Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
viva la figa

Great Barrier Reef Spearing help!!!!

Gday all I am from Los Angeles (born in Brisvegas) and I am headed up to Cairns to do a yacht delivery with a spearo mate of mine. Not too sure of the itinerary at the moment but was interested what reefs and islands we should hit up between Cairns and the Gold Coast.

Never been spearing up that way before what gear should I bring? Will I need a reel or float line. I dont have one and my mate says not to bother as all he is taking up there at the moment are trout? What gear should I bring and how should I be set up?
viva la figa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
nigelr

Re: Great Barrier Reef Spearing help!!!!

Presumably he is talking coral trout, one of the best eating fish in the ocean.
Can't help you personally as I don't know the area at all, but take your mates' advice would be my call, and possibly set up for a spanish mackeral or two as well.
Check out Barry Paxmans' fantastic thread re West Oz in the Cali section, similar gear to what they are using would be the go I'd imagine, pretty sure they use Barrys' excellent reels, which IMO you would want (or a floatline and float) if chasing spanish.
Oh and make sure you are over the relevent Qld rules and regs for spearing!
Cheers and enjoy!
nigelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
viva la figa

I did post the same message in the west Aus post in the Cali section. not much responce just "make sure you check the regs" Not sure if i should use a float line or not I want to go after big stuff but my mate says not to bother as he only goes after coral trout.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva la figa View Post
I did post the same message in the west Aus post in the Cali section. not much responce just "make sure you check the regs" Not sure if i should use a float line or not I want to go after big stuff but my mate says not to bother as he only goes after coral trout.

around great barrier reef , the fishes are pretty easy to spear .

you must get some good shafts such as spring steel ones and also to check carefully the areas where spearfishing is legal or not ..there are many protected areas over there.

for gear , it is always upon what you would like to spear as everywhere else in the world ..if it is only about fish to eat such as coral trouts or spanish mackerel or else a simple reel gun would be enough .
if it is about dogtooth tunas a float line and float would help .

try to catch some barramundi cod if you meet some ..are the best there..
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Aimrite

Aloha

We have a home about 2 hours south of Cairns in the Town of Cardwell. Not that I am a expert in spearing in that area but I have been out a few times.

GEAR- Bring a 130 cm gun with a float/float line and bring a 120 cm gun with a reel and you will have all your bases covered. I used a 120 KING Venom with a reel just last month and had a blast with it.

Plenty of fish there to shoot but just as many "not to shoot" so check with your guild before pulling the trigger. Also as Marco said the GBR has many Green Zones but the good news is it is a "Very Large Reef" so ample areas for you to spear.

Good luck and have fun! Here is a picture of a red emperior that I found last month while visiting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Emperior.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	139084  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
sacha58

Know nothing bout GBR, but I love your nickname.....who taught you Italian?
Sempre Viva

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
viva la figa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
Know nothing bout GBR, but I love your nickname.....who taught you Italian?
Sempre Viva
hahahahaha I dont speak Italian...Valintino Rossi gave it to me...hahahahaha
Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
viva la figa

have been trying to read up on the GBR regs but that damn website is in typical governmentese and impossible to decipher. and hard to find the right information that pertains to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
new1new2

Hey mate im from Port Douglas which is just north Cairns. You should be able to pick up all the zoning maps for free from any tackle shop. They are free so just grab them all. There is so much reef and islands starting pretty much at Bundaberg and heading the rest of the way up. The Bunker Group is about 60nm off the coast at Bundy and have heard good reports. But its good along all the coast. The boys over at the adreno spearfishing forum should have all the info you need: www.spearfishing.com.au
new1new2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~~>Be prepared, take as much as you can, you are going to the Great Barrier Reef for God sakes!!!
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
luxemburg

Firstly, you cant take barramundi cod anymore. this is a big no no.

To cover all basis this would be ideal.
1.5m rail gun with 7.5mm shaft twin 14s or 16s and brake away with bungie and decent float.

1.3 rail gun with 7mm shaft single 18 or 20 with 30m rig to a decent float.

1.2 or 1.1 reel gun with 7mm shaft and 18 or 20.
You should also take a threaded shaft for a pranger as this would be perfect for the coral trout and fish in caves.
Paxman reel would be perfect, no holes drilled and they are the best reel going, I doubt many of your mates in the states would have one or heard of them either. Get in contact with saltyseadog from the Western Australia thread

You can shoot lobsters aswell in QLD but not in NSW.

Check the regs and if you have to buy your gear when you get here check out
superfrog.bur.st
Favourite railgun of most of the top aussie spearos
luxemburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
Judge

I envy the trip you could have coming down the GBR. I live in Central Queensland. I suggest weather permitting you spend time at one or all of the following. Frederick Reef; Kenn Reef; Wreck Reef. The Bunker Capricorn Group stretches for hundreds of miles and is also great place to spear.

There are a lot of Green Zones, so you will need the local maps that show these. GPS marks are available to give you exact positions of these zones.

I suggest you don't use any light gear. Take spare spears. Even a slow swimming, easy to spear trout will bend spears without too much trouble. Be prepared to encounter some lively sharks, there is no shortage of them.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a local spearo to show you around.

For most spearos such a trip would be a trip of a life time... so enjoy it.

Judge
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
viva la figa

back in the states now and the trip went to shit...the owner decided that he wanted to come along but he had to be back on the Goldy within 5 days....so we high tailed it down the coast and did not stop once....then when we got in he said thanks see you later...i asked what about some pay since that is what I do for a living (I race and do yacht deliveries....this was a delivery with a good mate and Capt. friend of mine who needed the help and extra watch captain. well the owner who owns a very famous steak house named after the main street in Surfers Paradise) He told me to sod off you had fun and that it was a holiday for me....what the hell the basterd!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Bummer about the boat... but please tell us that you got off the boat and made your way back up to the reefs & slayed some fish!?! If I flew all the way over there, I would have walked back & swam out... Any pics?
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote