Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Ascendv6
Barón Rojo club de buceo

Karate

I wanted to share a little stoke I have for my boys. Many of you on here have met my kids at various functions, or perhaps you've been to my place during a party. Anyway, Ryan (my oldest boy) has tried soccer, baseball, basketball...never really liking any of the team sports. He does like diving with me, but he wanted something he could do more often. We signed him up for a 1 month free trial in karate. He loved it. Andrew (younger brother) decided to try. Now they are both loving it. I have videos of the two competitions they have entered.

https://vimeo.com/ascendv6

In the first comp, Ryan got the Gold, and Andrew took home the Bronze. In the second, both got 4th place. I am just thrilled that the boys have found something active they can do that they both love to do.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Oh yeah, if you get a chance...check out the drunk Canadian dancing video. That guy was cracking me up!
Ascendv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
sbh

Re: Karate

Very cool thanks for sharing!I have a similar scenerio...my 10 year old son is very athletic but could care less about any of the regular team sports. Tennis lasted a while but then he got bored of that. He picked up surfing really quick but says he's scared of sharks now after a few local people got bit (we see sharks regularly surfing so its hard to lie and say they aren't there), so we were looking for something for him to do. He dives with me some but not much. He started at a kyoshukin karate school a few months back and it seems to possibly be a good match for him as well. He is in his first tournament in a few weeks so we'll see...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
maguimaraes
Marcelo

That is really cool, as a kid my mom never really forced a sport on me but I was always trying something, Soccer, volleyball, tennis, Judo, Karate, until I got into Capoeira and haven't looked back, been practicing it for over 20 years now.

It's a great sport for everyone and specially kids, not only you have the discipline of the martial art but get to learn how to play a lot of musical instruments, sing and dance.

It is a Brazilian art so it all comes with the package.

for your kids!

for you for encouraging them!
maguimaraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Nice if it was a real fight, your son would have won. He had the kid on his back 3 times.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
turtle714
IDGAF

Awesome! Get em' into muay thai n' they could be like these kids! haha

MUAY THAI KIDS - UNBELIEVABLE - YouTube
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote