Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
pelagic hunter

Bottom Fishing is Closed !! Obamas Task Force Policy !!

SHIMANO AMERICAN CORPORATION

News Release

For Immediate Release – 10/5/09

FEDS TO 60 MILLION AMERICAN ANGLERS:

WE DON’T NEED YOU

IRVINE, Calif. USA – October 5, 2009 – A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Interagency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters. Under the guise of ‘protecting’ these areas, the current second phase of the Task Force direction is to develop zoning which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide. This is to be completed by December 9, 2009.

Dave Pfeiffer, President of Shimano American Corporation explained, “In spite of extensive submissions from the recreational fishing community to the Task Force in person and in writing, they failed to include any mention of the over one million jobs or the 6o million anglers which may be affected by the new policies coast to coast. Input from the environmental groups who want to put us off the water was adopted into the report verbatim – the key points we submitted as an industry were ignored.”

Recreational fishing generates a $125 billion annual economy in the United States and supports jobs in every state according to government figures. Through the Sport Fish Restoration program, anglers have provided more than $5 billion through excise taxes on fishing tackle to fishery conservation and education for decades.

In addition to the economic aspects, anglers lead the nation in volunteer conservation efforts on behalf of improving fish habitat, water quality and related environmental areas. “There was no mention of the fishery conservation efforts which anglers have led for over 50 years in every state – an environmental success story that has no equal in the world”, said Phil Morlock, Director, Environmental Affairs for Shimano. “The Task Force did not make any distinction between the dramatic differences between harmful commercial fishing harvest methods and recreational fishing, even though we spelled it out for them in detail,” added Morlock.

Claiming to be the result of a public consultation process the report states, “Having considered a broad range of public comments, this report reflects the requests and concerns of all interested parties.”

The original White House memo and not surprisingly the Task Force report contains multiple references to developing a national policy where Great Lakes and coastal regions are managed, “consistent with international law, including customary international law as reflected in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea” - a 300-page treaty the U.S. has never ratified.

“We question what implications there will be for state authority and jurisdiction in the Great Lakes and coastal regions if the U.S. adopts the U.N. Treaty,” said Pfeiffer.

The report makes it clear that future authority for implementing the policy for coastal and inland waters will fall under White House jurisdiction with a new National Ocean Council comprised of over 20 federal agencies at Cabinet Secretary or Deputy Secretary level. No reference to Congressional jurisdiction is indicated.

“This significant change in U.S. policy direction is the result of a 90-day fire drill process as ordered by the President that, not surprisingly, lacks balance, clarity and quality in the end product,” said Morlock. “People who simply want to take their kids fishing on public waters deserve better from their government,” he added.

Shimano is joining with other members of the recreational fishing industry to urge anglers to contact their members of Congress and the administration to request this process be required to adopt the economic, conservation and social contributions of recreational fishing as key elements of the policy. It is critical that we ensure Congressional oversight and state jurisdiction and management continues.

E-letters can be sent to the administration and members of Congress by visiting KeepAmericanFishing.org. The future of fishing is in your hands.

###

Editor’s Note: Phil Morlock is attending Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus functions this week in Washington, DC, but will make himself available for questions, interviews on this. Contact John Mazurkiewicz with Catalyst Marketing for arrangements.

you see what i highlighted in red above, now look at SAFMCs next council meeting:
December 7‐11, 2009
Sheraton Atlantic Beach Oceanfront Hotel
2717 W. Fort Macon Road
Atlantic Beach, NC 28512
Phone: 1‐800‐624‐8875 or 252‐240‐1155/Fax: 252‐240‐1452

now , as i understand, after dec 9th, the meeting is completely closed off to the public....so i think their minds are already made up. They have to have it done as mandated by the government. I really don't know what will stop it. The only thing i can think of is to write the federal representatives we have and support the FRA in hopes that this can be stopped in FEDERAL court. Other than that i don't think theres much SAFMC can do. THEY have to close fishing. Obama wants it. So we have to do something from here.
pelagic hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
kitespearo
KITESPEARO

Send a message via MSN to kitespearo
Re: Bottom Fishing is Closed !! Obamas Task Force Policy !!

Speechless
kitespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
seadogger

I would really like to take Obama on a DEEP dive !!
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Killing Nemo

Time to sell your shit! Looks like the only fish we'll be eating is plastic wrapped dog food fed crap
Killing Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Shoot2Thrill

[quote=pelagic hunter;1090413]SHIMANO AMERICAN CORPORATION

News Release

For Immediate Release – 10/5/09

FEDS TO 60 MILLION AMERICAN ANGLERS:

WE DON’T NEED YOU

E-letters can be sent to the administration and members of Congress by visiting KeepAmericanFishing.org. The future of fishing is in your hands.

http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing...ertid=14119696

This site provides a pre-formatted letter that will be automatically sent your state senators and house of representatives via email. It takes less than 30 seconds to do it!!
Shoot2Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Alexrom1207

I grew up on the ocean. My father started taking me out fishing when I was 3 years old. We had a small boat back then 26' Welcraft, back when a fish finder printed out the bottom conditions via a dot matrix printer. We caught bluefish flounder and the occasional striped bass. I've been fishing my entire life since then, and we've bought and sold many boats, now into the 60+ foot range. But my fondest memories are from the deck of that welcraft learning the great past time of fishing and many of life's lessons from my father. I hope to do the same with my kids one day (and I will).

For lack of a better term, this is bullshit.

If this goes through, they will have some finely worded letters from me.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
pelagic hunter

[quote=Alexrom1207;1090662

If this goes through, they will have some finely worded letters from me.[/QUOTE]

they need your letters now !!! not after the fact. once its a done deal its over !!! were not getting anything back !!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

I honestly thought this was fake when I first saw you post it....that crazy porchmonkey needs to get shut down!
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
ny_er

I've seen this posted like 2 or 3times now, I went to the whitehouse website and read the press release

where does it where or what fishing will be closed? or what they are expecting to close?

If you go to the whitehouse site and actually read the doc it says

Quote:
Yet, the oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes are subject to
substantial pressures and face significant environmental
challenges. Challenges include water pollution and degraded
coastal water quality caused by industrial and commercial
activities both onshore and offshore, habitat loss, fishing
impacts, invasive species, disease, rising sea levels, and
ocean acidification.
just curious on how this means "bottom fishing is closed""

unless the original poster is confusing this with the noaa, or whatever plan
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
njdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_er View Post
I've seen this posted like 2 or 3times now, I went to the whitehouse website and read the press release

where does it where or what fishing will be closed? or what they are expecting to close?

If you go to the whitehouse site and actually read the doc it says

just curious on how this means "bottom fishing is closed""

unless the original poster is confusing this with the noaa, or whatever plan
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/pdfs/Gr...ack%20FAQs.pdf

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/bulletins/...%20Closure.pdf

http://www.safmc.net/Meetings/Public...6/Default.aspx

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/press_rele...SB%20Final.pdf

Nuff said?

Last edited by njdiver; 11-13-2009 at 09:31 AM.
njdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
ny_er

umm actually no not a "nuff said" ,what do these closures have to do with the original post?

the links you pointed to are noaa and samfmc links

where the original post is about a some task force looking at the great lakes and inland waters

did you even read the first post? maybe I am missing where the posted memo is linked to noaa and safmc, or any actual suggested fish closures
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
pelagic hunter

safmc is the task force that is responsible for making sure these closures take place. they respond to NOAA and the subcommittee on insular affairs. they are basically a "pawn" or the extension arm of the fed govt for closing down fishing. get involved. read about it. JOIN THE FRA. if you think for one second they won't close down fishing along the ENTIRE EAST COAST FROM MAINE TO FLORIDA YOURE GRAVELY MISTAKEN !!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
njdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_er View Post
umm actually no not a "nuff said" ,what do these closures have to do with the original post?

the links you pointed to are noaa and samfmc links

where the original post is about a some task force looking at the great lakes and inland waters

did you even read the first post? maybe I am missing where the posted memo is linked to noaa and safmc, or any actual suggested fish closures
Try these:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administra...atives/oceans/

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administra...interimreport/
Old 11-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
POL
Displaced Person

I love the wording in that memo. And how the dead zones, algal bloom and invasive species are tied to fishing. They did talk about pollution from industry in other sections, but only when fishing was mentioned did they talk about the news making subjects that everyone can relate to.

I tried to look for checks and balances for NOC, and at a glance I found:"Governance Advisory Committee" ok, so great. they will get some input from the locals. but than I noticed that the Advisory Committee will be chosen by NOC.

ok, so only one left:"Ocean Research and Resources Advisory Panel"
The ORRAP would provide independent advice and guidance to the NOC.
OK, sounds like a check and balance. But again at the end of the paragraph:
The NOC would routinely provide guidance and direction on the areas for which it seeks advice and recommendations from the ORRAP.

They are kinda stacking the deck here, aren't they? Or am i missing something.

Good news is that I saw something similar many years ago, and based on previous experience I can predict the outcome here. Unfortunately my previous experience is from Communist Poland in the '70s and '80.
This is a classic example of the Government sneaking in more unchecked control.
POL is offline   Reply With Quote