Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Wahooooo!

Soapies

Moved half way up the coast of east Australia 7 months ago, looking for warmer water, weather, and more importantly......... bigger fish.

Well, the weather and water are warmer but wind, waves, and dirty water have conspired to keep me out of the water. Most diving here is on rocky headlands or offshore islands that are within 5 miles of shore, so rain and waves have a big impact on conditions.

Conditions finally let off enough to dive a spot less than a mile from my house. Mulloway (jewfish) look similar to California's white sea bass but are mostly found in gullies in shallow water (no kelp beds here).

They are hard to find but not very smart so if you scare them off they often return to the same spot a little later. I found a group of these fish, took one, went back took another, and then lost them for awhile. I decided I was only going to take one more before getting out.

Found a group sitting bunched up in a small gully and took the shot..................and landed two with one shot!!!!!

Very stoked to finally shoot some decent fish in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web soapies.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	141237   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail web.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	141238  

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
nigelr

Re: Soapies

Nice work wahoo, nice eating fish they are, too.
Should be better days ahead, if the rain lets up, which is doubtful this year, unfortunately.
Cheers.
nigelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Kaimana

Nice fish!
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
bandito
Matt

Nice job! i had a similar experience in nambucca heads, nsw years ago. i shot some small kingies on the outer reef and was heading back in along the rocks in five feet of water when i swam over a gully and it was loaded with 8-10 big jewfish! i was so suprised i took a crappy shot and put it right through the meat of a nice one. id spent a lot of time looking for them in deeper water only to find them right up on the rocks!
bandito is offline   Reply With Quote