Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
LuckySpearo

NEED HELP SEA SNIPER Classic or Wood

My Safety lever keeps coming Off or out just by turning the gun . what holds the safety trigger inside without having to worried about lossing it .
LuckySpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: NEED HELP SEA SNIPER Classic or Wood

Is this what you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Sniper safety.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	243150  
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
popgun pete

You will need to remove the trigger mechanism by knocked out the pins that hold it in. As a rotating safety lever it turns a cam that blocks the trigger from moving when rotated forwards. As the external knob is a lever that appears to be fixed to its rotating shaft the safety must be held in by something inside the trigger mechanism itself. The safety control shaft does not run through to the other side of the handle section as otherwise it would have a fixing there, but that area is blank. It may be held in by a circlip, however you need to look at the rotating shaft for a groove that a circlip snaps into. A photo of removed parts would help.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

I remember on the older SSRHE guns the safeties were an issue. SS ended up sending our shop a bunch to swap out until they started putting them in the newer guns. Not sure if they’re still around or not
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
Behslayer

Sorry, I had one here which I took apart today in part to try to answer your question and in part because I'm a huge fan of Sea Sniper Designs. The Mech on this gun is Welded to the Baseplate so there are not pins. Also has a Cool system where a moulded Rubber But is pressed into place. Really nice piece of Engineering. There is some kind of rotating washer on the mech I thought it might be as simple as Using a Flat head screwdriver and popping the axle of the Safety off some kind of D-ring, and it might be.. but I couldn't figure it out. Best is to ask on *************.com lots of Seasniper users there many California guys.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #6
popgun pete

What one guy can put together another can take apart, you just have to figure out how. Now that safety has to be the first thing out and the last thing in when you take the gun apart and put it back together. My guess is the access to the safety shaft securing means takes place with the spear out of the gun as then you can reach inside the mech with a screwdriver. Whether the mech is connected to the grip frame plate and the whole shooting match goes in from underneath the stock or not, that safety rod has to come out for anything to be removed as otherwise it will be anchored by the hole for the safety shaft in the side of the stock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sea Sniper assembly.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	243161  

Last edited by popgun pete; 06-23-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Sorry, I had one here which I took apart today in part to try to answer your question and in part because I'm a huge fan of Sea Sniper Designs. The Mech on this gun is Welded to the Baseplate so there are not pins. Also has a Cool system where a moulded Rubber But is pressed into place. Really nice piece of Engineering. There is some kind of rotating washer on the mech I thought it might be as simple as Using a Flat head screwdriver and popping the axle of the Safety off some kind of D-ring, and it might be.. but I couldn't figure it out. Best is to ask on *************.com lots of Seasniper users there many California guys.
Does it look anthing like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sea Sniper handle.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	243168  
Old 06-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
popgun pete

Finally found a photo showing those grip screws on either side. Undo those screws and knock out the pin using a thin rod as a drift and the mechanism and handle will come out of the gun body once the safety has been pulled out of its locating hole in the left hand side of the stock. This example does not have the pin, unlike the gun shown above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sea sniper rear angled view annotated.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	243169  
Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
Behslayer

tried that
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
tried that
And then what? The safety cam on a shaft has to be fixed from turning by a flat on the shaft that the cam is pressed against. For example in a Sea Hornet the cam has a D-shaped hole in it and that slides over a D shaped end on the shaft. To hold the shaft in place a wire circlip goes over the shaft into a circumferential groove on the opposite end to the operating lever in the case of a gun like the Sea Sniper as the lever or operating knob is fixed. If there is no easy access for the attachment of a circlip then another method is a small flat on the shaft and a grub screw in the cam that tightens down on this flat. This makes the cam rotate with the shaft and also stops the shaft sliding out of the cam. In order to access the grub screw the cam has to be rotated until the head of the grub screw is visible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sea Hornet mech cocked and fired.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	243181   Click image for larger version

Name:	safety cam setting Sea Hornet R.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	243182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Hornet safety parts.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	243183  

Last edited by popgun pete; 06-24-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
popgun pete

One more fixing method is a pin or a keyway that engages both the shaft and cam, however this is not very practical on a small diameter safety control shaft and a keyway will not stop the shaft from sliding out of the cam, although a pin will, but requires a matching hole drilled right through the control shaft.