Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Pirate Dave

Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

Because I can free dive deep(to about 100ft) I never ended up using my Scuba stuff. I got tech certified so I can go to deep wrecks around my area that dont have a lot of pressure on the fish. But havnt done it yet because I dont have the gear. I was certified in Indonesia so I have not done and tech dives in the US since my certification

Im look into getting tech gear and wanted to hear from tech divers on the east coast. What types of fish are you guys shooting? Is it really worth the cost of gear and mixes?

Anyone feel like posting monster fish pictures from the deep?

thanks
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
john.t.little1
12" Member

Re: Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

How deep are you talking about going? I dive off jacksonville and st.augustine alot and just use regular scuba/nitrox to about 160' done a little deeper but average 120'-150'..
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Pirate Dave

under 200 ft. But why dive that deep without going into deco? thats a lot of gas money and effort for 6 min of bottom time.
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
john.t.little1
12" Member

We normally do 4 dives and hook and line while out so we use our time wisely. And while were down we show no mercy. Don't sight see there to get dinner.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
john.t.little1
12" Member

Also you don't have to get a tech set up to deco dive. Normal scuba a HP120 and a pony tank for back up and you can do small deco. Maybe have a stage bottle or something. These are all just my opinion man. Me I can't see doing a hour deco stop for a little bit longer bottom time. Plus where I dive the sites are normally small enough for two divers to get there fill on normal scuba and stay in the no deco window.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
primalpete

Because in 6 min you can hit a wreck, have a look around, shoot a nice fish, and then come up. Big grouper, cuberas, whatever you fancy. I guess around south fl it doesnt take much gas to go a mile offshore and hit a wreck in 200ft so that isnt much of a consideration. I dive wrecks mainly to shoot fish so I dont want to spend alot of time looking at crap. Bouncing the wrecks allows us to hit several spots in one day.

That being said I enjoy diving wrecks because well, they are normally pretty damn cool. If there arent any fish I enjoy the sights and if I want to hang out longer and check out the wreck I might spend a few extra min exploring.

Where you are(seawalls point) has some good stuff out deep. Dove most of the deep stuff out there. Beware of the thermocline though. Not uncommon to end up with 55 degree bottom temp.

Last edited by primalpete; 06-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
waterpirate

I am shooting deep in Delaware/Maryland. Doubles,trimix, deco gas. Monster taug, lobsters, cod, and the odd pelagic. Doing bounce dives up here is just not practical. Deco down to 160 is 1 to 1 and beyond that it 1.5 to 1 down to 200.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Reilly

What is the odd pelagic?
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

you can do to 230ft safely without tech. we do it on aluminum 80's frequently, as do the folks in lousiana. fly down and dont stay long. its a ton cheaper to do than tech gear

Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
prop

we do 150 all the time in mexico.find the fish with a fishfinder.head down shoot one or two ,head up.no problema.just don`t overexcert yourself after a deep dive.i got bent like that last year.
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo1597 View Post
you can do to 230ft safely without tech. we do it on aluminum 80's frequently, as do the folks in lousiana. fly down and dont stay long. its a ton cheaper to do than tech gear
I guess I would like to know your definition of "safe"?

Even if you have a great SAC rate you do not have the gas to do that dive, "safely" solo, and if you are "buddy diving" then no way you have enough gas to bring both of you off the bottom. If you have a reg free-flow at 230 that tank is empty in seconds; you are dead.

Now factor in that your PPO2's at 230 are 1.63 which is not considered all that safe for the "working" portion of a dive, plus CO2 issues along with the ever present narcosis that can change day to day.....

I really dont care what divers do, my only issue with your response was using the term "safely".
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
I guess I would like to know your definition of "safe"?

Even if you have a great SAC rate you do not have the gas to do that dive, "safely" solo, and if you are "buddy diving" then no way you have enough gas to bring both of you off the bottom. If you have a reg free-flow at 230 that tank is empty in seconds; you are dead.

Now factor in that your PPO2's at 230 are 1.63 which is not considered all that safe for the "working" portion of a dive, plus CO2 issues along with the ever present narcosis that can change day to day.....

I really dont care what divers do, my only issue with your response was using the term "safely".
i guess the term safe is relative to the diver/experience/conditions blah blah. anyways. im not here to tell you what you personally can do or cant do. just that it can be and is done. bottom times at that depth dont exceed 30 seconds. search the site, you'll find all the info you want about diving this way.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
waterpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
What is the odd pelagic?
Mostlyy Tuna and amber jack. How odd?

Bouncing 230fsw an an al 80? It's not for me, be safe if it is for you.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
shcubasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Dave View Post
...Im look into getting tech gear and wanted to hear from tech divers on the east coast. thanks
YES! its worth it- why spend 6 minutes when you can spend a half hour?? I dive the APEKS WTX harness as pictured below and love it. Its modular so you can change out the wings, backplate ect and switch from doubles to singles with minimal effort. Stainless backplate, and the WTX60 single bladder wing for use with my double AL80s. Just ordered a manifold for my HP100s and will be upgrading to a dual bladder wing soon because I don't own a drysuit and cannot/will not try to swim up twin steel100s with a deco obligation.

The harness has more creature comforts then a traditional backplate with 2" webbing and is still just as strong and reliable. btw, (for me) air or lean nitrox is fine to 165' (ppo2 of air =1.4). If I had demand for it, I would start stocking He at the shop... Not practical now tho...

Check it out mang and let me know when we are headed out to 8 mile reef.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XTX6HARNESS1.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	153521  
shcubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
UaVaj

Some of you got some serious balls. Definitely more power to those of you. Becareful out there. Better safe than sorry.

Speaking of safe. Get all the necessary gear and training to ensure it is a safe dive. Proper training and proper life support equipment is not something you want to skip on.

As for big fish. My biggest kills are from 130+. Less fishing pressure at deeper depth definitely holds true.

Worth it? Every individual have to decide that for themselves.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote