Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
AndrewK

Re: What fish are edible that i can spearfish in reefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.A View Post
Akapp - stop feed the troll...LOL. You're dealing with a 14 year old home schooled kid that can barely type and is too f'in lazy to read the regs himself. If he won't read the regs he shouldn't be in the water. I'm sure FWC will explain the catch limits to him and help him updated his cards for a small fee.
Couldnt help it, bored in class and stupidity frustrates me
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Eraygunz

Dude go to walmart! There are millions of them everywhere! Get a Florida fishing regulations guide. It is free! If you don't,you might end up in jail. To many of the wrong fish on a stringer will get you in bad trouble! Also some of the locals might take it personal. I would!!!! The parrot fish is a no no ! They eat them in some other countries,not here. It's illegal ! Most fish have size limits and bag limits. And like one of the others was hinting at,don't take more than you need. Killing a bunch of fish for fun is just stupid! And the reason lots of people don't like Spearos!.
Is, first thing. Go get some books and read them! It's in your best interest to do so!
And after that ,have fun and be safe.
Eraygunz
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

If you can download an app use "Fishing Companion" and down load your area.
It tells all and has good pictures

Fishing Companion iPhone App (Fish ID and Regulations) - YouTube
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
elioloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
you CANT spear -

Spanish hogfish
parrotfish
queen triggerfish

Get them off your list and fix your "as many as I want" listing on those cards. Any respectable spearfisherman will know before you even go in the water what your targeted fish look like and what you can and cant shoot.... and how big they are supposed to be. Also, dont get any ideas of spearing any lobster. if you plan on going after bugs get a gauge for measuring their shells, it costs a dollar for a plastic one. as far as vermillion snapper..... Good luck finding any of those within freediving depths.

You need to do alot more research before you hit the water and start blindly trying to kill every fish you see.

can you tell me a place that state that spanish hogfish cant be speared??..thanks
elioloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
surfandscience

This thread still exists, cracks me up
surfandscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

Spanish Hog... check the tropical s section
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
lictol

Spearing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish by bow hunting, gigging, spearfishing, or by any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook and line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking)."

Spearfishing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water."

The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited. The following is a list of species that are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed that are managed by the Commission, and those species not managed by the Commission, may be harvested by spearing.
■Billfish (all species)
■Spotted eagle ray
■Sturgeon
■Manta ray
■Sharks
■Bonefish
■Tarpon
■Goliath Grouper
■Snook
■Blue Crab
■Nassau grouper
■Spotted seatrout
■Red drum (commonly known as redfish)
■Weakfish
■Stone Crab
■Pompano
■African pompano
■Permit
■Tripletail
■Lobster
■Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)

You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:
■Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
■Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
■Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
■In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.
■For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).
■In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)

Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.
lictol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
DjZeff

ive shot hogfish, snapper, and mackrel on reefs in south florida.. I live in stuart and go off of south of pecks lake or go down and scuba dive riveara beach like off the breakers Yeah pretty much all snapper taste awesome also sheepshead are good