Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Watdogg

New Member Intro

Hey guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member on this site, and new to spearfishing. I'm trying to take in as much info as possible before starting this new sport.

A little about me...I'm on the Massachusetts South Shore. I've been around the water my whole life. I've been through the USAF Water Survival Course in Pensacola, FL, and the MPTC Water Rescue Course up here in MA.

All my friends (and wife) think I'm crazy for trying this. I'll be at a few events to check this out in person before diving in the water, but if anyone wants a buddy to watch their a$$ while they dive, PM me. I have no issue getting out on the water and being a safety net if I can learn something in the process. Plus, I only have a kayak and basic snorkel gear. Other than buying a wetsuit, I don't plan on spending any money until it's something I'm sure I want to do (my main concern is the visibility up here in MA).

Anyway, look forward to following your threads and meeting some of you in the near future. Happy hunting!

Dave
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Dgleeson

Re: New Member Intro

Buy some plastic fins and a decent wetsuit, and make a polespear or buy a cheap cheap cheap gun if you're trying to get into spearfishing without spending much. don't worry about seeing whether you like it or not, because you will.
Dgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
roosterman9

You will get comfortable with the low viz. just take it slow and pick you spots wisely. PM me if your looking for some north shore dives. Once it warms up I like to go after work up north and weekends don south
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
Watdogg

Sounds good Rooster. As soon as it warms up I'll shoot you a message. I work midnights, so I'm usually good any time of day as long as I can plan my sleep a day in advance.

Dgleeson, you're probably right saying I will definitely like it. I've always love the water, and always loved fishing. So this only makes sense!

Question...has anyone tried to use a recreational (sit-in) kayak as a diving platform, or is the only option an ocean (on-top) kayak? I've never actually tried getting in/out while in the water, but I have to imagine it's pretty difficult.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
Newbspearfisher

Gotta be sit on top if you plan to get in and out of it from the water. If you were going to use it to get to and island and the. Park it while swimming around the island. That would be ok but still no ideal. I too would be willing to go on a few dives and show you the ropes on the north shore. Definitely go to some meets and talk to people.
Newbspearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
EZsurf

Best bet . hook up with one of these speros and borrow all their stuff. Most of us, myself included, collect far more gear than we use. As everyone says get a wetsuit that fits otherwise you will be miserable.
EZsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Watdogg

Newb, thanks for the offer. Why does everyone live on the North Shore?! I think a Rockport dive video is what initially got me curious about all this, but there must be some of you on the South Shore. Probably just all the veterans that are tired of seeing newbs come and go.

EZ, I was kinda hoping for that. I'm sure if I hang out at enough events someone will eventually feel bad for me, right? Kidding. I really REALLY wanna just buy all the stuff I need. It's usually what I do when I get fixated on something. I'm just trying to be a little more fiscally responsible these days. Have a baby boy on the way (another reason the wife is trying to stiff-arm this plan into oblivion).
Old 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Watdogg

Oh, and just to put it out there because some of you may own bars or restaurants (and I hope I'm not breaking protocol on this site), but I have an item that someone may want to trade some gear for.

It's a Neon Budweiser Sign. I tried to find another like it, but they seem to be few to non-existent. It has an illuminated white board below the neon that you can customize as you see fit. Comparable items range from $200-$350. Find some old used (serviceable!) gear to pawn off on me and it's yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	216723   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	216725  

Last edited by Watdogg; 04-07-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Remove Link
Old 04-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Newbspearfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdogg View Post
Newb, thanks for the offer. Why does everyone live on the North Shore?! I think a Rockport dive video is what initially got me curious about all this, but there must be some of you on the South Shore. Probably just all the veterans that are tired of seeing newbs come and go.
plenty of people on the southsore as well. also depends on what you want to shoot. tog are more common south of the cape, winter flounder north of the cape. stripers you need to hit RI. but all the north shore spearos know where to go to get some tog whenever they want. I have never gone lobstering south of the cape, but I imagine its better north shore. If you do dive with myself or anyone else they will likely want to use 1 gun for your first several trips and just pass it between divers until you are used to diving. Also 1 up 1 down is a good way to dive as you have someone watching for you while your down there.
Newbspearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
Goody1986

Quote:
Why does everyone live on the North Shore?! I think a Rockport dive video is what initially got me curious about all this, but there must be some of you on the South Shore. Probably just all the veterans that are tired of seeing newbs come and go.
Watttttt-dogg? Not everybody is on the North Shore! It wasn't that long ago when I was the new-guy as well.

It's tough to get into a sport with a low budget - but it can be done! I saw a gun on craigslist that might be perfect for you!
http://providence.craigslist.org/spo/4954988508.html

Kayak and snorkel gear will start you off just fine. When the season is off and running I'm sure we'll meet up.

Best

Goody
Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Welcome from Cape Cod
Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 AM   #12
Watdogg

Thanks for the tip on the gun Goody. I'll check it out. Nice avatar!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
a3P

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the gun Goody. I'll check it out. Nice avatar!
I didn't see bands in that picture, (I may have just missed them because I'm on a phone) but keep in mind you may need to get some new bands. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Watdogg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have another question. My first purchase is going to be a wetsuit. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on one pieces vs two pieces, and also 5mm vs 7mm for our location. What thickness do you guys use, and do you notice any buoyancy issues or restrictions on movement w/ any particular types?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
Dgleeson

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have another question. My first purchase is going to be a wetsuit. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on one pieces vs two pieces, and also 5mm vs 7mm for our location. What thickness do you guys use, and do you notice any buoyancy issues or restrictions on movement w/ any particular types?
5mm is the way to go. While the best option is a 5mm "open cell" free diving/spearfishing suit, they're more expensive. My first 2 years of spearfishing were done in a 5mm suit that I bought from job lot for $50.

When you wear a 5mm wetsuit, there's no way to dive down without wearing a weight belt. Depending on your body type, you'll need anywhere from 10-25lbs of weight.

As for movement, an open cell free diving suit it very flexible and allows for the most movement, but like I said, cost more. You could probably find a used one for $150 (???), but that depends on brand, and wetsuits do have a lifespan.
Dgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote