Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
thomasrogers

Polespear Power Bands?

Any ideas on how to increase the power of a JBL polespear? Buying a new band, Adding tubing etc. ? I'll be taking out a gun too but just curious because I think it'd be awesome to say I landed a wsb with a polespear.
thomasrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Re: Polespear Power Bands?

But not awesome to say you wounded 10 others trying to get that one, riiiight?
Salty_Lovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
thomasrogers

well if I wound a couple, it might slow them down for you. Just kidding, you know, I honestly hadn't really considered that until now. The issue is not so much wounding the fish, it's the fact that when someone else goes to get it that it might have marks on it right? let me change my post, I want more power on my polespear for calico bass...

Last edited by thomasrogers; 03-08-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
spearofdestiny

awesome to say you shot it with a pole spear?

sigh... it must be that caveman gene of trying to prove your club will kill the tyrannosaures rex thats been lurking outside your cave. Clubbing it in the toe is not going to do any good and will just piss off the rest of the cave dwellers in said cave. More than likey that dino who thought he stubbed his toe will look down and munch your face off

Use the proper tool for the job period.. unless you can close the gap to at least a foot away from that fish and know exactly where to shoot it to get penetration, which I get the feeling is not the case.
spearofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Land&SeaKahuna
# of dives 18

+1 on all stated above. You have a gun, people would be impressed with the fact of just shooting and bringing one home.

"Victoria Amat Curam"
(Victory Loves Preparation)
Land&SeaKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

It's very doable if you know what you are doing/are serious about it.

As far as helping this particular guy out, I could. I know a bit about polespears and customizing them, the JBL pole included. That said, he sounds like another know it all grom with the wrong attitude, so I won't.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
thomasrogers

I honestly wasn't trying to sound like a know it all if you were talking about me. I was trying to agree about what was said. I assumed that if it couldn't be done then I would just be injuring a fish with no catch. Just trying to get some advice. I would really appreciate if someone could share some knowledge on the subject.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
thomasrogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearofdestiny View Post
awesome to say you shot it with a pole spear?

sigh... it must be that caveman gene of trying to prove your club will kill the tyrannosaures rex thats been lurking outside your cave. Clubbing it in the toe is not going to do any good and will just piss off the rest of the cave dwellers in said cave. More than likey that dino who thought he stubbed his toe will look down and munch your face off

Use the proper tool for the job period.. unless you can close the gap to at least a foot away from that fish and know exactly where to shoot it to get penetration, which I get the feeling is not the case.
Dude, your post kind of makes you sound like an ass. I don't appreciate you disrespecting my dignity. I don't even know you.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
spearofdestiny

Quote:
Dude, your post kind of makes you sound like an ass. I don't appreciate you disrespecting my dignity
You already sealed your fate with
Quote:
well if I wound a couple, it might slow them down for you. Just kidding, you know, I honestly hadn't really considered that until now. The issue is not so much wounding the fish, it's the fact that when someone else goes to get it that it might have marks on it right? let me change my post, I want more power on my polespear for calico bass...
You said you don't care if you wound a fish except for the fact that you are going to give it a scar?

Maiming fish and coming onto the interwebs to share
Quote:
I wounded a wsb with a polespear
with your closest 200 buddies sounds much worse. Quote fixed for accuracy
Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
thomasrogers

Quote:
You already sealed your fate with

You said you don't care if you wound a fish except for the fact that you are going to give it a scar?

Maiming fish and coming onto the interwebs to share with your closest 200 buddies sounds much worse. Quote fixed for accuracy
Sealed my fate?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
spearofdestiny

Dignity is a term used in moral, ethical, legal, and political discussions to signify that a being has an innate right to be valued and receive ethical treatment

Quote:
well if I wound a couple, it might slow them down for you. Just kidding, you know, I honestly hadn't really considered that until now. The issue is not so much wounding the fish, it's the fact that when someone else goes to get it that it might have marks on it right?
That comment sealed your fate on lacking the above referring to your inherent disregard for injuring fish.

I digress though... IF... you had the patience to let a big fish swim by knowing your chances were slim of landing it and IF... you had a floatline, slip tip and proper pole spear set up .. then yes, you have a much higher probability of not ripping out assuming you knew how close you had to be to that fish to penetrate and had the ability to place a solid shot.

Diving for hours waiting looking for a fish and then having to deal with those factors... And then making a decision that you can't get the right shot even though you have an empty freezer at home. $100 that most unexperienced guys will try to take that bad shot anyways because they get fish fever.

Just do me a favor and use the search and read about proper setups for pole spears and larger game. It's all about shot placement. Guys you see taking big fish with poles have put the time in the water and know what they are looking for.

Last edited by spearofdestiny; 03-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

The issue isn't that the fish may have a scar, it's that there's a good chance that you kill it if you wound it.

That's what I mean by grom with a bad attitude, and why you aren't going to get any help from me.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
thomasrogers

Quote:
Dignity is a term used in moral, ethical, legal, and political discussions to signify that a being has an innate right to be valued and receive ethical treatment

That comment sealed your fate on lacking the above referring to your inherent disregard for injuring fish.

I digress though... IF... you had the patience to let a big fish swim by knowing your chances were slim of landing it and IF... you had a floatline, slip tip and proper pole spear set up .. then yes, you have a much higher probability of not ripping out assuming you knew how close you had to be to that fish to penetrate and had the ability to place a solid shot.

Diving for hours waiting looking for a fish and then having to deal with those factors... And then making a decision that you can't get the right shot even though you have an empty freezer at home. $100 that most unexperienced guys will try to take that bad shot anyways because they get fish fever.

Just do me a favor and use the search and read about proper setups for pole spears and larger game. It's all about shot placement. Guys you see taking big fish with poles have put the time in the water and know what they are looking for.
I'm sorry I called you an ass man, I posted that after I got back from the gym and must have had too much testosterone built up lol. That was rude of me.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
SurfNSpear365

Honestly, all this squabbling aside, sticking a seabass with a pole spear is very doable but the JBL may not be the tool for the job.

I'm pretty new to spearing myself and use the JBL 6' pole spear most of the time over my reef/hole spear gun as I find it to be more fun and challenging. Then again, I don't spear to fill the freezer.

I upgraded to a 1/2" band, added a 12" solid steel extension from Ray Odor to increase weight and momentum, and started using a slip tip instead of the paralyzer it comes with. Since the upgrade the spear usually penetrates several feet through the fish I shoot- up to and past the grip I made. I've been able to land some sheepshead in the 20lb range with it no problem and haven't had a fish pull off in quite some time. That being said, I don't take shots at any fish unless I'm certain I can place the shot well, get the tip to toggle, and ultimately kill the animal.

If you decide to pursue bigger game such as WSB with a JBL, you shouldn't even consider trying to shoot a big one. Also, maybe upgrade to a Crist or Riffe spear for more punch. I've seen video of people stoning huge amberjack and various tropical fishes with those pole spears but they are always very experience fishermen and wait for the perfect shot. If you're new and not experienced enough to figure out how to power up your spear on your own, you may not be have the self control to pass on big fish or less than perfect shots the first time you get an opportunity- that is, if you even get close enough to one to try.

Just my 2 cents...
SurfNSpear365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
jfjf

That JBL pole spear... if it is the one i have seen, is light weight, tapered and hollow. In my experience, pole spears like that work well for moderately sized fish... the light weight makes them quick.

However, (again in my experience) you can not power up a pole spear like this with excessively strong band.. it will begin to flex excessively and probably would be damaged by too much force.

A much larger, longer, heavier pole spear with a slip tip can work on large fish, but regardless of the spear, you have to have the tip close to the fish. Learning how and where and what distance to shoot a big fish takes time.

Learn to use the spear you have, get close, very close and take small fish..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote