Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Atanasprime

Newbie on a budget

Hey guys, I've been roaming these boards for a few days and my account finally got activated so I can finally post! I have a few questions when it comes to gear for somebody with virtually no experience. I'm a college student between part time jobs so I really can't afford to dish out all that much.

Speargun - I went spearfishing in the mediterranean a couple of years ago. I didn't really know what I was doing so I just bought a cheapie spear gun with a single band and a crappy spear that was destroyed by the baggage throwers when I took it back to the states. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try to find a replacement spear for that or just get a new gun. I was also looking on amazon and I can get a "persistent intro" 90cm gun for just $65. On one hand that's really exciting because I haven't really seen a speargun that cheap...on the other it seems too good to be true. I don't have a boat or kayak personally though I have friends with boats that might be willing to take me out some times. Basically it means I'd be limited to shore diving in southern California. Keep in mind that at the moment I don't want to spend a lot. Once I get better/more into spearfishing I'll be looking to upgrade.

TL;DR: Is the "persistent intro" a decent beginner speargun for shorediving in SoCal? If not what is?

Wetsuit: I don't have a diving wetsuit though I do have a 3/2 and a 4/3 surfing wetsuit. Would either of those be ok for freediving in the warmer months in SoCal? Should I buy a hood if I'm using the surf suit? Again, keep in might that right now I am on a tight budget and would rather avoid having to save up for a new wetsuit unless it seems absolutely necessary.

Spots: Are there any good spots for shore diving in the San Diego/LA area? I've heard that there's a reef near Swamis in San Diego that's pretty good but I'm not sure if it's a MPA or not. The DFG website is still fairly confusing to me and I plan on asking a ranger or some sort of official before I got spearing anywhere. Are there any other good spots?

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm excited to get into spearfishing and to be a part of this community!
Atanasprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Gator.Lynch

Re: Newbie on a budget

I am also a newbie so I can't say much but I have a cressi apache that costs about 70 bucks and so far I have not been able to catch anything. Although it is a very small gun (24inch) I think it is ridiculous that I watched the shaft bounce off of a snapper at point blank range. I think you should either get a decent pole spear for the same price or just save for a better gun.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Freshy

Grab a Mako polespear:

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mtps.htm

The Persistent Intro looks like a gun that you will quickly outgrow and will not use in the future (if you continue on with the sport). On the other hand, it is always fun to blast a few reef fish with a pole spear and you will more likely still use it from time to time. The Mako looks like it'll work and is only $35!
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
AlexbeeintheUK

I dont know much about the persistant guns but i agree with spearo094 in that if you are on a budget you would be better off going for a good pole spear and building up to a good gun. On the other hand, you may get quickly fed up with a pole spear. I have a 95cm Beuchat Marlin which is pretty damn good. A friend of mine has been spearing for years with his 90cm Beuchat Mundial and has shot many fish including a 3ft nurse shark. The mundial is much cheaper and just as effective. I use one 18mm power band and he uses two 16mm (one screwed to the muzzle and one single loop).

Its all about preference, use your persistant for a bit longer, a new spear shaft and twin 16mm bands will probably set you back about $40. At least if you decide to buy a bigger gun in the future you will have a spare set of bands or a spare gun for any newbie friends.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
nilsonov

check out the cressi commanche gun, great starter too. if you want to go real cheap, go for jbl carbine, but i would invest a few more $ ina better gun. The jbl's are cheap durable, but you may get frustrated especially if you are after fish over 10 lbs.
nilsonov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
AndrewK

Mako puts together some packages too on their website that are budget friendly and its good stuff... and they stand behind all their products 100 percent.

RIP Nate 6/08/14... "Putmeincoach"
AndrewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Freshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
check out the cressi commanche gun, great starter too.

Very true, the Cressi geronimo 2 works too and is fairly inexpensive (has an integrated shaft guide). I haven't shot it before but I have a mate who bought the 75 and does his fair share of hole hunting with it. I still prefer my Rob Allen but it is about double the price.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.as...geronimo&Hit=1
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Atanasprime

Thank you everyone for the advice!

The gun I bought in Europe (the one with the broken shaft) has an integrated shaft guide I think. I'm going home to San Diego today and can take pictures. At this point though it seems like I'd get the most bang for my buck by getting a new shaft and putting an extra band on it. I don't mind that I will most likely outgrow it soon, I just want to get used to stalking fish and shooting a gun.

The pole spear seems like a good idea as well. I was wondering where you guys stand on making your own? My dad has done it in the past before I was born but as far as I can tell he just put a point on a metal rod and added rubber bands to the other end of it. I was thinking more along the lines of buying a paralyzer tip to put on a fiberglass pole from home depot... It seems like a fun project though when compared to the $35 mako spear perhaps not all that cost effective...

Finally, I haven't heard anything about wetsuits. Just an added bit of info: I am 6'3 and 175lbs so most suits don't fit me. I'd be hard pressed to find a used dive suit that fits. At this point I think I'll just give it a go with my 4/3 surf suit and think about upgrading if I'm miserable.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

you will be fine in a 4/3 surf suit in San Diego for 90% of the year. if you have a little gun and just need a shaft and bands get that fixed first as you will always have fun with a little gun like that.
There are plenty of great shops in SD like Spearshack in OB and James and Joseph on harbor island. they can help with rigging and shafts and all that.
you are better off getting out there with what you have then buying what you think you need.
Mike
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
DocShock
local yocal

I just bought the 75cm cressi geronimo 2 off www.leisurepro.com for 124.95 no tax and free shipping to FL for my hole/reef gun
Haven't got to use it yet, what sold me though was the fact the line release was stainless (other cheap guns are plastic, like the persistent) and the plastic ones break easy. the trigger is still plastic on the cressi, unlike the mako and omer cayman gi, but both of those guns are 189 and 175, respectively...I was just looking for a short, cheap beater gun that shoots good and didn't cost much...I have a persistent sniper 120, and like it, but it is made so cheap (all plastic) and the safety SUCKS on it (has cost me several shots on some reallllly nice fish). I put a reel on it to, but havent really gotten to test that out on a big fish (yet)

www.UrgentCareChiro.com
Treasure Coast's Hometown Chiropractors!
772-343-8511

DocShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

Take your time, save your money and buy the best you can, you will not regret it.
Cheep equipment will give you cheep results and turn you away from the sport, dont throw good money at bad.
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Super Squid

I think you're current wetsuits will be fine... If you're cold, get a hood/vest combo.

Post in the California section and see if anyone has any used guns... You'll usually be able to get a better gun for cheaper than new.

Spots... good luck. getting spots from people is very difficult. Just use every new trip as an exploration to find some spots for yourself. Then, dont tell anyone, because they'll get all your fish.
Super Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Atanasprime

I just got home and the gun I have is a Nemrod classic 75. Closed muzzle, 16mm band. I'm gonna try to catch spearshack or James & Joseph before the close and see what a new spear will set me back.