Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Gator.Lynch

Big Carlos Pass

I have a condo set up for next weekend in Lovers Key right next to Big Carlos pass. I figured while I was there I could try some spearin. I know that the current rips through there and that boat traffic would be very dangerous but lets say it is slack tide and I'm just looking to screw around. Anyone ever spear here? Hows the vis? Are there any other spots in the area that are good? Just note that I would be using a pole spear and good vis to me is 6ft+.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Baccala

Re: Big Carlos Pass

I have dove the bridge for stone crabs and vis always is terrible. The bridge ala ways has a lot of traffic and I would not be surprised if someone threw a cast net on you, be careful.
Now right out front of the Pass is May Reef and the GH reef, both part of the Lee County reef system if you could catch a ride to them there will be more fish there however the vis will likely be pea soup as it normally is this time of year.
Good Luck
Baccala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Gator.Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccala View Post
I have dove the bridge for stone crabs and vis always is terrible. The bridge ala ways has a lot of traffic and I would not be surprised if someone threw a cast net on you, be careful.
Now right out front of the Pass is May Reef and the GH reef, both part of the Lee County reef system if you could catch a ride to them there will be more fish there however the vis will likely be pea soup as it normally is this time of year.
Good Luck
Yeah I figured as much, I have fished from h/l and done real good. I have a 19ft mako so weather permitting I'll try to make it to the may reef. Have you ever dove the may reef?
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Baccala

Yes I dove the May but more like oct - nov when the water clears up. If the weather is nice the GH is only about 4 miles west , there is a barge and a little north of there a tug both good dives and could yield some mangroves, cobia or maybe even a gag, however the vis will be the only downfall, most of us that dive out to 160fsw will not be going out for about a week since the storm came through.
Baccala is offline   Reply With Quote