Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
spearstudtx
Nathan

White House Comments

So I got this email today:

"Thank you for contacting me to express your views on President Barack Obama’s National Ocean and Great Lakes Policy initiative. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

On June 12, 2009, President Obama released a memorandum establishing a new interagency task force, operating under the White House Council on Environmental Quality, that will be responsible for formulating a national policy on our oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes. Over the course of six months, the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force will finalize a comprehensive framework to implement the President’s ocean policy initiatives. These measures include extensive modifications to our existing ocean conservation, management, and spatial planning programs, as well as a re-evaluation of the United States’ position on a critical international law matter––the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

While I recognize the need to ensure that federal agencies cooperate in implementing the numerous federal regulations that govern the use of our natural resources, the President’s ocean policy initiative represents a troubling expansion of regulatory authority, and fails to acknowledge the benefit that many legitimate economic activities––like recreational fishing––provide to the conservation of living marine resources and ecosystems. Furthermore, I am concerned that the Task Force recommendations would seek to conform U.S. ocean policy to the provisions of the Law of the Sea Treaty. As you may know, the third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea concluded in December 1982 with the drafting of the Law of the Sea Convention. This treaty, adopted by 155 nations, establishes rules on the use of the world's oceans—specifically regarding freedom of navigation and mining of deep seabeds in areas beyond national jurisdictions. The United States has rejected the treaty twice; first by President Ronald Reagan in 1982 and again in 1994 when the United States Senate failed to bring the treaty to a vote. I strongly believe that we should not allow a foreign country or an international organization to make decisions that should be our own exclusive province, and you may be certain that I will strongly oppose any initiative that places the United Nations before the American people.

Lastly, I share your concerns regarding the need for an adequate public review period. Any effort to implement a comprehensive framework governing all U.S. oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes will involve a multitude of considerations. Therefore, it is my hope that the Task Force will conduct a thorough public comment period to ensure stakeholders—states, industries, and citizens—have the maximum opportunity to provide input on this proposal. I encourage you to submit any statements regarding this matter to the White House at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/administra...iatives/oceans.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as I continue to monitor this situation closely. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator"

Pretty standard stuff. Well it reminded me to check out some stuff on the White House home page. Here is a link that goes to the comments on the issue. Most are just standardized comments but if you are interested in finding out who is actually writing and what for, check it out.

http://www.socrata.com/government/In...ents/4w5y-5cfm
spearstudtx is offline   Reply With Quote