
Spearthebigones,

How can you be upset about CA's resources being shipped overseas, while Americans live every day off of things that are produced by countries that export the majority of resources produced. It seems super hyprocritical. Africa exports its diamonds, etc. Sure some people arent happy, but it sure benefits the lobster fisherman and his family? Should diamonds be a resource that only Africa enjoys? or Certain types of sushi a resource that only the Japanese enjoy?
Do Africans have a local shortage of diamond jewelry? And using sushi in your analogy is rich seeing how Asian commercial boats are plundering oceans worldwide.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #33
pierreyaldo

I mean "shortage" is somewhat of an opinion. And if i had the time to think it wouldnt be hard to find a much better analogy, thats not the point... the point is that we are okay with consuming the rest of the planets resources but not okay with them consuming ours. Im just trying to give some food for thought
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #34
tommy7

Lobster pretty much suck anyway. I eat maybe 1 or 2 per year. Give me a wsb or yellowtail steak any day over a spiny lobster......
Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #35
CaptainLeo

If I may play devil's advocate here for a moment, what about the lobster fishermen that have a buyer that decides to do with the lobster what he wants? Which, from what I know, is most of them. The fishermen catch the lobster and the buyer comes and takes them and then sells them to whomever. Is it still the fishermen that's the evil person for catching them even though he has no say on where they go? Or should they not sell to a buyer unless he only sells the lobster stateside? I'm just asking because when I was fishing for hagfish (slime eels), basically 100% of them were shipped to Korea. Nobody cared about those being sent overseas. I'm just asking and no, I don't fish anymore whether it be commercial or charter. I'm retired.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #36
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Spearthebigones,

How can you be upset about CA's resources being shipped overseas, while Americans live every day off of things that are produced by countries that export the majority of resources produced. It seems super hyprocritical.

Because I like to blame China
Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLeo View Post
If I may play devil's advocate here for a moment, what about the lobster fishermen that have a buyer that decides to do with the lobster what he wants? Which, from what I know, is most of them. The fishermen catch the lobster and the buyer comes and takes them and then sells them to whomever. Is it still the fishermen that's the evil person for catching them even though he has no say on where they go? Or should they not sell to a buyer unless he only sells the lobster stateside? I'm just asking because when I was fishing for hagfish (slime eels), basically 100% of them were shipped to Korea. Nobody cared about those being sent overseas. I'm just asking and no, I don't fish anymore whether it be commercial or charter. I'm retired.
Excellent point Leo.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #38
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Spearthebigones,

I think it depends on the scarcity of the resource. For example, California has very limited water resources. Should 5% of our irrigation water be used for alfalfa that is exported to China and elsewhere?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #39
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
I think it depends on the scarcity of the resource. For example, California has very limited water resources. Should 5% of our irrigation water be used for alfalfa that is exported to China and elsewhere?
No. Of course not...and don't mention the central valley nut growing industry...

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #40
fishmunger

Lots of misinformation here. Read the actual bill. No taxpayer dollars will be spent by commercial fishermen to market their catch. Much like the california sea urchin commission, spiny lobster fishermen are assessing/taxing themselves on commercially-landed lobster. This is great news for the lobster fishery as a whole, as now the fishery has a collective means to fund their own science, rather than having to take 3rd party groups at their word. Also, it is worth remembering that the only people currently keeping sea otters out of the channel islands are commercial sea urchin and lobster fishermen. If you want your kids to be able to dive for lobsters in southern california, the advent of this commission is great news for you.

Fyi I am not a commercial lobster fisherman.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #41
spearthebigones
Daniel

That's reassuring. Thanks for the info fishmunger.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #42
Red Zeppelin

[quote=fishmunger;2155196]Lots of misinformation here. Read the actual bill. No taxpayer dollars will be spent by commercial fishermen to market their catch. Much like the california sea urchin commission, spiny lobster fishermen are assessing/taxing themselves on commercially-landed lobster. This is great news for the lobster fishery as a whole, as now the fishery has a collective means to fund their own science, rather than having to take 3rd party groups at their word. Also, it is worth remembering that the only people currently keeping sea otters out of the channel islands are commercial sea urchin and lobster fishermen. If you want your kids to be able to dive for lobsters in southern california, the advent of this commission is great news for you.

Fyi I am not a commercial lobster fisherman.[/QUOTE

How are commercial fishermen keeping the otters out? Did I miss this meeting?
Red Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #43
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmunger View Post
Lots of misinformation here. Read the actual bill. No taxpayer dollars will be spent by commercial fishermen to market their catch. Much like the california sea urchin commission, spiny lobster fishermen are assessing/taxing themselves on commercially-landed lobster. This is great news for the lobster fishery as a whole, as now the fishery has a collective means to fund their own science, rather than having to take 3rd party groups at their word. Also, it is worth remembering that the only people currently keeping sea otters out of the channel islands are commercial sea urchin and lobster fishermen. If you want your kids to be able to dive for lobsters in southern california, the advent of this commission is great news for you.

Thank you for the clarification!
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #44
Cameronv
Ando26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
hmm lets see keep selling to asia for $22-$25 a pound, or sell to california restaurants who would probably only pay what, 10 bucks? Wait that wouldn't even work cause they're buying lobsters from the east coast for what, 4-5 bucks a pound?
Nailed it

Quote:

Nailed it. Nate let me tend for you on the new ando resto who’s got dibs on the jolly. I’m sure a long line.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #45
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:

Excellent post. The question of pulling a natural resource is always fraught with the 2 sides of the coin: OURS, or ours for export, for sale, etc?
We can't really pick on lobster being sold overseas; Leo pointed out the commercial fishermen sell to fish brokers. It's real hard to go market your catch, crate it, sell it, etc. when you also have to catch it, and deal with the boat, the traps, the gear, etc. Not so simple for a small operation; 90% of our lobster fishermen are a 1 man operation. Even for a super hard worker, there are not enough hours in the day.

We already sell and ship out lots of fish; what would we do about squid exports? Finfish? Also, we IMPORT all kinds of fish from other places. Tuna, swordfish, Chilean seabass, shrimp, crabs, the list is loooonng...... do we say "Californians should not buy fish from other areas, to help them protect their resources and keep it for themselves."??? Ya, nah. No one will be down for that. We want it both ways guys....... and it don't work like that.

The lobster fishermen needed to organize more. Maybe they can boost their visibility and get more local eateries to carry their product. I don't know that our market will bear the cost of them, but on a smaller scale, i's not impossible. In the end, I feel the lobster advisory board will be good for us. They don't want to see their catch rates drop, and they took a big hit on trap numbers to keep with that theory.