Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Spearooo

Re: Inside the Gulf Council

What would make me happiest is

IF the kneejerk reaction to a supposed dismal outlook, would be:

Lets close all commercial harvest, WITHOUT eliminating the recreational fishery....

Now that makes way to much sense.... never going to happen
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Capt.Gene

I want to join your fan club.
There should be no commercial harvest at the expense of closure to recreational anglers.
Why should the commercial fishing fleet be allowed to catch fish in wholesale numbers when the recreational angler, who fuels the economy, is prevented from fishing?
Sustainable catch numbers should be determined, and anything remaining after the recreational take should be tagged out to highest commercial bidder.
It's like we are in old England and all the game in the forest belongs to the Crown.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
Capt.Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearooo View Post
What would make me happiest is

IF the kneejerk reaction to a supposed dismal outlook, would be:

Lets close all commercial harvest, WITHOUT eliminating the recreational fishery....

Now that makes way to much sense.... never going to happen
Use some money from recreational fishing license sales to buy those boats and ready them for a reef building sinking
Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
Thanks Don for this enlightening post. Better than I ever could have said it.
Hey Len, if the council has NEVER listened to anyone at the past 10 years of Gulf Council public input meetings, or NEVER accepted info or data from anyone willing to offer it, what makes you think that this person, hired by the NMFS, will help them listen to our concerns?

It's common knowledge that you, Demaria, and Parks are all "yes men" of the NMFS, so please, give us a break. I prefer an approach to sustainability based on valid data and sound science, not massaged numerical methods based on reported commercial landings compared to 1950's data as a baseline. If real science were to be implemented, and then indicate that severe overfishing was occurring, then I would support bag limit reductions and/or closures pending the severity of the situation (not a binary decision aka..knee-jerk reaction endorsed by the reauthorized Magnuson-stevens act of 2006).

Sometimes I think her job position may have been created just to keep people like Tony from calling Crabtree directly. Kind of like a "spearing/fishing rights filter"...let's hire one person and let them waste her time so we can get our agenda on.

Last edited by inletsurf; 08-15-2010 at 04:31 PM.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Spearooo

During the months of this new closure, I would even be happy be happy with:
No commercial sale of grouper in the Country (what good is a ban on fishing them if the markets and restaurants are still selling them on the shelves and on the plate, like nothing DURING the closure.

And for the recs two groupers larger than 26 inches, once a week per boat! with some effort to collect accurate unbias data, using the recs!! during the closure.

SOME SORT OF COMPROMISE THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE STEPPING ALL OVER THE RECREATIONAL SECTOR

This would certainly at least leave a glimmer of hope for the billions to all sorts of local industry, recreational bottom fishing.

This new hire, is proof that the writing is on the wall.. State reps and legislator's may have finally be waking up, doing their duty and asserting themselves on these clowns, glad to know, letter writing hasn't been in vain

Keep up the good work guys
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland Key View Post
jfjf:

I agree with your post above. This is the first time that someone from the Gulf Council, or their staff, has actually reached out to the spearfishing community. Emily seems sincere, and I think we should not only give her the benifit of the doubt, but make an attempt to work with her.
Although I agree with your general statement, I still have to question the motive behind her superiors. Let me be clear that I think she is genuinely interested in her job position, but is naive in regards to the level of difficulty her job position will really bring, as well as the true motives underlying her superiors. I hope she can make a positive impact for both sides of the controversy, but I feel that her position is more of "vaseline" for us recreational spearfishermen and anglers. Basically calming the anxiety before the NMFS stick it to us. My suspicion is that her position is the "lesson learned" from this latest round of NMFS' bad publicity from the east coast amendment 17 red snapper and wide area closure debacle. They are preparing to hit the gulf coast with the same regarding grouper, then red snapper, and I think her position is intended as a distraction and filtering point benefiting the NMFS managers. I may be wrong but time will certainly tell.

We have 10+ years of public input meetings, all with recorded statements from the public with audio or videotape and names and addresses. Has she listened to any of them? Why not start there and call up every person who has made a statement for a phone survey? Or is it that 10+ years of public input meetings are worthless to the NMFS?
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Gandy Girl,

I'll give you one tip, ya wanna know how to tell when a Gulf Council member is lying? They're lips are moving.

They are gonna try to buddy up to you and tell you it is in the fisheries best interest to screw the recreational fishermen, all the while allowing more of a percentage of commercial harvest and those same Gulf Council members will also own some type of fish house or commercial fishing operation.

I could start naming names but this list would include just about every Gulf Council member. All these people do is make regulations to serve their own best interest.

As for me, I'll stick with the FRA and continue my Washing DC campaign, in an attempt to de-job every Gulf Council member that has F'ked the recreational fisherman over the last 20 years.

I have been slapped, I fully intend to slap back......

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
makomaster
sb's most hated

wolf in sheeps clothing
makomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #24
POL
Displaced Person

double post, sorry

Last edited by POL; 08-16-2010 at 01:20 AM.
POL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
POL
Displaced Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I would not call this lady's self introduction SPAM .

I do think that her presence here should serve as a pretty strong reminder that we need to be conservative with the material that we post on this board. After all, a government agency IS watching, this board (and others).

I doubt she can do much about past history; I see no reason why we should not welcome the apparent attempt by a governental agency to use this forum to solicit feedback and input, especially from members that posses a wealth of personal knowledge and historical persepective.
I didn't mean this in a negative way. But I seriously doubt it that any ground braking will be done on SB. And the post above is an advertisement for a blog that will be run on her terms.

I do agree that the government and also some special interest groups are watching this board, and I do think that any posts we make should reflect the spirit of spearfishing.

BTW, I did read the job description as it was given to her by the council. And it says nothing about soliciting input from the public. It does say that we should get involved, (to me all it means is that the council wants our support) and it does say that the council wants to educate us. But I honestly failed to see where the job description says anything about the council wanting or needing our input. For all I know the motive for this new position is a response to today's instant media and our ability to make anything public that we feel is unfair that the council is doing.
Sorry, but the job description seems a bit one sided. Its clear that GandyGirl has to be aware and current on the goals and decisions of the council, But I did not see anything where she is responsible to solicit or understand our views. All its saying is how the council will attempt to make us see things their way.

Still a good start.

POL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #26
Summerland Key

The Gulf Council, and NMFS, are certainly not perfect agencies. Unfortunately, they are the only rule making agencies we have in federal waters and they have to be dealt with.
If you don't become involved and work with them, you can be assurred that someone else will, like the bottom longline fleet.

There is a new executive director at the Gulf Council, that seems to be a reasonable guy, and many new council members. Now may be the time to become more involved.
If you don't, it will be the long liners, shrimping interests, etc. that will speak for you.
your choice. Don

Last edited by Summerland Key; 08-16-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #27
Capt.Offshore

IMHO, the only way you can change the public's attitude to the Gulf Council is to fire everyone on it and start over, with people that know our waters, fishermen/divers. Make all sectors equal, because God put the fish in the Gulf for everyone, not just a select few.

I agree with Rok Out on this one . . . . I must also add this to ALL career politicians ! Do away with the breed and start over from scratch !

Gulf Council & NMFS . . . .

Capt.Offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
Spearooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Offshore View Post
IMHO, the only way you can change the public's attitude to the Gulf Council is to fire everyone on it and start over, with people that know our waters, fishermen/divers. Make all sectors equal, because God put the fish in the Gulf for everyone, not just a select few.

Rok out

I agree with Rok Out on this one . . . . I must also add this to ALL career politicians ! Do away with the breed and start over from scratch !

Gulf Council & NMFS . . . .

Bump for a thread that seems pertinent.

This has all been going on much longer than we all realize.

Election time is nearing and the collective wrath of outdoorsman and all the business they support needs to reach a tiping point.
Let's make this next cycle the time when that happens!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #29
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

if recreational divers and fisherman want any say whatsoever they better get together and hire some lobbyists. otherwise all the whining, voting, and letter writing in the world won't do a damn thing
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #30
sfmill
checkthewater

Hate to say it but that may help? Look what the NRA does for gun owners.
I asked a council member the other day [ why not close the season in june and let the red snapper lay there eggs instead of millions of pounds of red snapper getting killed before they row out??.

His response was ( it would not be economically viable ). Meaning it doesn't matter if its better for the red snapper and would help increase the already insane population of the fish. And would allow us to harvest them 6 months out of the year.
He also said there is no sense having a season in the winter because they don't move near shore in the winter.???
Feb. 9 2014. I took this video

the last red snapper - YouTube
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote