Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
mallardtone-man

Changing line release pathos laser open

If I change my line release to the right side of the gun is there any reason why I couldnt still load with the front pin on the right and muzzle slot on the left, or would I be better off routing a slot in the right side and switching the front pin to the left? I am planning on loading it with 2 wraps and a mako reel.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Re: Changing line release pathos laser open

No need to change pin.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I guess it could depend on the handle. On my d'Angelo 1 handle, I put in a slightly longer pin as it was tricky to get two wraps on the original pin.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
spearq8

On a D1 you only have one groove for the pin line release (left side), on the D2 you have a groove on both sides. So on the D2 you could switch line release sides but the D1 you would need to modify the handle and route a groove for the pin. On the Pathos muzzles the line over shaft pin is on the right side, which is opposite side of the default line release. Usually that is preferable as it allows a better line over shaft setup. With a Pathos Sniper, the enclosed track eliminates the need for line over shaft and you just wrap the line in one of the grooves in the muzzle.

Can you go with a line release on the same side as the muzzle pin? … probably yes … but the chances of a line tangle are probably higher.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
mallardtone-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
On a D1 you only have one groove for the pin line release (left side), on the D2 you have a groove on both sides. So on the D2 you could switch line release sides but the D1 you would need to modify the handle and route a groove for the pin. On the Pathos muzzles the line over shaft pin is on the right side, which is opposite side of the default line release. Usually that is preferable as it allows a better line over shaft setup. With a Pathos Sniper, the enclosed track eliminates the need for line over shaft and you just wrap the line in one of the grooves in the muzzle.

Can you go with a line release on the same side as the muzzle pin? … probably yes … but the chances of a line tangle are probably higher.
Ok good to know, I have the DI so I will go ahead and switch it then. I am not looking to get this gun setup only to potentially have frustrating tangles to deal with.