Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?
Always 331 85.97%
Most of the time 31 8.05%
Sometimes 8 2.08%
Practically never 11 2.86%
Never 4 1.04%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #31
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
My favorite dive knife is the cheapest stainless pointed knife at the bait house. its got a razor sharp edge, comes with a sheath, and only 3.99...
Agree mine is a good carbon steel or whatever it cost $4.99. No rust. ill replace it with a knife from the baht store when Lose it
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #32
HEX
Hector F.

I'd feel uncomfortable diving without a knife. You never know when you will need to use it other than to brain a fish.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #33
jjjjeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaslayer View Post
Finally someone else who knows about this knife! These knives cut through fish skull like butter, and just about anything else that's needed. Love my fury dive knife, hell I'm going order a couple more right now just as backup!

Me three! Thought I was the only one!
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #34
Petra
Livin' the life!

Send a message via AIM to Petra

Always.

--
Follow my adventures!
oceanloveher.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Passionate. Unconventional. Independent.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
petrel

Two always: Right forearm and left calf. Also, when using cable rigging, Knipex cutters tucked up my right wetsuit sleeve.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco View Post
I carry a Rob Allen on my left inner-calf (don't know model, but its flat and flush to my thigh), and a Wenoka Squeeze Lock Titanium Knife, with a Stiletto Tip on my left forearm.
exact same knives and placement as this guy and U/C spearo

the flat rob allen is called the x-blade
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #37
sirspearsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Honestly, i like this knife: Amazon.com : Fury Tactical Extreme Dive Knife : Spearfishing : Sports & Outdoors

It's sharp, small - i wear it on my L arm, near my bicep so it doesnt get snagged on seaweed and its great for cutting and braining fish.

its also cheap so if i lose or break it, im g00d
This knife is what I use but I just lost it. Its easy to lose because the handle is very flat and I would prefer a rounder shape. I think I'll order another as a back -up but right now I'm looking at the Wenoka Titanium EZ-Lock Knife, Stiletto, or the Wenoka Titanium Squeeze Lock Knife, Stiletto as a main belt knife. Does anybody have experience with either? I'm leaning towards the squeeze.

I'm heading to the scuba store right now to get a few wrist ropes so I dont lose anymore in the future.

Last edited by sirspearsalot; 06-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.
sirspearsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #38
MonkeyChunks1

I usually carry 2 knifes, one on my person and one on my float. Shit happens when your in the kelp and a knife can save your life.
MonkeyChunks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #39
tailsurfer

A little backstory to the OP. diver Daniel shot an unsaid fish that was 43lbs at an unsaid kelp bed and the fish tied up at the outside of unsaid kelp bed in about 50ft of water on bottom. Diver Daniel NEVER dives with a knife and thinks of it as a handicap. Diver Daniel had to tear out kelp strands one buy one, on bottom at 50ft. It took several tough dives with long surface intervals to free fish safely. He was diving alone as well in late afternoon. Diver Daniel also owns knife and dive watch, but rarely ever uses them. dumb dumb diver Daniel! nuff said!

u know its true Daniel, u need to stop pushing your luck!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #40
jstiver09

No knife...alone....in thick kelp...he shouldn't have kids.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #41
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsurfer View Post
A little backstory to the OP. diver Daniel shot an unsaid fish that was 43lbs at an unsaid kelp bed and the fish tied up at the outside of unsaid kelp bed in about 50ft of water on bottom. Diver Daniel NEVER dives with a knife and thinks of it as a handicap. Diver Daniel had to tear out kelp strands one buy one, on bottom at 50ft. It took several tough dives with long surface intervals to free fish safely. He was diving alone as well in late afternoon. Diver Daniel also owns knife and dive watch, but rarely ever uses them. dumb dumb diver Daniel! nuff said!

u know its true Daniel, u need to stop pushing your luck!

Ha you backstabber Josh!

Yeah I know I could die if I got tangled in my own shooting line.

I guess I'm not too fond of dive knives as I've had them tangle on things underwater, lost hundreds of dollars worth of knives on shoredives, heard the noise knives make as they rattle in their sheaths, have to reposition them underwater, the uncomfortable feeling of the sheath pressing up against my body, the rust that builds up rapidly, and having one more thing on my body that isn't streamlined. With all those dumb little reasons I've just gotten in to the bad habit of leaving my knife in the car.

As for the wsb comment. Diving solo and retrieving a fish at depth is rather easy for me, with or without a knife. My breath hold is around 1:15 average, so it's something I feel very comfortable and capable of doing by myself. It's just easy

Last edited by spearthebigones; 06-08-2014 at 02:30 AM.
spearthebigones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #42
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Ha you backstabber Josh!

Yeah I know I could die if I got tangled in my own shooting line.

I guess I'm not too fond of dive knives as I've had them tangle on things underwater, lost hundreds of dollars worth of knives on shoredives, heard the noise knives make as they rattle in their sheaths, have to reposition them underwater, the uncomfortable feeling of the sheath pressing up against my body, the rust that builds up rapidly, and having one more thing on my body that isn't streamlined. With all those dumb little reasons I've just gotten in to the bad habit of leaving my knife in the car.

As for the wsb comment. Diving solo and retrieving a fish at depth is rather easy for me, with or without a knife. My breath hold is around 1:15 average, so it's something I feel very comfortable and capable of doing by myself. It's just easy

Have you ever been in a serious automobile accident where the seatbelt saved your ass?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #43
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

I normally don't dive with a knife. Something to be said about wearing one, but I hate extra gear. Have one attached to my float when diving blue water. If I do wear one its when I'm diving for WSB, which I hate doing anyways. No real need for one shooting cabrilla.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #44
kwtony
Snorkel Master

These are two of the three knives i usually carry in my dive bag. Each has its purpose. But they still cost 3.99...They are made by a company called promarnets.com. They have a good sheath and a sharp tip. If you rotate the blade 180 degrees in its sheath, it'll lock in place with a little tension and not slide out.

Im going to buy a dozen of these, oil them up and put in a box. When one gets dull, ill throw it back in it. When i run out*of new blades, ill give them all a few minuets on the wet stone...boom...new knives!!
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #45
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra View Post
always.
x2
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote