Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2014 Tournament and Event Archives > 2014 The Blue Wild Expo - February 22-23, 2014

2014 The Blue Wild Expo - February 22-23, 2014 This is a world-class spearfishing, diving and water sports event with 1,000s of participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Ballenita

Sweet,

Gonna start saving $ for the show.

Ballenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Re: Sweet,

Awesome! Best way to spend a birthday....above water
Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
hogzilla

im saving as well. Im looking for a new weapon of fish destruction. I am also thinking of trailering the boat up to mia and hittin water on monday after Bwild. Maybe I can have a few tag alongs that wanna share some mia spots with a key wester.
hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Parish_bruh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
im saving as well. Im looking for a new weapon of fish destruction. I am also thinking of trailering the boat up to mia and hittin water on monday after Bwild. Maybe I can have a few tag alongs that wanna share some mia spots with a key wester.
You better get with Daryl and tell him bring one extra. My 55 GR is THE GO TO weapon. If I'm not sure what I'm targeting, I'm bringing the Wong.

JB
Parish_bruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Ballenita

Dude hit me up and Ill take a few peeps on a Mia dive trip on my boat. Parish is in already.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
hogzilla

no need for new gun my wife got me a koah euro, recently.
hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
freedivemike

Hey All, Since the Blue Wild is 2 days after the Biscayne National Park comment period; this concerns all: Please comment to "preserve the cultural and social importance of spearfishing in coastal communities where it is practiced".

PLEASE COMMENT BEFORE FEBRUARY 20th 2013
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentF...cumentID=56275

Thank you,

Biscayne National Park GMP
National Park Service
M. Elmer (DSC–P)
PO Box 25287
Denver, CO 80225-0287

COMMENTS ON: Biscayne National Park Supplemental Draft General Management Plan / Environmental Impact Statement- November 2013

I ask that the BNP GMP adopt Alternative 1: No Action. The BNP GMP Alternatives 2 thru 7 (the Plan) are not supported by the best information available, the Plan discriminates against spearfisherman, the Plan is not fiscally responsible, the Plan presents undue human pressure on the Park’s environment and marine species, and the Plan creates safety hazards to recreational spearfisherman, snorkelers and divers.

I recommend that you incorporate better information readily available into your management plan, consider Effects of Spearfishing on Reef Fish Populations in a Multi-Use Conservation Area Ashley J. Frisch, Andrew J Cole, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, Justin R. Rizzari, Katherine P. Munkres, - Published: December 12, 2012 - which concludes that, “To minimize the effects of harvesting (fishing, spearfishing or other) on target species and to enhance protection of functionally important fishes (herbivores), we recommend that fishery managers adjust output controls such as size- and catch-limits, rather than prohibit spearfishing altogether. This will preserve the cultural and social importance of spearfishing in coastal communities where it is practiced.”

The information available in the GMP Appendixes Coral Reef Fish Assemblage Shifts and Declines in Biscayne National Park, Florida, USA does not support the GMP no take zones. It concludes that the declines in Biscayne National Park are “assemblage-wide” and so are not attributable to harvesting, fishing or spearfishing as any different from the overall decline observed in all species; “Declines of fishery-targeted species were also observed and were consistent with but not greater than those observed for the reef fish assemblage as a whole. The observed declines appeared to be assemblage-wide”.

The GMP discriminates against recreational spear fisherman; the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Jan 10, 2011 letter to Biscayne National Park, notes that the GMP is not enforceable as they restrict the public’s right to fish in a manner not provided by Florida Law.

Florida Law 379.2401 Marine fisheries; policy and standards. – (1) The Legislature hereby declares the policy of the state to be management and preservation of its renewable marine fishery resources, based upon the best available information, emphasizing protection and enhancement of the marine and estuarine environment in such a manner as to provide for optimum sustained benefits and use to all the people of this state for the present and future generations.

Yet spearfishing is beneficial to the park to control the invasive Lionfish species, while having no bicatch, and no impact on non-target species and reef, and the other marine environs. So why does the BNP GMP discriminate against spearfisherman?

The GMP no take zone is actually over 50% of the current fishing area of the park (as opposed to a % of the entire park), so the GMP no take zone doubles the pressure on the rest of the Park, and its marine environment. Doubles the pressure on swimmer / boater safety, no anchor zones exacerbate safety issues, limited buoys add to the safety problem, and higher boat traffic pressure in the remaining diminished area make for disastrous bodily injury and personal liability.

The BNP’s Elliott Key Harbor and Campground is closed “until further notice”, yet the BNP GMP budget includes a $4.8 million dollar Miami Visitor Center without economic justification, no operating budget; and no site plans. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is concerned that the Miami Visitor Center will be built, “within or adjacent to the Critical Wildlife Area” on Virginia Key (GMP Appendix). The BNP should also be concerned that Virginia Key’s sewage plant is currently under litigation due to a lack of planning for rising waters. Miami does not need another “build it and they will come” fiasco.

I recommend that you include your constituents in the next BNP GMP to formulate a better way to educate and enforcement the current park regulations while lobbying for improved management of the fishery. Include our community Universities (FIU, UofM, etc), include our community commercial lobsterman and fisherman (the BNP GMP will bankrupt this industry), include our community Dive Shops (the GMP will devastate this business), include our community fisherman and spearfisherman as they spend more time and know the oceans better than you do. I urge that you acknowledge the importance of the Biscayne National Park to our local community. Adopt Alternative 1: No Action.

Sincerely,
Attached Files
File Type: doc COMMENTS to BNP GMP December 2013.doc (61.5 KB, 314 views)
freedivemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Ballenita

Did it Mike! Passed it on on facebook as well. We need everyone who sees this to please comment and pass it on to everyone they know so that we can keep what god gave us.