Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Co2 headaches on SCUBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Hydration may be a factor, but I do try my best to stay hydrated the day prior and the day of
Unless you are getting bad air fills or have a sinus/ear issue, hydration is the likely culprit. The next time you plan to dive, on the morning of the day before your dive start drinking 12 to 16 oz of water every 2 hours or so. This will likely make you pee quite often and your urine should be clear by later in the afternoon. When you are well hydrated your urine will be as clear as water. Cut back on water around 7:00 pm so you don’t have your sleep interrupted by having to get up to pee at night.

When u wake up start drinking water again and continue the 12 to 16 oz of water throughout the day. You may also want to take 2 Tylenol every 4 hours on dive day just as a backup. If you have no headaches or much less severe headaches on your next trip.......you know you are on the right track on eliminating your headaches.

PS, make sure to eat a good breakfast as well. Low fat food like oatmeal, whole wheat toast, yogurt, etc.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 02-23-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Thanks everyone for the input, it seems maybe hydration is playing into it. I believe there's something else as well, one of the reasons I switched to freediving a few years ago. I almost exclusively use nitrox up to 36%. Oddly enough my deepest air dive to 185ft I was stringing up fish at my deco around 100ft and had no headache after
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Another thing I used to do was pop a couple Motrin prior to the dive
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

In a healthy body CO2 is completely dependent on breating rate and volume. It does not build up in tissues like nitrogen can. Air vs Nitrox the CO2 levels are both a nonfactor. Your body makes far more CO2 than you could ever get in a scuba tank. So high CO2 comes from your body not from your breathing gas. Freediving CO2 levels definitely rise while breath holding, so if you have no headaches freediving then it is likely not CO2 and more likely just a symptom of nitrogen build up and release. I would reccomend simply taking aspirin/ ibuprofen the morning before diving. This works for me unless I do 3-4 dives and then i add some caffeine towards the end of the day. As others have mentioned, hydration is important as well as a deep stop.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
jfjf

Free diving is very different than scuba diving with respect to co2 headaches. There is no comparison. I don’t really understand why.

Maybe the high pp of oxygen at depth for extended period allows a scuba diver to skip breath and withstand co2 elevation for extended periods.

To say that if free diving does not give you headaches then the headaches you get from scuba are not co2 related - does make intuitive sense, but it is incorrect—wish I understood why.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #21
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Good point Jim, the majority of my post was aimed at the fact that the CO2 in your tanks is negligible compared to the CO2 you body constantly makes, and thus nitrox vs air is not a factor. Freedivers train their body to become accustomed to CO2 but if you decrease your respirations while on scuba you can easily surpass your CO2 levels that you have become accustomed to while freediving.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #22
OWS

In most cases the headaches come from shallow breathing. I always recommend a deep exhalation, that way you will get a complete exchange of air. So many new scuba divers learn to shallow breathe trying to make their air last longer. As they advance in skills and depth they don't relearn their breathing methods and that is where the headaches develop. Always try deep
exhalation then you will inhale properly!
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #23
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

I’ve came to the conclusion that my regulator feels heavy which causes me to bite down harder on it to keep it in my mouth. Any tips to avoid that feeling or setups that feel weightless?
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #24
jfjf

There are lighter weight and smaller second stages you can purchase. However, two less expensive ideas are:

Try a different mouth piece, I like the ones with a long bite tab.. they are not expensive.
Consider a light weight and flexible woven hose for your primary regulator. They make the regulator more comfortable.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regu...ded-flex-hoses

Last edited by jfjf; 03-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #25
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Iíve came to the conclusion that my regulator feels heavy which causes me to bite down harder on it to keep it in my mouth. Any tips to avoid that feeling or setups that feel weightless?
Sorry but have to laugh as I use to have the opposite problem where I would be so relaxed my reg would fall out of my mouth or I would start getting water in my mouth.

Maybe combo of different mouthpiece and or lighter second stage. Once you find a mouthpiece that works for you....buy several of them and put them in the refrigerator. Mouthpieces are like footpockets in the respect that they are definitely not the same. Lucky they are cheaper.....
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Try Seacure heat moldable mouthpiece: http://seacuremouthpiece.com/

My old mouthpiece used to rub my gums raw after one dive, and I wouldn't notice it happening...
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #27
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Have been using these for a couple years. Love the product. I was a little concerned about the reliability of two additional fail points but they've been rock solid so far. It def reduces jaw fatigue and once you try it, you won't go back to a standard hose. A little pricey but worth every cent IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miflex.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	237381  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj...HOLnolbCo3PlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMIgPFBW1M
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

A good breathing reg helps to cut down on CO2 more tban anything else. Less work of breathing ,less,dead space and more flow.A lot of highly touted brands suck horribly along most of their product line.As bad as the mag is I've had good luck reading the Scubadiving reg tests and buying an new cheap but high performing reg every couple years.Currently on a Tabata that breathes better than my Scubapro Mk20 G250s,no surprise as they make SPs.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Have been using these for a couple years.....
Cool, never even thought that a flexible-er hose existed. That would be nice!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
FredT

The light second stage with suitable flexibility is part of the answer. A SeaCure or similar moldable dentition mouthpiece helps a lot with reg retention as the unitlocks onto our teeth so no jaw muscles are required to retain the reg.
As far as CO2 goes the easy test is to do a 1 or 2 minute stop at half your max depth breathing deeply (assuming you have enough breathe gas du jour of course) before continuing up. If you have been skip breathing as many hunters do this give the body a chance to blow off the CO2 while you still have an elevated PP O2 in the gas. When diving rigs we would often stop at the first cross member set below the waterline to gut our fish. This both kept the boat cleaner and decreased headaches.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote