Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
lictol

DIY Removable Tank Rack

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my solution to building a removable tank rack for my boat. She was rigged primarily for fishing and cruising so I had to figure a way to secure my tanks without getting in the way. Because the gunnels have bolsters the reach was very deep. My solution was to use the aft fold-down seat as a securing point and suction cups to hold in place. The pictures don't do it justice. This thing is so secure you'd think it was bolted down.

Three double suction cup devices from Harbor Freight Tools ($5 each). I think they are used for moving slabs of granite or glass.

Some leftover starboard

Six stainless screws, U-bolts, and nylock nuts from home depot (about $23)

Four foot Roll Control aluminum track and 5 tank holders ($40 score on craigslist). Four of them fold down and one is fixed. I could have fit 6 but I set them wide to accommodate my 100's and 120's

All in for about $75

If you have the time to play around with them, the Harbor Freight stuff is super affordable compared to some similar systems made for the marine industry. They have single cup units too. Also, if you check out their rigging and trailer sections they have stainless steel swivels and anchor rings. Not sure how they'll hold up but I'll post my dive marker pics later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks 2.jpg
Views:	6840
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	193324  
lictol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: DIY Removable Tank Rack

Cool DIY

SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Re: DIY Removable Tank Rack

Thanks for the hints. It's great to see materials reused/recycled, even if it means an "oddball" non-folder in the mix. Looking forward to your field test.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lictol View Post
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my solution to building a removable tank rack for my boat. ...
BUMP to ask how those Harbor Freight suction cups have held up over time?

I need to come up with a tank storage solution for my 24' McKee Craft and have been considering a similar home-brewed approach.

TIA.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
lictol

They have held up great. I used them for a few years with zero issues. I have a different system on my new boat now so if you want my old ones I'll give you a great deal. PM me if you are interested.
lictol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lictol View Post
They have held up great. I used them for a few years with zero issues. I have a different system on my new boat now so if you want my old ones I'll give you a great deal. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have to come up with something with a bit more depth between the suction cups and the tank brackets. And potentially a bit of an angle too because of the bow flare. But I'll keep it in mind.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote