Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
diveincanada

Re: What do you eat before spearfishing to keep energy level up?

If I'm gonna go out for a long day, I do need to eat properly in the morning mainly because I don't like to eat while I'm at sea.
If the sea is rough and I take in to much water & food, I don't feel to good.
So I'll usually have some eggs, bread and peanut butter and an espresso.
While on the boat, I take 1 or 2 energy gels(the kind I use when I'm cycling) to carry me trough the day. They provide energy and sodium. I use gels without caffeine when diving. Once I'm done diving, I quickly grab a beer and chips =)
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Thanks for contributing with your educated reply!
Lighten up Frances, that emoji is used to state he agrees with you. I understand though as I am a little edgy on the Keto train.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #18
renepotvin

Nothing if possible.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #19
sealark

Baloney and egg sandwich with olive oil mayo on whole weat and plenty of water. We take one extra BE for when heading home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #20
Behslayer

All these guys who are saying nothing are crazy, or diving differently from the way we do here in Hawaii. If you are going to be making 25+ drops 80-100'+ and waiting on the bottom you need to eat before. More than a few times I've missed fish because I simply didn't have enough energy to dive at my best. My friends who are very good divers, 3-4 minute bottom times at 100'+ swear by eggs and toast. I'm not so picky, yesterday I pounded a few Sweet Bread Rolls. Oatmeal is good, If I have some granola bars etc. I'll eat like 6. Rice and Seaweed is good.. I always thought coconut was a good long lasting energy booster. I drink Coffee in the am, so it's important to have something else in your stomach especially if you are going out on a boat and it may be rough, and generally just to help out a little with the acid. The other thing I'll do is to Camel up. I'll Stuffff myself with Water before I get in for a shoredive. If I'm on a boat, and I'll drink up some Gatorade between spots. The other thing I've learned is that when I go diving I usually spend hours in the water doing lots of drops and when I get out my blood sugar is Very Low. It's super important for me to eat quickly after. My favorite after dive snack is Guac in a Box.. One Huge Ripe Avocado, One Big Juicy Lemon, Salt, Cumin, some Furikaki, a Bowl and a Fork..
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #21
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
All these guys who are saying nothing are crazy, or diving differently from the way we do here in Hawaii. If you are going to be making 25+ drops 80-100'+ and waiting on the bottom you need to eat before. More than a few times I've missed fish because I simply didn't have enough energy to dive at my best. My friends who are very good divers, 3-4 minute bottom times at 100'+ swear by eggs and toast. I'm not so picky, yesterday I pounded a few Sweet Bread Rolls. Oatmeal is good, If I have some granola bars etc. I'll eat like 6. Rice and Seaweed is good.. I always thought coconut was a good long lasting energy booster. I drink Coffee in the am, so it's important to have something else in your stomach especially if you are going out on a boat and it may be rough, and generally just to help out a little with the acid. The other thing I'll do is to Camel up. I'll Stuffff myself with Water before I get in for a shoredive. If I'm on a boat, and I'll drink up some Gatorade between spots. The other thing I've learned is that when I go diving I usually spend hours in the water doing lots of drops and when I get out my blood sugar is Very Low. It's super important for me to eat quickly after. My favorite after dive snack is Guac in a Box.. One Huge Ripe Avocado, One Big Juicy Lemon, Salt, Cumin, some Furikaki, a Bowl and a Fork..
What kind of fat storage do you have Beh? It might be different depending upon that. I've seen Moose in a banana hammock(The pic is no longer there, thank goodness), I think he's good to go...an excellent hydrodynamic shape that I believe could last all day w/o additional supplements.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #22
Sea_Bass

You think we are crazy, I think you are stupid or ignorant (did I just repeat myself?).
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
renepotvin

Well, I kayak one hour both ways (no powerboat) I dive 2 to 3 hours, at 80-100 feet... The longer I fast the better. Average day is about 5 hours, and I only eat when I get home, sometimes past 8. Ideally, I stop eating at 10 pm the night before and eat again at 8 pm when I dive (I don't always do this since I don't care about maximum performance all that much, not competing).

IMO Eating helps if you have an emotional response to not eating (addiction to sugar maybe?) or medical problems (sugar levels?).

Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
Behslayer

Marcus, I have very little body fat.

Rene, for that kind of diving you would benefit from eating breakfast. Try Oatmeal or Coconut. I hope you are not diving 80-100' without a buddy... seriously that is incredibly dangerous.

Spearfishing is not really like running a marathon.. It's not completely relaxing. The way we dive here you might go out on a 4-5 hour shoredive and do a whole bunch of deep drops with long breathholds and then 3 hours in you see something which requires you to be extremely athletic at peak performance or. Come home empty handed.

SeaBass. I said you were crazy, OR diving differently than we do here in Hawaii.. that doesn't make me stupid or ignorant. When was the last time you made 20 drops like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLoxlForYd4&t=56s

I'll pose the question a little differently and then maybe we'll be able to come to an understanding of who is stupid or ignorant.

If you are going to go out Shorediving, cover a few miles, deal with currents, and make 20+ drops to 100' over a few hours. Are you more likely to Blackout if you have eaten breakfast or if you haven't? For me, I've tried both ways and if I don't have something to eat I'm not going to be at my peak performance a few hours in. This makes me more tired, less effective at catching dinner, and more likely to have an incident and less likely to come home to your family. But.. this is just for the kind of diving we do here. Maybe it's way different where you are diving.

PS. here's one from yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQKFK7j-Cg
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #25
Behslayer

From the Experts and Studies at the Mayo Clinic.

"Eat a healthy breakfast. Studies suggest that eating or drinking carbohydrates before exercise can improve workout performance and may allow you to work out for a longer time or at a higher intensity. If you don't eat, you might feel sluggish or lightheaded when you exercise.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/www.mayoclinic.org › fitness › in-depth › exercise › art-20045506"

It's that last part that I'm talking about. Because being lightheaded.. is just not the right match for Deeper or more athletic Spearfishing. Essentially we are trying not to black out while still catching dinner.

It's pretty obvious to me how quickly I can adjust my blood sugar when I'm hungry and eat something. But do a little research on it. You'll find that rather than 8-10 hours..

"After eating, your blood sugar levels begin to rise within 15 to 30 minutes of eating carbohydrates"

That's what I'm trying to do.. Raise my Blood Sugar. I know by the end of the dive it's going to be low. I want to start high. Anyways. To each his own.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #26
Sea_Bass

Quote:
SeaBass. I said you were crazy, OR diving differently than we do here in Hawaii.. that doesn't make me stupid or ignorant. When was the last time you made 20 drops like this?
I never have. When I was into elitist freediving I was never as good as you, and I'm ok with that. What you are not getting is that for maximum performance in any physical/mental activity from reading to competition-grade freediving, but especially hunting, the normal human body performs best in every metric when burning fat stores instead of food stores. If you think this claim is too crazy to believe, then look into it - really do due diligence and find out for yourself. Or just take my word for it, but I'm crazy.

As mentioned by others, if you are not a normal human due to medical conditions or mental conditions (did I just repeat myself?), then do what you gotta do. But you are the exception, not the rule. And your missing out on your true power and potential. This has nothing to do with your badass freediving which I am very impressed with. If you wanted to do even better, then start hunting like your ancestors.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #27
Marcus

What if you don't have any excess fat to fuel you? Logically, I would think that fat stores would be a more ideal fuel than food in your belly that still has to be processed into what the body desires/needs. Also, your body has to work to process it fast enough for the body's demand. Then again, if you have no fat, what is going to fuel one's self? Muscle? Likely a very poor energy source.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”

Last edited by Marcus; 01-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #28
Behslayer

"Breaking down fat for energy requires relatively more oxygen than carbohydrate"

"Eliminate carbohydrate drink use. It sounds counterintuitive and goes against most conventional advice, but where fat burning rather than performance is the priority, carbohydrate drinks, which raise insulin and reduce fat oxidation, should be avoided. Studies have shown that although consuming carbohydrate drinks before endurance exercise boosts performance, the subsequent rise in blood sugar and insulin reduces the proportion of energy derived by burning fat."

"It must also be noted that training after an overnight fast may reduce your exercise capacity and may therefore only be suitable for low- to moderate- intensity exercise sessions."

SeaBass, I'm not sure you are correct. It seems there are too many variables. Each person is different, and while many studies have been done on running and cycling, Freedive Spearfishing is in many ways it's own beast.. you know the old saying, "Nothing burns more calories than Freedive Spearfsihing and Fast Axe Chopping" From what I understand about Fat Stores burning vs. Carbohydrate burning, Fat Stores burning, aside from being particular to the individual, temperature, etc. is most effected by Intensity of Workout. While it may be effective for someone who is a training endurance athlete who maintains a steady medium or slightly higher rate of their output for intensity lengthy time intervals, it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective for example as Carbohydrate burning for higher level of intensity workouts/training or spikes in intensity. Also, Fat Stores burning is most effective in a High Oxygen state. I think this is where the problem is.. Freedive spearfishing is not an Aerobic exercise. It is not like running or swimming, or land hunting.. where you can maintain @ 60-70% of your max output and breathe regularly and flood your system with O2.. which is where Fat stores burning works best. It is a completely different reaction. I think you might be leading people down a path you don't really understand here. Show me a study of Fat Burning Stores vs. Carbohydrate Burning specific to Freediving and we can compare apples to apples.. but from what I read everything points to Fat Burning Stores not being the right match to Freedive Spearfishing. My thoughts are specifically that relying on Fat Burning Stores for Freedive Spearfishing may increase the chances of SWB in deeper diving in normal humans.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #29
renepotvin

Well you'll never see an Olympians eating 12 hours before any event. My coach used to be very vigilant about not letting anyone eat anything, or drink anything with sugar. It's counter productive, that's all it is.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #30
Marcus

Quote:
"Breaking down fat for energy requires relatively more oxygen than carbohydrate"

"Eliminate carbohydrate drink use. It sounds counterintuitive and goes against most conventional advice, but where fat burning rather than performance is the priority, carbohydrate drinks, which raise insulin and reduce fat oxidation, should be avoided. Studies have shown that although consuming carbohydrate drinks before endurance exercise boosts performance, the subsequent rise in blood sugar and insulin reduces the proportion of energy derived by burning fat."

"It must also be noted that training after an overnight fast may reduce your exercise capacity and may therefore only be suitable for low- to moderate- intensity exercise sessions."

SeaBass, I'm not sure you are correct. It seems there are too many variables. Each person is different, and while many studies have been done on running and cycling, Freedive Spearfishing is in many ways it's own beast.. you know the old saying, "Nothing burns more calories than Freedive Spearfsihing and Fast Axe Chopping" From what I understand about Fat Stores burning vs. Carbohydrate burning, Fat Stores burning, aside from being particular to the individual, temperature, etc. is most effected by Intensity of Workout. While it may be effective for someone who is a training endurance athlete who maintains a steady medium or slightly higher rate of their output for intensity lengthy time intervals, it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective for example as Carbohydrate burning for higher level of intensity workouts/training or spikes in intensity. Also, Fat Stores burning is most effective in a High Oxygen state. I think this is where the problem is.. Freedive spearfishing is not an Aerobic exercise. It is not like running or swimming, or land hunting.. where you can maintain @ 60-70% of your max output and breathe regularly and flood your system with O2.. which is where Fat stores burning works best. It is a completely different reaction. I think you might be leading people down a path you don't really understand here. Show me a study of Fat Burning Stores vs. Carbohydrate Burning specific to Freediving and we can compare apples to apples.. but from what I read everything points to Fat Burning Stores not being the right match to Freedive Spearfishing. My thoughts are specifically that relying on Fat Burning Stores for Freedive Spearfishing may increase the chances of SWB in deeper diving in normal humans.
Thoughtful response.