Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
mikelb

Free Trip On The Thunderbird?

Anybody familiar with how the divers got separated?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Re: Free Trip On The Thunderbird?

I wonder what plan B was..
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

Link or explanation for those of us who dont know the reference?
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Having just dove around that area yesterday (not sure exactly where it was this event took place, but assume they were in outside pyramid area) , we noticed some ripping currents in certain spots (always be confident that you can make it back to your boat or leave someone on it).

Stuff happens, but it appears to me that they were diving with an anchored boat and couldn't get back to it. Id be interested to hear what happened.

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
mikelb

"Three" is the magic number. When needed, one guy on fish, one guy back-up, and one guy on boat. Lots of variables but three free divers is a good number when out on a boat. Near shore/kelp diving current is not usually an issue but it happens. I've let out 150' of tag line from the boat to help my partner or others get back to the boat more than once. I've swam many a time across the current or toward shore until I get out of current or spot where I can kick back and yes, that includes the possibility of walking the shore to an entry point where I can get back to the boat.

I know of one very experienced diver who used his boat as a float (connected float line to boat) and drifted yt spots. Be aware. Best, Mike.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Current is great for yellowtail. I’ve done all of the above, including live boating kelp paddys and breezers solo. Somehow I survived, but after a few close calls those days are behind me. I definitely agree with three.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
mikelb

Breezers and paddies solo!?! Like I always say "this sport doesn't make guys like this, it attracts them."
Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelb View Post
Breezers and paddies solo!?! Like I always say "this sport doesn't make guys like this, it attracts them."
You may be surprised to know how many well known divers do this...diving alone has its risks.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #9
Bob Ballew

...Many of us dive alone at times and I still do...Most of us commercial ab/urchin divers dove alone (5 years for me) and most experienced free divers take off on their own, as it is a competitive sport with each wanting to get the big fish first...Hell, if Al Schneppershoff or Bob Stanbery got in the water first and took off alone, I was s.o.l...They would quickly get on a fish while I was swimming in their wake...Most incidents happen quick and you alone, have to get yourself out of it...Mistakes you survive are how most of us old school guys became experienced divers..
...At San Clemente island, on a great vis day, I ventured out into deep water watching turtles, black sea bass and yellowtail... The current came up fast, sweeping me out and away from the island....By kicking hard and angling across the current, I barely made the end of the island and had to walk/belly flop 2 miles in the shallows to get back to our boat...On top of that, I saw large killer whale size fins cutting the surface directly toward me...I braced myself for a faceoff and was greatly relieved to encounter a pod of 8 pilot whales that dropped down, passing 10' below me. A baby whale in the middle turned on it's side to get a closer look at me and a once dangerous situation turned into a memorable event I still treasure.
...Another spot that has caused me grief more than once, is Ship Rock; where the current can pull you, not only out, but, down also...While diving alone is not recommended, it is the lack of experience and exceeding your limits, that gets divers killed more so than the alone part. Just my opinion, based on the ocean trying to do me in, on many an occasion...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
carrasco

Diving Ship Rock with someone tending the boat for you makes for an awesome dive; get dropped off up-current and shoot fish at your hearts content. That’s why I stay friends with and invite an H&L guy or two on my Catalina or offshore trips!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote