Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 01-29-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Question Getting past 75'

Does anybody have any advice on getting down 100' or more?

I've attempted this several times and I can only get about 75'. The only thing stopping me is that I can't get any more air in order to equalize. I've read some stuff about "packing" air into your lungs on the surface and also turning upright in the water so that the available air in your lungs is up in your throat cavity where it needs to be. Has anybody tried these things with any success?

I intend to live forever - so far, so good
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
dothanfrogman
Locker Room King

Send a message via Yahoo to dothanfrogman
According to FA a powerhead would probably work.

"Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing."
dothanfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
freediver website

I have heard that hyperventilating on the surface (taking a whole bunch of short breaths right before diving) can cause shallow water blackout once you get to certain depths because of the higher % of O2 in your bloodstream. I read this on a freediving website: www.freediver.net
It is a pretty good website (not as good as this one) and is primarily for California freedivers but you have guys on there that claim to do 130+ fsw on a single breath. Some of them are world class freedivers and spearfishermen. They have a pretty good email distribution system that if you subscribe that gives you some pretty good tips on how to add some depth to your dives. They have some pretty good pics. Be sure to look up Dix Ropers pics. he has some topless and photos of his wife posing with her speargun and some large tunas. (nothing better than a scantily clad chick with speargun and a big fish!) Check out the site and let us know what you think.

Hector
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Charlestondivin

Dix Roper is the friggin man.

http://www.freediver.net/freedivelis...syt/index.html
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Hector

Good website.

If you go to the memorial section, it is interesting to note that the vast majority of dead freedivers died from shallow water blackout. These guys were not beginners; they were very experienced divers. Their ability to resist the urge to breathe caused them to deplete their O2 to the extent that as they surfaced the partial pressure of oxygen fell below the level needed to sustain consciousness. You never know that you have gone too far until you have gone too far and even then you don't know it because you are unconscious. That's why it is important to always freedive with a capable buddy.

Hyperventilating reduces the level of CO2 in your blood. This decreases your urge to breathe because it is the CO2 build up (and not the lack of O2) that makes you want to breathe. The less you feel the need to breathe the farther you push it and the more you make yourself susceptible to blackout.

Beginners don't have this problem nearly as much because they are not as conditioned to resist the urge to breathe, and thus they don't stay down deep or long enough to sufficiently deplete their oxygen. Therefore, their O2 partial pressure is sufficient to sustain consciousness throughout their entire ascent.

Last edited by kitefisherman; 01-29-2003 at 05:25 PM.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
frogman

Marcus, check out www.deeperblue.net. There are some pretty good freedivers there and you can get some good advice about different techniques. However, I would caution you about "trying to get to 100' freediving". Why do you want to do it? You can get real nice fish at less than 75' (which sounds like you can get to). If it is some sort of competition make absolutely sure that you have someone watching you. Shallow water black out (SWB) is a real thing and every year it kills many freedivers.
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
fishhunta

i have alot of buddies that can reach depths near 100. i probably could- but will never try. i've told my friends-freediving is NOT like football, where the harder you push yourself the better youget. in freediving, the harder you push yourself, the sooner you'll die. one of my friends can go to 140, but he never spears at depths greater than 80-bottom time in 80 is much better than touch and go in 140.
on the objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents."
James Madison

www.variancharters.com
fishhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:15 AM   #8
Marcus

NICE FISH! The yellowtail isn't bad either...

I'm aware of the increased propensity for shallow water blackout due to hyperventalation. I don't use hyperventalation as a means to increase my breath hold time.
I guess the reason I want to go deeper is because my breath holding ability will allow it. When I go down 75' and I'm not feeling like I need a breath, the lure to go deeper is enormous. It feels as though I'm experiencing the "mammalian reflex", and it feels GOOD.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good...
Old 02-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #9
Gary Sanchez

You need to keep air in your cheeks so you can keep equalizing past 75" it happens to me around 90". This is called reverse packing. As you are clearing you burp up some air from your lungs into your cheeks.
Gary Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Marcus

Thanks deco, I'll give it a try!