Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #46
seadogger

Re: Got wrapped

I'm not a free diver but why don't you guys use a neoprene weight belt where he weights go inside and then your line can't get caught on the weights. ?? Just my. 2 cents.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #47
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
I'm not a free diver but why don't you guys use a neoprene weight belt where he weights go inside and then your line can't get caught on the weights. ?? Just my. 2 cents.
Getting lines caught on a weight is not that big of a deal because the belt is ditchable. Have you ever used a rubber freedive belt for scuba diving?

A rubber freedive belt is so superior to a neoprene pocket belt, there is just no comparison in function and comfort.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #48
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Getting lines caught on a weight is not that big of a deal because the belt is ditchable. Have you ever used a rubber freedive belt for scuba diving?

A rubber freedive belt is so superior to a neoprene pocket belt, there is just no comparison in function and comfort.
Totally agree with you Jim. Vastly superior.

Also like your advice on making another dive to kill the fish and then another dive or two to free the fish. Good stuff.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #49
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

I know a few people that SCUBA with a rubber freedive belt, myself included. It stays tight to your body and doesn't spin around on your waist like the scuba belts.

I have integrated BCD but prefer the belt. We usually lift divers BCD's over gunnels to limit stress on dive ladders and it's faster if done correctly. The one's with integrated weights are a pain to pull up with extra weight.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #50
geofri
Ectothermic member

[quote=bluebacore;2003732]The argument reel v float line to me Is irrelevant here If your wrapped your wrapped Its going to happen sooner or later. The question is how do you get out. Even if you use a vinyl float line your going to have to deal with the thin shooting line no matter what. I agree 100% with having a second knife just for this reason. the whitewater recue knife sounds good but if you can't find or afford one I strongly recommend a Victornox called a "standard pairing knife with wavy edge" (serrated) on there website they cost about 5 or 6 dollars and you can find them at most kitchen/cutlery stores. They are the knifes we use on all commercial fishing boats in Alaska an will cut through a 1" piece of crab line with ease and a new one will cut trough a tight piece of 500 pound cable shooting line with little effort. They have saved many of Alaska commercial fisherman life's. Always wear it where you can reach it with either hand.[/QUOTE

Dude. Every time I go to Europe, I snag a dozen of them. Those knives are sweet.

Never did dive with one, but always thought it would be nice. Never knew they made sheaths before !
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote