Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
SeaHunter3

Western Cape, South Africa

Hello everyone,

I will be living in Hermanus, South Africa this year for the months of June, July and August for a research internship. Because I am staying for so long, I have been debating whether or not I should bring my dive gear, as it will mean checking 2 extra bag (gearbag+hardcase) but also could mean some awesome diving, and fresh fish. I have ultra-cold water gear, and have been in the water (albeit in a shark cage) in the waters off of the Western Cape before, and I have the necessary equipment to manage the conditions.

I know this area is quite literally the Great White capital of the world, but Ive read that they generally will not venture into the thick kelp, and I would hate to pass up the opportunity to get in the water in such a cool place. If it's better to just totally steer clear of the ocean around there, I will. No point risking it all for a couple chilly dives. That being said, if there is a safe way of going about it, I would really like to give it a go. If there are any people who are familiar with the area, or locals who would be willing to give me some pointers (no pun intended) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lino
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
morey_b
10" Member

Re: Western Cape, South Africa

As far as gear goes, see if you can pack your fins and mask, then buy new gear over in South Africa. Or better yet buy it second hand on gumtree.co.za. A rail gun will run you half the price it does in the states. A quick search on that website reveals a used Rob Allen 1300 Tuna that sold for $38.50 at today's exchange rate. The same goes for wetsuits and other gear.
morey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
SeaHunter3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morey_b View Post
As far as gear goes, see if you can pack your fins and mask, then buy new gear over in South Africa. Or better yet buy it second hand on gumtree.co.za. A rail gun will run you half the price it does in the states. A quick search on that website reveals a used Rob Allen 1300 Tuna that sold for $38.50 at today's exchange rate. The same goes for wetsuits and other gear.
I kinda doubt that would end up cancelling out the costs of just packing all my own stuff in, especially considering Ill have to fly it back home anyways?

I have a 60cm & 75cm railgun, the 75 is a Omer HF Cayman 2 Camu with a match reel. You think that would be enough for reef hunting?
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
morey_b
10" Member

You need to determine what the cost is going to be to get your gear there and back. Some of the US based airlines really gouge you for excess/oversized baggage. Can be as high as $200 each way for an oversized item. If this is the case, for me personally I'd buy a gun and other items there and sell before flying back.
morey_b is offline   Reply With Quote