Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
CuzzA

Re: New Ocean Rhino/Biller Free/Line Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Yeah line vs freeshaft often frustrates me here on the east coast. Just monday i was drifting the reef and I see a nice kingfish cruising right at me. I was in freeshaft mode and this king passes slowly about 6 or 7 feet from me. By the time I get the slide ring up over the flopper and line up the shot he is about 10 -12 feet from me which is too far for line shaft with the battle ax on this big of fish. It is always a trade off.
I agree about the trade off.

Though not very sporting and illegal in state water, there's always an option.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I think I've seen this. No back loading though, right?
Correct, the spears have a cone on them that prevents you from back loading. After a chat with Kevin I'm not convinced that there is much if any time benefit in back loading vs front loading (assuming you're starting from a muscle memory of zero)
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #18
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Correct, the spears have a cone on them that prevents you from back loading. After a chat with Kevin I'm not convinced that there is much if any time benefit in back loading vs front loading (assuming you're starting from a muscle memory of zero)
My gun holds 3 freeshafts I can get all of them loaded and out of my gun in 30 seconds or less backloading. Not going to happen frontloading.

Here is a couple of videos... First one is Dan and the second is me fumbling on the second shaft a little. Way faster than frontloading and with practice you don’t even take your eyes off the fish which is important.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj5zc0PRw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGS1hLo8sGw

Last edited by kmoose; 10-22-2018 at 08:03 PM.
kmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
CuzzA

I'm not at the level of reloading like Moose and Dan yet, but if you notice in my videos I will pull and reload another freeshaft after a shot, just for practice even if it's not necessary. Once you start backloading you won't go back.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
Habo

I saw an Ocean Rhino retro fit kit at my LDS. I did not buy it, but I really looked it over.
It has the slide ring, the brass cone, mono line, speed load elastic loop, clip, screw in hook for ring when not in use, new flopper, and beaded pin. It is to be used on the 2 flopper shaft that the floppers are offset, not the one with two short floppers in one spot.

You would take off both floppers, slide cone on and on the back flopper hole, in front of cone, put in the beaded post, then put on the new flopper in the front flopper position. Add hook screwed into bottom of gun, mono line, speed loop, and it's converted.

Kit cost was $30. And...no need for new shaft, if you already own those offset flopper shaft(s).
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #21
sharpshooter

Quote:
I'm not at the level of reloading like Moose and Dan yet, but if you notice in my videos I will pull and reload another freeshaft after a shot, just for practice even if it's not necessary. Once you start backloading you won't go back.
You're doing the right thing by automatically reloading a shaft. You never know what is going to come in after shooting a fish. Ex. How many time have you shot a grouper or mango that kicked up the bottom and had a hog fish or gag do a swim by? Also, by auto reloading. You'll be faster at putting in a finishing second shaft into a still green fish. I've seen lots of experienced spearos grab the end of a shaft on a green fish and the fish torque itself off and get away. They could of put a second shaft in the fish closer up and had the fish.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Ive seen your videos and you do great getting the second shaft loaded when you need it. It will be second nature to auto load once you commit to making it happen every time you shoot. Before long you will mounting a third...
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Ive seen your videos and you do great getting the second shaft loaded when you need it. It will be second nature to auto load once you commit to making it happen every time you shoot. Before long you will mounting a third...
Thanks. I'm clamoring for the day I look down and I'm out of shafts and there's three stoned fish laying on the sea floor. Lots to be learned from you guys who do it for a living.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #24
grey2112

I'm convinced that anyone, with lots of practice, regardless of their gun, can reload very fast - whether they are back loading or front loading.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:41 AM   #25
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I'm convinced that anyone, with lots of practice, regardless of their gun, can reload very fast - whether they are back loading or front loading.
Do you hunt with a gun capable of backloading?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #26
Salamispear

Kevin at Ocean Rhino / Spearfishing Specialties has come up with a Hyper Link system that you can use on most current shafts. The Spearmaster system requires that you purchase the shafts with a 9/32 diameter on the first several inches. So, the slip ring only goes over those thinner tipped shafts. Also, i believe that the line ring holder has been flattened more than in standard shafts which likely (and since i'm a mechanical engineer...am certain of this) weakens the shaft at that location. Only other question is, how does it exit the nozzle? Contact with the sides of the nozzle will likely make the shaft pitch one way of the other.

I'll stick with my 5/16 shafts and add the Hyper Link cone and system so i can quickly go to line shaft. I'm not a commercial guy and don't always go out to put 100s of fish on the boat. So, rear loading just doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I think that's something that each shooter is going to figure out as a personal preference. I just can't see replacing all my shafts for that feature.

Just my 2 cents...either way...have fun shooting fish! and stay safe!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Do you hunt with a gun capable of backloading?
Have used both (AB Biller and Rhinos, as well as closed track sharkfin tab guns)
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #28
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamispear View Post
Kevin at Ocean Rhino / Spearfishing Specialties has come up with a Hyper Link system that you can use on most current shafts. The Spearmaster system requires that you purchase the shafts with a 9/32 diameter on the first several inches. So, the slip ring only goes over those thinner tipped shafts. Also, i believe that the line ring holder has been flattened more than in standard shafts which likely (and since i'm a mechanical engineer...am certain of this) weakens the shaft at that location. Only other question is, how does it exit the nozzle? Contact with the sides of the nozzle will likely make the shaft pitch one way of the other.

I'll stick with my 5/16 shafts and add the Hyper Link cone and system so i can quickly go to line shaft. I'm not a commercial guy and don't always go out to put 100s of fish on the boat. So, rear loading just doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I think that's something that each shooter is going to figure out as a personal preference. I just can't see replacing all my shafts for that feature.

Just my 2 cents...either way...have fun shooting fish! and stay safe!
There's no wrong way. You are right. Personal preference and I agree have fun and be safe.

While most of us don't shoot commercially, there is another thing to consider that can impact fun... Losing that fish, maybe a personal best fish, because it took too long to get a second shaft in it, or you lost sight of where it went while looking back at the handle to see if you're lined up to lock the shaft in.

That for me is where you can get slowed down. Pulling the shaft back toward you sometimes results in the shaft not being seated in the track because you're working from the front of the gun. Anyone who says they haven't done this is lying. The correct technique is to guide the shaft with your free hand, sometimes that doesn't happen perfectly, especially when you're excited.

Backloading allows you to insert the tip into the closed muzzle and drop the shaft in the track. You don't need to take your eye off the target. It can be done simply by feel. You have better leverage on the shaft.

This is just my opinion and for some it's worth exactly what they paid for it, for others, they might like that option.

At the end of the day, the stringer does the talking.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #29
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Have used both (AB Biller and Rhinos, as well as closed track sharkfin tab guns)
Sharkfin tabs / enclosed tracks, cant be back loaded.
Not only can A B Biller be back loaded , but even better...insert the notch into the trigger and snap the shaft into the muzzle...that way you can have your hand around the shaft for it is not in the track yet.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Sharkfin tabs / enclosed tracks, cant be back loaded.
Not only can A B Biller be back loaded , but even better...insert the notch into the trigger and snap the shaft into the muzzle...that way you can have your hand around the shaft for it is not in the track yet.
Perhaps I should have explained in better detail. What I meant to say is that I have used guns capable of back loading and incapable of backloading. I assert, again, that with proper training and practice, a person could reload just as fast (at least by human norms) using either style of gun.

For instance, if I asked you this question, what would your answer be off the top of your head:

Who could shoot and reload faster?

1 - A well trained man with a semi-auto pistol using a magazine

2 - A well trained man with a revolver and a speed-loader