Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Agador
Argonaut

Unhappy Ruptured (perforated) eardrum, need help.

Hi guys,

Apparently my eardrum is perforated and I have ocean water in my middle ear. I need to see ENT doctor ASAP, but they all booked for 3-4 weeks minimum. I want to ask if any of you guys experienced similar issue and/or have a doctor's contact you can share?

Last dive (this weekend) wasn't pleasant at all. I wasn't able to equalize properly and felt pain and pressure during the dive. Made it few times down 30' than (shot a 21" tog) and came back to the boat.
I felt water in my ear, headache, pressure and ear pain the rest of the Sunday.
Drove to the hospital next day (yesterday) to find out that my left eardrum is perforated and it has scars, which means it probably old trauma, currently in chronic state. I think it happened last year but I never visited a doctor and kept diving.
I was prescribed antibiotic ear drops and refereed to the ENT. Called few numbers this morning and they all booked for next 3-4 weeks. I don't mind to wait, but my concern is pretty strong headache and dizziness I currently experience. Tylenol in bigger dosage reduce symptoms but I'm not sure if this is a right way.
Hopefully this thing will be fixed soon, cause I hate rod-n-reel fishing.

I will appreciate any input. Thank you!
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
cougarprey

Re: Ruptured (perforated) eardrum, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agador View Post
Hi guys,

Apparently my eardrum is perforated and I have ocean water in my middle ear. I need to see ENT doctor ASAP, but they all booked for 3-4 weeks minimum. I want to ask if any of you guys experienced similar issue and/or have a doctor's contact you can share?

Last dive (this weekend) wasn't pleasant at all. I wasn't able to equalize properly and felt pain and pressure during the dive. Made it few times down 30' than (shot a 21" tog) and came back to the boat.

Drove to the hospital next day (yesterday) to find out that my left eardrum is perforated and it has scars, which means it probably old trauma, currently in chronic state. I think it happened last year but I never visited a doctor and kept diving.

I was prescribed antibiotic ear drops and refereed to the ENT. Called few numbers this morning and they all booked for next 3-4 weeks. I don't mind to wait, but my concern is pretty strong headache and dizziness I currently experience. Tylenol in bigger dosage reduce symptoms but I'm not sure if this is a right way.

If you haven't already, call your insurance provider. They are normally interested in keeping you healthy and should be able to provide a list of in-network ENTs, even if you need to travel a half hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Anne Doherty

Hi-
I schedule ENT's for our patients all the time. I have found an office at Mt Auburn Hospital who can get pretty quick appts. Dr Christian Soneru, 300 My Auburn St Suite 308, Cambridge MA 617 354 1010.
Good luck!
Anne
Anne Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Agador
Argonaut

Thank you Anne! I scheduled appt with Dr Christian Soneru, than realized they are not in my insurance network
I will use cougarprey advise and check list of doctors on the insurance website. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
drbotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agador View Post
Hi guys,

Had the same problem few years ago, keep the ear dry, no drops if there is no infection or drainage/ discharge. Use some steroid nasal spray to keep the Eustachian tube open. Don't equilize or Valsalva. Stay away from dairy products, it thickens the saliva in the back of your nasal and sinus areas. The tympanic membrane will seal in a week and should be able to dive in four weeks.

drbotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Killa Kenny
"Go SCUP Yourself!"

If there is an infection in the inner ear, antibiotic drops will likely not penetrate and an oral antibiotic is necessary. I am not a medical doctor but have had a couple perfs and infections.

Keep it clean and dry, do not equalize.

Is your ear oozing funky smelling puss yet? This would indicate need for oral antibiotic.
Killa Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Savas_the_Greek

Hello Fellow Spearos,

Having battled ear problems last season I learned a lot from it. First, make sure you take your time and find a good ENT. You usually have to wait a long time for the good doctors. I see Dr. Arnold Lee at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, MA and he is great thus far. Do not rush back into the water because you will only make it worse. I found out the hard way last season. It turns out that in my case my "ear problems" were actually being caused by sinus issues relating to my anatomy and allergies.

My advice is to find a good doctor and until he checks you out hold of on diving.

Best of Luck!!!
Savas_the_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Agador
Argonaut

Thank you for advice friends! Luckily I didn't develop any infection and it feels good now. However, I understood, that I need to see a doctor first (I'm pretty sure I have permanent hole in eardrum). Going to switch to R&R in a mean time $)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Watdogg

Agador, how are you holding up my man? Feeling any better? Any new diagnosis?
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Agador
Argonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdogg View Post
Agador, how are you holding up my man? Feeling any better? Any new diagnosis?
Hey! Pain and weird feelings gone 3-4 days after, but I still didn't see an ENT... Waiting for appointment. Thanks for checking!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Watdogg

No worries! Between almost being swept out to sea last year and now this? I hope the rest of the season is smooth sailing for you (knock on wood).
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #12
Liveclean

Getting on steroids quickly can significantly decrease risk of hearing loss. I was slow, like 2 days and I did get 50 percent of my hearing back.

Liveclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Z-Mann

How are you coming along, Miro, hope you are doing better?
Z-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote