Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Fishfried

Total newb, Los Barriles, East Cape, Baja

First post! Yep, I've been lurking for a while reading posts. Thinking about trying to get a fish or two spearfishing while I'm in Baja Mexico this Spring. While snorkeling on vacation at Isla Mujeres last Fall I got close to loads of fish and really would've like to try my hand at spearfishing.
I was thinking of a travel pole spear, it would be an inexpensive way to get into the sport. I have been to baja a couple times but in a different town. I'm hoping to get some input on the Los Barriles area. We'll have the beach right outside the back door of the house we are renting. I hope there are maybe some pompano, triggerfish or other smaller fish I can chase down.
Fishfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
robbiedublu

Re: Total newb, Los Barriles, East Cape, Baja

I go there several times a year. I doubt you'll have much luck with a pole spear. You have to get within a couple of feet with that and the fish are just too wary in general. I use a 110 aimrite right off the beach there which has a max range of maybe 15 ft or so and even with that I frequently wish I had a few more feet.
Just in general, the further away from town you get, the more reef type fish you'll see. If i'm driving I go a few miles north of town to punta pescadero. On an atv I head south. Just look for rocky areas. Even if it's windy you can usually get a few hours in early in the morning as the wind usually stays down until late morning/ early afternoon. Good luck!
robbiedublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Fishfried

That's good info, thanks. I'm bringing a rod tube down and a suitcase, looks like I should ditch the idea for a pole spear and look for a speargun that'll fit in my big suitcase.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Polespearo
Waterman

Send me a message when you get here and i can help you get started. I live in La Paz and i believe you can find some gear here at the same prices as in the usa, so get your basics there and the speargun here to avvoid the hassle of carrying it.

I love polespear and it teaches you to be a better hunter, but at the begining a good euro 100cm will put the food on the table, so what i do is i start the day with the gun to see what os going to ne like and after the first fish (dinner secured) i swap to polespear to become a better spearo.

The area you will be at is good with plenty of fish.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfried View Post
That's good info, thanks. I'm bringing a rod tube down and a suitcase, looks like I should ditch the idea for a pole spear and look for a speargun that'll fit in my big suitcase.
Most railguns will fit in a rod tube. Might have to remove the handle and put it in your suitcase, but that's much easier than trying to find a speargun that will fit in your suitcase. I ditched my sportube and only use a rod tube to carry my guns now, because most airlines don't charge oversize for a rod tube.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Fishfried

Robbiedublu, are there any guides that will take you out in a panga to some productive spots in Los Barriles? Beginners luck would be nice, hopefully right off the beach I get into something hahahal. The house has kayaks so maybe i can paddle around and find something. I won an auction on Ebay for a Mako speargun, you think I should go for the 120cm? Any other recommendations for gear or accessories for the gun? Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
robbiedublu

I have no knowledge of spearfishing guides in LB, sorry. If you ask around i'm sure you cab find someone but who knows how good they would be and how hard they will work for you. I think a mako 120 would be a great size for a gun to use there. If you take out a kayak in the morning, take it north and let the wind blow you back south later.
Not sure when you're going. My inlaws are there now and it's been pretty windy recently. I'm sure you'll have a good time and report back.
robbiedublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
PistoleroDelMar
Pistolero Del Mar

Send a message via MSN to PistoleroDelMar

A 120 Mako railgun, would be a great choice, that is what i use most of the time down there.

"Baja Spearfishing Adventures"

PistoleroDelMar is offline   Reply With Quote