Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #796
laguna80
El Capitan

Re: Malibu Conditions Permathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
had a great morning session. was on my was to Malibu but stopped off to check out a few rocks sticking out of the ocean. I nailed two fish with one shot one of them was a decent sized sheep head and the other I threw at an otter. ill be going again tommor morning if anyone is keen

multiple personalities ensures I never dive alone
Sounds like a fun dive. Don't feed the wildlife. Cheers.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #797
VangysWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
had a great morning session. was on my was to Malibu but stopped off to check out a few rocks sticking out of the ocean. I nailed two fish with one shot one of them was a decent sized sheep head and the other I threw at an otter. ill be going again tommor morning if anyone is keen

multiple personalities ensures I never dive alone
Haha giving fish to otters? Seals? Bad idea either way
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #798
possum
Possum

errr... it was actually a seal, the fish I fed was collateral damage from the sheepshead I landed. i wasn't sure what to do with the fish but you guys are right, Mr seal is plenty capable of fishing on its own. i know this sounds silly cuz it is but i thought if i gave the seal the fish he would not try and take the sheepshead from me . ill be going out again today and the next if anyone wants to join
you shouldn't feed the wildlife you should be feeding off it
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #799
VangysWay

There the dog of the ocean, you feed it once and it's always coming back for seconds. Instead of that just give him a generous poke with your speargun, it usually does the trick.
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #800
SurfNSpear365

I used to think they were all cute but now I loathe the things. Actually had a run in with a seal myself today. I shot a calico and I was looking down at my fish spinning on the shaft like a spinner bait blade and as I hit the surface I literally HIT the surface. Bumped my head right into something solid. Turned out to be a HUGE harbor seal. Needless to say, it startled the crap out of me (figuratively) and out of him (literally). He took off after leaving a giant swirl of seal doo doo. Still, better than when they follow me for an hour on end and mess up my fishing.

Other than that, it was a great dive. Got in at high tide. Visibility pretty good compared to what I encountered towards the end of last week but seemed to decrease slightly as the tide dropped. I'd estimate 10ft on the surface but it opened up to almost 20 on the bottom so it was very huntable. The shallows were even cleared and out to 15' deep it was like a swimming pool. Weird. Usually I find better visibility the deeper I go. Lot's of life out there today. Was diving the same spot where I took my first ling cod last week. Saw a bunch of shorts today but no keepers. Shot a limit of calico/sand bass, took two sheepshead around 8-10lbs, and also bagged a dozen avocados!

I've befriended a couple contractors working on a house near where I get in at my favorite spot. I've given them some gallon bags of fillets before since my freezer's full. They repaid the favor with a grocery bag FULL of avocados! Fish tacos with guac all week for me!

Life's good! Another day in paradise.

Just started a new job at Action Watersports in Marina del Rey and we've got some killer deals on kayaks right now. The other day the owner sold a 12ft kayak with seat and paddle included for $300! I was tripping. The last place I worked sold 'em for $400 used with no accessories. Swing by some time if you're in the area and check out our boats. They'd be great for diving.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #801
Bluewater1
Grab Life By The Gills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNSpear365 View Post
I used to think they were all cute but now I loathe the things. Actually had a run in with a seal myself today. I shot a calico and I was looking down at my fish spinning on the shaft like a spinner bait blade and as I hit the surface I literally HIT the surface. Bumped my head right into something solid. Turned out to be a HUGE harbor seal. Needless to say, it startled the crap out of me (figuratively) and out of him (literally). He took off after leaving a giant swirl of seal doo doo. Still, better than when they follow me for an hour on end and mess up my fishing.

Other than that, it was a great dive. Got in at high tide. Visibility pretty good compared to what I encountered towards the end of last week but seemed to decrease slightly as the tide dropped. I'd estimate 10ft on the surface but it opened up to almost 20 on the bottom so it was very huntable. The shallows were even cleared and out to 15' deep it was like a swimming pool. Weird. Usually I find better visibility the deeper I go. Lot's of life out there today. Was diving the same spot where I took my first ling cod last week. Saw a bunch of shorts today but no keepers. Shot a limit of calico/sand bass, took two sheepshead around 8-10lbs, and also bagged a dozen avocados!

I've befriended a couple contractors working on a house near where I get in at my favorite spot. I've given them some gallon bags of fillets before since my freezer's full. They repaid the favor with a grocery bag FULL of avocados! Fish tacos with guac all week for me!

Life's good! Another day in paradise.

Just started a new job at Action Watersports in Marina del Rey and we've got some killer deals on kayaks right now. The other day the owner sold a 12ft kayak with seat and paddle included for $300! I was tripping. The last place I worked sold 'em for $400 used with no accessories. Swing by some time if you're in the area and check out our boats. They'd be great for diving.
I live right there. ill stop buy sometime and chat it up with you. I know my girl friend would love to rent a kayak for the day. maybe we can work out a deal or something

~hut
Bluewater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #802
Spear n Surf
Waterman

Going to be super flat this week.. woooo
Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #803
Eric5187

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/394...0/545/u2yk.jpg

Was out on Saturday but haven't gotten around to posting. Not sure if the pic will work (never uploaded a pic on here). Conditions were good... I got my first cabezon (not the biggest, but legal). One of my buddies got a nice Calico and the other a nice opaleye. Tasted good! Cabezon and Calico definitely some better meat! Still learning!

If anybody can tell me how to post a pic that actually posts straight to here I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Eric

Last edited by Eric5187; 11-19-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Eric5187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #804
DewTheDewDude
Eat Fish.

What's the water temperature over there now?

And what is the coldest do you think it'll get this winter?

I hear something about "winter conditions"? Is the visibility affected as well?

Would a 60" be too big for the vis and catch, from now until the spring?

Just curious, might be visiting a friend and thinking about bringing some gear.

Danka.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #805
sweatloaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDewDude View Post
What's the water temperature over there now?

And what is the coldest do you think it'll get this winter?

I hear something about "winter conditions"? Is the visibility affected as well?

Would a 60" be too big for the vis and catch, from now until the spring?

Just curious, might be visiting a friend and thinking about bringing some gear.

Danka.
~62; ~52; yes and no; yes.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #806
DewTheDewDude
Eat Fish.

Short, simple, and to the point. =) Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #807
Spear n Surf
Waterman

Dived North Bu today, great conditions. Particles on surface however but 20-30 ft of vis once you dived down. Some bait around but no wsb school seen like last time. Scored a Ling and two calicos... I was out for 5 hrs just enjoying the conditions and exploring some new spots for the first time. Stoked to find some good structure
Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #808
Sabalo
I Like the Beer

Thinking of driving down for a dive in Leo area tomorrow morning. Any vis reports from today? PM or post would be great.

Always willing to share reports from Santa Barbara area and channel islands. I just have a half day window tomorrow and would like to find some good vis and a few bugs.
Sabalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #809
possum
Possum

Wow, I had an amazing week of spearfishing down here. I had no idea how beautiful the kelp beds were and watching the grasses breathe with the waves was unforgettable. Conditions looked amazing today not a wave out there and If I wasn't leaving id be in the ocean by now. Sheepshead, calico, and rockfish were all delicious, the best thing I cooked up were definitely a bunch of sheepshead fish cakes fried. One of the sheeps head I landed had a hole and a tear near its spine, I figured one of you guys most have shot high and she got away, ill be back in a month enjoy the session today conditions look amazing
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #810
Vyadha

If she was a decent sized sheep out at Leo that may have been my shot. She tore off and when I went peeking in a hole where she went I was greeted by a bug. Never saw the fish again though.
Vyadha is offline   Reply With Quote