Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: Mu pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschland Spearo View Post
I haven't seen or heard of anything like that, is it too late to get it printed/gyotaku?

These two were done by my buddy Riley Yogi on Oahu.
Aloha!
Chad
if I was going to get it done gyutaku id of brought it home whole to ken okutake but im going to tahiti before i go back home so that isnt happening lol
it was 9.1#, kind of sad I didnt do anything with it besides eat the incredible meat 3 ways. Best damn sashimi on the planet i swear...
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Stoked as a mofo on this stupid fish, like more stoked on this fish than anything i've ever shot before LOL
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
Behslayer

That's a Nice Mu. Delicious eating, and a good challenge to get a Nice Mu like that. That was my primary target for a long time, that and their Shy cousin. Mu are tough to get, I always thought the Yellow Lipped Long Nose Emperor was a very challenging fish to coerce back to the dinner table, but, not much can top the taste of Mu cooked up in Coconut Oil. One trick with those Mu is to get them in your hands as fast as possible. When I shoot a nice Mu, I am swimming at that thing as soon as I've fired. They have an amazing ability to free themselves from a spear, and the sharks just love those things.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
That's a Nice Mu. Delicious eating, and a good challenge to get a Nice Mu like that. That was my primary target for a long time, that and their Shy cousin. Mu are tough to get, I always thought the Yellow Lipped Long Nose Emperor was a very challenging fish to coerce back to the dinner table, but, not much can top the taste of Mu cooked up in Coconut Oil. One trick with those Mu is to get them in your hands as fast as possible. When I shoot a nice Mu, I am swimming at that thing as soon as I've fired. They have an amazing ability to free themselves from a spear, and the sharks just love those things.
I almost ALMOST lost it too, if i hadnt of thrown the gun and charged him with my last few seconds of air immediately after pulling the trigger I would have lost him. he had somehow managed to shake the flopper closed. Gabbed the shaft as the last inch or so of the shaft point was still in him and shoved the shaft and fish into the air from below all on the same dive.
I was legit scraming like a girl when i stuck the knife in him hahaha
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Birdman

Yard sale josh, how do you afford to travel so much at such a young age? I'm just jealous
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^^ funny you should ask...we all know kyle doesnt work, word Has it, he sells his ass on the streets of cali for rent money. and trades dead fish for gas.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
Behslayer

shadows.. another trick is that those kind of fish have paths they like to travel. If you can put together a few sightings (usually you will not even see them unless you've been hanging around the bottom for a bit.) you can establish their path. Then you can look for an ambush spot along this path where they won't see you if they are moving along the path. Once you get a good one in one spot, you can usually get others in the same spot over time. We had a fictional Uluwatu Spearfishing Badge.. you could get it by catching 3 nice Mu in a dive or 2 Long Nosed Yellow Lips, or 1 Beast of a Long Nosed Yellow Lip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Longnose-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	208777  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #23
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
shadows.. another trick is that those kind of fish have paths they like to travel. If you can put together a few sightings (usually you will not even see them unless you've been hanging around the bottom for a bit.) you can establish their path. Then you can look for an ambush spot along this path where they won't see you if they are moving along the path. Once you get a good one in one spot, you can usually get others in the same spot over time. We had a fictional Uluwatu Spearfishing Badge.. you could get it by catching 3 nice Mu in a dive or 2 Long Nosed Yellow Lips, or 1 Beast of a Long Nosed Yellow Lip.
Dude i saw those long nose emperors in the cook islands
those are the smartest fish i've ever found anywhere. They make mu look retarded lol
I couldnt get any of them to come within 50ft of me no matter what i did
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Yard sale josh, how do you afford to travel so much at such a young age? I'm just jealous
I've got no bills at all. Pretty much all I gotta pay fr is gas and food and my dive gear is free, I dump every penny I have into going on baja trips and i dont have a job till september
The girlfriend is paying for this entire hawaii/tahiti excursion. I didnt even really want to go to hawaii at all... diving is too rough over here, very few good fish left and the ones that are, are smart as ****. Hopefully tahiti is good...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
Birdman

Keep up the good work.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #26
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Stoked as a mofo on this stupid fish, like more stoked on this fish than anything i've ever shot before LOL
Damn, thats a toad of a Mu, congrats Kyle. Definitely print worthy man...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #27
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschland Spearo View Post
Damn, thats a toad of a Mu, congrats Kyle. Definitely print worthy man...
wanted to eat him too bad for that stuff lol
ah yes, the glorious taste of victory

finally getting out tomorrow for my first non solo dive here on kauai, cant wait to be able to dive hard and swim further! I want one in the double digits now...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
wanted to eat him too bad for that stuff lol
ah yes, the glorious taste of victory

finally getting out tomorrow for my first non solo dive here on kauai, cant wait to be able to dive hard and swim further! I want one in the double digits now...
“Victoribus Spolia"!, "To the victor goes the spoils"
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
Behslayer

Another trick with them Mu is to try to find them a bit shallower.. they like waves. Then you can stay down a lot longer and play with the Surge bringing them in a little closer. I used to do all kinds of stuff to get them.. shoot a squid and put it on your Spear tip.. Crush up a whole bunch of crabs... probably 95% of the Mu I ever got, I took while hiding under an overhang looking out. They're very Eye conscious. The best trick of them all is the Lipstick.. Put it on thick, Red. like theirs. That's how you get the BIG ones.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

the only thing about finding them shallow here in hawaii is that the shallow ones are smarter than the ones out deeper. Theres droves of divers who will hit stuff 10-30ft here but once you get to 40-50 that number goes down a whole lot