Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2012 Tournament and Event Archives > 2012 BBO Big Bang! Open Tournament - July 20-22, 2012

2012 BBO Big Bang! Open Tournament - July 20-22, 2012 The Biggest Spear Wars Battle in the Galaxies - A Big Blast!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator
 
SpearMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 16,402
Smile DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read

Here attached are the official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open in draft form. This is a PDF version attached to make it easy if you wish to print them out. Keep in mind though that these are not the final rules yet.

Once again a few species are closed on the west coast of Florida at the time of the tournament - namely Amberjack and Triggerfish.

As worked well last year, our weighmaster Randy and I made adjustments for the Amberjack with the allowance of one barracuda (in addition to the wild card) for west coast shooters. Any of the barracuda brought in can be donated to the shark scientists and is greatly appreciated by them.

I stated these rules are in draft form because I would like some feedback on the triggerfish closure. Randy and I thought it would not make any sense to allow a barracuda in that category due to the typical significant weight difference between those two species. Keep in mind our 20 points (pounds) maximum points for aggregate scoring.

What we are proposing to do for this year is eliminate Triggerfish from the fish list below for both coasts and in its place add Porgy. Therefore, you could weigh in two sheepsheads, two porgies or one sheepshead and one porgy.

The tournament has strived from its inception to provide as much of a level playing field as possible for all regions in which contestants are shooting.



Please review the attached PDF file of the entire set of rules. Here are the fish list special notes:

SPECIAL NOTES:

ADVANCE EAST OR WEST COAST SHOOTING DECLARATION - Each participant MUST declare where they will be hunting for BOTH days at the time of registration because of the disparity of species closures around the region. You may change your choice of East or West Coast Declaration up until 11 pm on the date of the optional Captain's meeting which is Thursday, July 19, 2012 via e-mail notification to enter@bellsouth.net and with the receipt of a response via e-mail.

You must print out the e-mail response and bring it to the weigh-in for presentation to the weigh master in order for your shooting declaration change to be accepted. See Geographical Issues below which states you may not hunt in the Bahamas or any other foreign country.

GROUPER CATEGORY - Species of legal Grouper eligible for this category might include Black Grouper, Gag Grouper, Yellowfin Grouper, Yellowmouth Grouper, Warsaw Grouper, etc. as long as they are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. The Florida single-day possession rules at the weigh-in location at Riviera Beach apply. For example, you may weigh in only one black or gag grouper.

SNAPPER CATEGORY - Species of legal snappers eligible for this category might include Cubera Snapper, Dog Snapper, Mutton Snapper, etc.

COBIA OR JACK CATEGORY - Only one cobia or jack is allowed. Species of legal jacks eligible for this category might include Amberjack, Yellow Jack, Almaco Jack, etc. that are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. Because Amberjack is closed in the Gulf at the time of the tournament, we will allow (for this year only) the optional weigh-in of a barracuda in this category for West Coast registered shooters only.

WILD CARD CATEGORY This category is designed to level the playing field due to grouper and snapper closures in various regions. Your wild card fish can be a barracuda or any fish now eligible in the above categories except you may weigh in only one gag grouper or black grouper total in order to comply with the East Coast possession limit where the weigh-in is located.

West Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of two barracuda that can be weighed in for all categories and East Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of one barracuda as the Wild Card Fish. Contestants who weigh in barracuda have the option of donating these fish to scientists who will use them for fisheries research.

Therefore, you may still bring in nine fish as in the past and the maximum potential points will remain the same (9 x 20 = 180 points).

Note: fish measurement is based on the current measurement to fork or overall as required by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission no matter where the fish was harvested. Cobia, Jacks and Hogfish are measured to the fork. The weighmaster has the final say on all fish being weighed.

Some good resources for current recreational regulations are the following websites:

http://myfwc.com/media/2075522/saltw...ions_chart.pdf

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/fishing_r...ns_Matrix.html

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/R...8/Default.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big-Bang-2012-Rules---DRAFT-VERSION-6-1-12_Page_2.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	173160  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Big Bang 2012 Rules - DRAFT VERSION 6-1-12.pdf (45.9 KB, 199 views)
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
dive4bugz
Registered User
 
dive4bugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 835
Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Great job Tony!! I would also like to point out the obvious, in that when you register as to which side you are shooting, it is a declaration for BOTH days... you cannot shoot East coast one day and West coast the 2nd day. Team Dumpster Diver is looking forward to showing you all how its, done, so LET THE SMACK TALK COMMENCE!! Lol
__________________
See that? Steady as a rock... but THIS is my shootin' hand!!
dive4bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator
 
SpearMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 16,402
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Yeah Randy - navigating the various closures these days has become very challenging for any tournament operation.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Slusher11
Blacktip Spearguns
 
Slusher11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hobe Sound ,Fl
Posts: 553
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Here attached are the official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open in draft form. This is a PDF version attached to make it easy if you wish to print them out. Keep in mind though that these are not the final rules yet.

Once again a few species are closed on the west coast of Florida at the time of the tournament - namely Amberjack and Triggerfish.

As worked well last year, our weighmaster Randy and I made adjustments for the Amberjack with the allowance of one barracuda (in addition to the wild card) for west coast shooters. Any of the barracuda brought in can be donated to the shark scientists and is greatly appreciated by them.

I stated these rules are in draft form because I would like some feedback on the triggerfish closure. Randy and I thought it would not make any sense to allow a barracuda in that category due to the typical significant weight difference between those two species. Keep in mind our 20 points (pounds) maximum points for aggregate scoring.

What we are proposing to do for this year is eliminate Triggerfish from the fish list below for both coasts and in its place add Porgy. Therefore, you could weigh in two sheepsheads, two porgies or one sheepshead and one porgy.

The tournament has strived from its inception to provide as much of a level playing field as possible for all regions in which contestants are shooting.



Please review the attached PDF file of the entire set of rules. Here are the fish list special notes:

SPECIAL NOTES:

ADVANCE EAST OR WEST COAST SHOOTING DECLARATION - Each participant MUST declare where they will be hunting for BOTH days at the time of registration because of the disparity of species closures around the region. You may change your choice of East or West Coast Declaration up until 11 pm on the date of the optional Captain's meeting which is Thursday, July 19, 2012 via e-mail notification to enter@bellsouth.net and with the receipt of a response via e-mail.

You must print out the e-mail response and bring it to the weigh-in for presentation to the weigh master in order for your shooting declaration change to be accepted. See Geographical Issues below which states you may not hunt in the Bahamas or any other foreign country.

GROUPER CATEGORY - Species of legal Grouper eligible for this category might include Black Grouper, Gag Grouper, Yellowfin Grouper, Yellowmouth Grouper, Warsaw Grouper, etc. as long as they are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. The Florida single-day possession rules at the weigh-in location at Riviera Beach apply. For example, you may weigh in only one black or gag grouper.

SNAPPER CATEGORY - Species of legal snappers eligible for this category might include Cubera Snapper, Dog Snapper, Mutton Snapper, etc.

COBIA OR JACK CATEGORY - Only one cobia or jack is allowed. Species of legal jacks eligible for this category might include Amberjack, Yellow Jack, Almaco Jack, etc. that are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. Because Amberjack is closed in the Gulf at the time of the tournament, we will allow (for this year only) the optional weigh-in of a barracuda in this category for West Coast registered shooters only.

WILD CARD CATEGORY This category is designed to level the playing field due to grouper and snapper closures in various regions. Your wild card fish can be a barracuda or any fish now eligible in the above categories except you may weigh in only one gag grouper or black grouper total in order to comply with the East Coast possession limit where the weigh-in is located.

West Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of two barracuda that can be weighed in for all categories and East Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of one barracuda as the Wild Card Fish. Contestants who weigh in barracuda have the option of donating these fish to scientists who will use them for fisheries research.

Therefore, you may still bring in nine fish as in the past and the maximum potential points will remain the same (9 x 20 = 180 points).

Note: fish measurement is based on the current measurement to fork or overall as required by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission no matter where the fish was harvested. Cobia, Jacks and Hogfish are measured to the fork. The weighmaster has the final say on all fish being weighed.

Some good resources for current recreational regulations are the following websites:

http://myfwc.com/media/2075522/saltw...ions_chart.pdf

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/fishing_r...ns_Matrix.html

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/R...8/Default.aspx
Great when and where can we sign up this year??
Thanks
Slusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
SpearMax
Forum Administrator
 
SpearMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 16,402
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

The Big Bang opens registratiion on big bang day July 4 as was done last year. Thanks for your interest.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
FreedivinFool
Dane
 
FreedivinFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boynton Beach/St. Pete,FL
Age: 26
Posts: 703
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Sounds like a good replacement to triggerfish. Can't wait for this year!
__________________
When preparation meets opportunity it's called luck!!!

www.youtube.com/spearriffe
FreedivinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Chiung
Registered Shooter
 
Chiung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 924
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Why not add porgy instead of replacing triggers?
Chiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
dive4bugz
Registered User
 
dive4bugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 835
Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Tony,it has been mentioned to me that some shooters have never targetted Porgy, and feel that we should consider adding Porgy but not removing Triggers. I would encourage the members of the spearboard community to weigh (pun intended!) in on this issue as there are several different species of Porgy to harvest.
__________________
See that? Steady as a rock... but THIS is my shootin' hand!!
dive4bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Slingingsteel
Registered User
 
Slingingsteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Homestead, Fl.
Age: 27
Posts: 2,013
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Here attached are the official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open in draft form. This is a PDF version attached to make it easy if you wish to print them out. Keep in mind though that these are not the final rules yet.

Once again a few species are closed on the west coast of Florida at the time of the tournament - namely Amberjack and Triggerfish.

As worked well last year, our weighmaster Randy and I made adjustments for the Amberjack with the allowance of one barracuda (in addition to the wild card) for west coast shooters. Any of the barracuda brought in can be donated to the shark scientists and is greatly appreciated by them.

I stated these rules are in draft form because I would like some feedback on the triggerfish closure. Randy and I thought it would not make any sense to allow a barracuda in that category due to the typical significant weight difference between those two species. Keep in mind our 20 points (pounds) maximum points for aggregate scoring.

What we are proposing to do for this year is eliminate Triggerfish from the fish list below for both coasts and in its place add Porgy. Therefore, you could weigh in two sheepsheads, two porgies or one sheepshead and one porgy.

The tournament has strived from its inception to provide as much of a level playing field as possible for all regions in which contestants are shooting.



Please review the attached PDF file of the entire set of rules. Here are the fish list special notes:

SPECIAL NOTES:

ADVANCE EAST OR WEST COAST SHOOTING DECLARATION - Each participant MUST declare where they will be hunting for BOTH days at the time of registration because of the disparity of species closures around the region. You may change your choice of East or West Coast Declaration up until 11 pm on the date of the optional Captain's meeting which is Thursday, July 19, 2012 via e-mail notification to enter@bellsouth.net and with the receipt of a response via e-mail.

You must print out the e-mail response and bring it to the weigh-in for presentation to the weigh master in order for your shooting declaration change to be accepted. See Geographical Issues below which states you may not hunt in the Bahamas or any other foreign country.

GROUPER CATEGORY - Species of legal Grouper eligible for this category might include Black Grouper, Gag Grouper, Yellowfin Grouper, Yellowmouth Grouper, Warsaw Grouper, etc. as long as they are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. The Florida single-day possession rules at the weigh-in location at Riviera Beach apply. For example, you may weigh in only one black or gag grouper.

SNAPPER CATEGORY - Species of legal snappers eligible for this category might include Cubera Snapper, Dog Snapper, Mutton Snapper, etc.

COBIA OR JACK CATEGORY - Only one cobia or jack is allowed. Species of legal jacks eligible for this category might include Amberjack, Yellow Jack, Almaco Jack, etc. that are legal to harvest in federal or state waters where you are hunting. Because Amberjack is closed in the Gulf at the time of the tournament, we will allow (for this year only) the optional weigh-in of a barracuda in this category for West Coast registered shooters only.

WILD CARD CATEGORY This category is designed to level the playing field due to grouper and snapper closures in various regions. Your wild card fish can be a barracuda or any fish now eligible in the above categories except you may weigh in only one gag grouper or black grouper total in order to comply with the East Coast possession limit where the weigh-in is located.

West Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of two barracuda that can be weighed in for all categories and East Coast Registered Shooters have a maximum number of one barracuda as the Wild Card Fish. Contestants who weigh in barracuda have the option of donating these fish to scientists who will use them for fisheries research.

Therefore, you may still bring in nine fish as in the past and the maximum potential points will remain the same (9 x 20 = 180 points).

Note: fish measurement is based on the current measurement to fork or overall as required by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission no matter where the fish was harvested. Cobia, Jacks and Hogfish are measured to the fork. The weighmaster has the final say on all fish being weighed.

Some good resources for current recreational regulations are the following websites:

http://myfwc.com/media/2075522/saltw...ions_chart.pdf

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/fishing_r...ns_Matrix.html

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/R...8/Default.aspx



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiung View Post
Why not add porgy instead of replacing triggers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive4bugz View Post
Tony,it has been mentioned to me that some shooters have never targetted Porgy, and feel that we should consider adding Porgy but not removing Triggers.
Tony, Looking forward to yet another great turnout and can't wait for registration. Although, I have to agree with the above two statements. I feel that Porgy is not an equivalent/justifiable replacement species to Triggerfish due to the significant differences. If you think about it, there really isn't one. So by replacing in lieu of adding would be defeating the origonal purpose in the first place, Leveling the playing fields.

Sheepshead + Porgy/triggerfish (2 fish total) sounds more feasable/fair for everyone.
Slingingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Wile E. Coyote
Registered User
 
Wile E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 725
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Or maybe those blue colored fish would work!
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Slusher11
Blacktip Spearguns
 
Slusher11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hobe Sound ,Fl
Posts: 553
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingingsteel View Post
tony, looking forward to yet another great turnout and can't wait for registration. Although, i have to agree with the above two statements. I feel that porgy is not an equivalent/justifiable replacement species to triggerfish due to the significant differences. If you think about it, there really isn't one. So by replacing in lieu of adding would be defeating the origonal purpose in the first place, leveling the playing fields.

Sheepshead + porgy/triggerfish (2 fish total) sounds more feasable/fair for everyone.
x2
Slusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
afogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

How about lionfish? total weight on as many as you can get?
afogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
dive4bugz
Registered User
 
dive4bugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 835
Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Afogg, while Tony and I did discuss Lionfish, we decided against adding them to the tournament due to the inherent risk involved... both in harvesting and in weighing.
__________________
See that? Steady as a rock... but THIS is my shootin' hand!!
dive4bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
afogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive4bugz View Post
Afogg, while Tony and I did discuss Lionfish, we decided against adding them to the tournament due to the inherent risk involved... both in harvesting and in weighing.
Just thought id see haha, good luck with the tournament!
afogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Slusher11
Blacktip Spearguns
 
Slusher11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hobe Sound ,Fl
Posts: 553
Re: DRAFT official rules for the 2012 Big Bang Open - Please Read - No Triggerfish

Where can we sign up at??
Thanks
Slusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com