Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Gary Aleman

Re: Great Safety Whistle!

Thanks for the feedback, bluesquids! You stated "...I don't think it is much louder than another one I had(tested side by side)..." It's still louder and that's what I've been looking for. The loudest "mouth blown" whistle I can find! As for the blowing it under water I think that with enough air pressure you can possibly get it to sound under water, but no boat operator or jet skier will ever hear it while it's being blown under water. My use for it is to get the attention of oncoming boaters and jet skiers, which has been so far successful! I agree that it's a little bulky in size ,but draped around my neck I can't tell that it's even there! What other whistle did you try it side by side with? Thanks again for the comments!
G-Man
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
bluesquids
bluesquids

It's a good product. But it's no underwater signaling device like they claim.
I tested it against the flat wafer style safety whistle and plain regular safety whistle(Fox) and definitely louder than those.
But against the Scotty whistle the difference was not noticeable by ear. Maybe it was a couple decibels louder, but I could not tell. Had someone listen across the property and they could not tell the difference either.
http://kayakfishinggear.com/scottyli...tywhistle.aspx

I was just a little bit disappointed thinking it would blow at some UNHOLY decibel level and I could also use it to signal buddies underwater.

I do think it's as loud as a whistle can ever get and for $5 bucks it's a no brainer piece of safety gear.
============
Where is my mind?
Waay out in the water, see it swimmin'.
- The Pixies

Last edited by bluesquids; 07-16-2010 at 12:15 PM.
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Gary Aleman

Thanks bluesquids for letting us know about the "Scotty Safety Whistle." I'm going to see if I can find one in a retail shop locally and check it out. I'm beat and have an early day tomorrow. Best of luck to all you Spearos out there! "Dive Safe And Never Dive Alone!"
G-Man
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Gary Aleman

How's it going everyone! I was out yesterday 2 miles off of Montauk point with 1 other Spearo and myself in the water. Coming straight at me as I was airing up, was a dark blue hulled, motor boat, at full throttle! My boat with diver down flag flying was around 30'-35' from me, and this boat was planning on speeding right over me. My other 2 Spearos on the boat started blasting their whistles, 1 "Fox" and 1 "Storm," and trying to wave the boat off of me. I instantly heard the whistles sounding and looked up to see what was the matter and realized that this dark blue hulled boat was headed straight for me! I spit my snorkel out of my mouth and grabbed my "Storm" whistle draped around my neck and started blasting also! The boat was around 60'-70' from me when he heard the whistles, spotted me in the water, throttled down, banked a hard left and nodded at me as he avoided me by a safe margin! My next move was going to be a really fast drop! None the less, I nodded back and went back to airing up! Do I believe in this "Storm" whistle! It definately changed the outcome yesterday! Once again I'm suggesting you get yourself a "Storm" whistle! "Dive safe And Never Dive Alone!"
G-Man

Last edited by Gary Aleman; 07-18-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Gary Aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

i got one too, yellow, and it is a pretty badass little whistle..not going to open your beer or cook you dinner, but what do you expect from a whistle these days.

I would suggest everyone have some kind of whistle on them as it is a pretty indespensible piece of safety gear and this one is about as loud as you can get....it certainly hurts your ears if you blow full blast. I was able to get my buddies attention 17 stories down and two busy city blocks away yesterday...his and everone else's attention

thanks for the tip.

something else to consider is planning with your buddies (and the local lifeguards if shore diving) a code for the blasts. I use these. one long blast is to locate your buddies...each diver just does a visual check in after hearing it...and three short blasts is "I need help"
whatever works for you, but plan ahead in advance
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
snokat
Registered Lobster Abuser

Send a message via AIM to snokat

Four Storms showed up in my mail today, yeah, it's loud.
Atttached nicely to my BCD on one of my top D-rings.
Hope I never need it.
Got one for my wife for personal protection for her key ring.
Hope she never needs it.
Defintiely louder than my TowBoat whistle.

The only good fish, is the one on my plate. AK
snokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
Gary Aleman

I'm glad that you're all as impressed by the loudness of these whistles as I am! LunkerBuster you stated that "..it is a pretty badass little whistle..." Did you acquire the "WindStorm?" I told you it was loud Snokat! Beware hearing damage by blasting indoors or close to someone's ears!!! "Dive Safe Everyone and Don't Forget Your Whistle!"
G-Man
Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
popeal

I lightly tested my storm whistle for some curious friends, and I almost lost my balance and fell over from the disturbance to my ear drums. Dang, that thing is LOUD!
popeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
It's a good product. But it's no underwater signaling device like they claim.
I tested it against the flat wafer style safety whistle and plain regular safety whistle(Fox) and definitely louder than those.
But against the Scotty whistle the difference was not noticeable by ear. Maybe it was a couple decibels louder, but I could not tell. Had someone listen across the property and they could not tell the difference either.
http://kayakfishinggear.com/scottyli...tywhistle.aspx

I was just a little bit disappointed thinking it would blow at some UNHOLY decibel level and I could also use it to signal buddies underwater.

I do think it's as loud as a whistle can ever get and for $5 bucks it's a no brainer piece of safety gear.
If you want to signal your buddies underwater, learn to do the "grouper call" (croaking in the back of your throat). At depth its quite loud and audible from a good ways off (if I had to guess I'd say probably 200ft or more).
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
Gary Aleman

I thought I had warned you about how loud they are Popeal? ... Thanks for trying them out! I hope you get the same results that I have to warn oncoming boaters as to your presence!
G-Man