Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #31
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Re: Zeagle Regulator Blows at 180 ft

Remember that in case of an incident like the above one, your priority is making a safe effective return to the surface.

Quickly and calmly adding air to your BC (while you still have air) and becoming positively buoyant would usually be desirable. Drifting up without using large thigh muscles to swim up will decrease O2 burn and minimize the resulting CO2 build up from the decreased O2 burn.

If trained, you can also breathe from the BC as the air in the BC expands as water pressure decreases. If trained, you should easily be able to control your ascent with your BC.

Remember, it's CO2 build up that triggers "our brains signal to breathe", not decreased O2 levels.

Get training and practice , practice, practice until it becomes second nature. You need to be confident that you know what to do and how to do it when a real emergency happens.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #32
Capt.Gene

From a technical view, it was not a seat failure it was a diaphram displacing from the clamp ring. I would also guess that the external environmental diaphram always bulged outward when you pressurized the first stage. I watched your video.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #33
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Gene View Post
From a technical view, it was not a seat failure it was a diaphram displacing from the clamp ring. I would also guess that the external environmental diaphram always bulged outward when you pressurized the first stage. I watched your video.
The external diaphram did bulge a tiny bit when pressurized. Please excuse my ignorance, but is that a clear indication of a problem or an impending problem?

If so, is it commonly know that this is something to look for in a pre-dive check?

I had mentioned that the regulator had exhibited absolutely zero warnings of problems - but if a slight change in that external diaphram is a warning sign, then I would no longer be correct to say that there was no warning.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #34
dalite

wow, you handled that well. I would have crapped myself. You really have me leaning towards a pony bottle now. i rarely go past 120ft but if that happened towards the end of my dive i would be SOL and doing a cesa. your background music really added to the tension lol
dalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #35
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
The external diaphram did bulge a tiny bit when pressurized. Please excuse my ignorance, but is that a clear indication of a problem or an impending problem?

If so, is it commonly know that this is something to look for in a pre-dive check?

I had mentioned that the regulator had exhibited absolutely zero warnings of problems - but if a slight change in that external diaphram is a warning sign, then I would no longer be correct to say that there was no warning.
If the Zeagle is the same as the Apeks, there should be a very slight "bulge" when pressurized. And when not pressurized the clear diaphragm should be concave.

If you depressurize the reg and the clear diaphragm is bulged out there is either a problem or it was rebuilt improperly.

But that problem will often times be preceded with a very small leak coming from the clear diaphragm, since that diaphragm is not designed to hold very much pressure. Why we do bubble checks before descending, but alas, when solo diving, that is not possible.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #36
jfjf

Thanks,. I asked the same question at the shop and was told a slight bulge was normal. I was getting paranoid, that this was a flag. I bought the reg a few weeks prior, the owner said it was serviced 2 years ago. I diligently checked for ip creep and also for any leaks or bubbles, with the understanding that myphrchase was conditional on passing these tests. It looked to be in excellent condition and no corrosion. Worked flawlessly on the prior weekend. So as best I can tell, I had no warning - other than knowledge of overdue service.

I was surprised zeagle was not curious enough to ask to take a look at the catastrophic failure.

Incidentally, I asked the former owner if she had taken the reg in recently for a check or anything, with the idea that it had been opened up and the diaphragm got unseated, but she said nope.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #37
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
...the owner said it was serviced 2 years ago. ....
Personally, I would never have gotten into the water with a 2 year old service on any rig that I had not rebuilt myself. Or any unknown rebuild for that matter.

For example, I purchased an Apeks DS4 in May, owner said it was just serviced, looked spotless and IP was rock solid. I took it, rebuilt the whole thing, found some items that weren't "just serviced". Not that the guy lied, but you take it to a shop, you never know what they do. Unless I buy it new in the box, it gets a complete rebuild before it hits the water. I have not let anyone touch my regulators in years. Rebuild all my Apeks myself.

I don't like trusting my life to some dive shop monkey, whether on a deep reef or 2 miles back in a cave.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #38
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
Personally, I would never have gotten into the water with a 2 year old service on any rig that I had not rebuilt myself. Or any unknown rebuild for that matter.

For example, I purchased an Apeks DS4 in May, owner said it was just serviced, looked spotless and IP was rock solid. I took it, rebuilt the whole thing, found some items that weren't "just serviced". Not that the guy lied, but you take it to a shop, you never know what they do. Unless I buy it new in the box, it gets a complete rebuild before it hits the water. I have not let anyone touch my regulators in years. Rebuild all my Apeks myself.

I don't like trusting my life to some dive shop monkey, whether on a deep reef or 2 miles back in a cave.
That makes sense and having the ability to self service makes all he difference in the world. We (all) have seen so many regulators come directly back from service and be screwed up, that it tends to push me in the direction of.. it it ain't broke don't screw with it - every year anyway.

Of course, this little incident is a pretty graphic example of the wisdom of this approach. I have to wonder if piston regs are more forgiving in this regard?

I used to use a very old beat to hell sherwood first stage with a dry bleed on it for commercial golf ball diving. An incredible number of hours of use, (many more cycles per tank compared to diving deep) and I used to take it apart once every 6 months and lube the piston ring and clean it up and it went like that for years and years.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #39
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Glad you bad a good outcome, that's one of he reasons I buy a new reg every year or 2.Rebuilds at most shops are done by guys I wouldn't take diving much less trust with my life.
Not to mention it's not significantly more expensive to buy new.

Some great second guessing going on over on Scuba board on a thread about you.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #40
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
...Rebuilds at most shops are done by guys I wouldn't take diving much less trust with my life......

Old 08-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #41
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Damn! Glad you're alright, Jim. Way to keep your cool.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #42
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Damn! Glad you're alright, Jim. Way to keep your cool.
Thanks. If you step back for a moment, it was a very simple solution: switch to the pony reg on a necklace, establish positive buoyancy and come up. I was not in deco and had no other problems or complications to deal with.

I did not really have to reach back and shut off the leaking tank.

It was a big surprise and was scary, but it should not have been a big deal - FOR ANYONE WHO HAS A PONY, that is.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #43
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

True that, but you were 180' down. That has to wear on the mentality. I've had a hose blow on me 50' down before...no big deal...but 180' takes on a new perspective. I'm so glad you had your wits about you to not make some stupid mistake. I'm very logical about such and cool headed. I would hope that I'd make the same cool headed actions but you never know until you're put to the test. Congrats for surviving...that's a story for your grandchildren.

BTW, same to you, Dan. You just don't get as much acclaim as you are already a superhero.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #44
jfjf

An update, a zeagle representative has contacted me requesting the regulator for some forensic analysis. I am glad to hear that they were concerned enough about the failure to want to take a look.

They have also been more than fair with the disposition of the regulator. It took a little while, but in the end, they exhibited excellent customer service - even though I was up front about the fact that I was not the original owner and the reg was overdue for scheduled maintenance.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #45
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coos-spearo View Post
I will order a pony tonight! Thanks for sharing.

Our local scuba shop is going out of business. Found a 13 cu ft pony for $40, in hydro. Bought the Oceanic first and second stage (current model) used, in great shape, for $100. Watched your video. Bought two stainless hose clamps for $5.00 each. The tank strap clamp I found at the local shop for $14.00 and a pressure gauge for the first stage for $10. All in for under $175 on a redundant air supply. Not a bad investment.

I was able to take the pony bottle out and test it. It seems to me it is a no brainer and a must have. Thanks again for sharing.
Good to hear that the incident brought about A positive change. It is really not that expensive to rig one up,.