Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
JJohansen

Re: Bali in february ?

Interesting how folks underestimate the impact of spearfishing in our home waters and at these remote locations. Here in Hawaii, can't tell you how many times I hear how everyone else is to blame for low fish counts, line fishermen ect, the same guys who think nothing of shooting 4-5 uhu and mu to prove they can. In the end, a dead fish is a dead fish, and one less on the reef. Just one example, down the road from me is a spot that I have dove for the past 15 or so years. It gets really deep really quick and quite a few bluewater fish are taken from shore. Up untill a few years ago only a handfull of us dove there, and you could count on geting a nice uku or ono at least every other dive. About two years ago bluewater hunting got really popular and the spot is now inundated with divers almost every day. The impact has been massive. The fish are few and wary, and the sharks have gotten used to feeding on the 25lbs of chum that each diver puts out. When someone is lucky enough to spear a nice ono they throw pictures up all over the net clearly showing the location. It sucks big time for those of us that grew up treating this place with care and respect.
I am suprised that Indonesia is trying to address the problem in a meaningfull way, I would think that a somewhat developing nation would not bother. Hell, even in Hawaii we can't get anything done to really manage our reefs. I have been at meetings where even the suggestion of closing down a section of reef has almost led to blows. This is not the same situation as in california where MPAs are for the most part pointless as divers have shown they can harvest sustainably.

As far as dogtooth go, I guess what I have learned is that more than any other fish, you have to have everything just right to land a good fish- not only you gear but the situation you take the shot. If there are sharks that are acting up, odds go way down. If your shot is not in the head so that you can turn the fish , odds go down. I hate the feeling of seeing a good fish rip off to go and die, we should do everything we can to make a good clean kill.
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
UnderH2OHunter
Joe

Re: Bali in february ?

That is a particularly sad statistic.
UnderH2OHunter is offline   Reply With Quote