Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
stammster

1 fish = new 35' boat + gas for 3 years

Check out this tuna...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34711137...ness?GT1=43001
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Alexrom1207

Re: 1 fish = new 35' boat + gas for 3 years

Some friends of mine who are big rod and reel fishermen land giants quite often (as well as many other desirable fish just about every time they go out).

I was talking to the owner of the boat (who now buys and sells million dollar boats whenever he gets bored with them....bought a 55' Viking that cruised 34 knots as a temporary boat while he was looking for a "faster nicer boat." -- current 57' boat cruises 38+ knots, tops out at 42.

Anyway, he said that his first boat (bought sometime in the 70s or 80s) cost him 46,000 and that year he caught 57,000 worth of tuna. If we could all be so lucky.

I'm often afraid to calculate my "cost per fish ratio" for fear that it will cause me to give up boating entirely. I'm relatively sure that it would be cheaper to go out get my fish already caught, filleted, cooked, seasoned, and nicely presented on a plate than it costs go out and catch them myself. The satisfaction, however, of shooting dinner myself is well worth the investment...as I'm sure everyone would agree.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
MagicMike
Mike Pearson

I saw that on Yahoo yesterday. Crazy. How much does it cost to send a fish to Japan??
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Capytan
So far from salt...

^^^ I would like to know the same thing. Seems lots of people send tuna to Japan. Sounds like a "you need money to make money thing".
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

you cant just sell a bluefin. Permit hell
Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Oliver

Rod and reel caught tuna generally are not worth much as sushi meat anyway. The thing that makes tuna the most valuable is the fat content. If a fish fights hard for a couple of hours, it will burn off almost all of its fat, making it pretty much worthless to the Japanese. The most valuable ones are those that are either netted or electrocuted and don't have any chance to fight.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Alexrom1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Rod and reel caught tuna generally are not worth much as sushi meat anyway. The thing that makes tuna the most valuable is the fat content. If a fish fights hard for a couple of hours, it will burn off almost all of its fat, making it pretty much worthless to the Japanese. The most valuable ones are those that are either netted or electrocuted and don't have any chance to fight.
Good to know. I always knew these guys sold their tuna for big money. But the prices quoted here just seemed way beyond what any of them get, which is usually 10-20k for a big big fish.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
AlexF

The record selling tuna is always caught in Japan, the imported tuna will never get the same price.

Tuna caught in nets is not the one that fetches the highest price as the nets mark the skin and make the tuna look less appealing. All the good tuna for sushi are line caught and then a strict handling procedure is followed to obtain the best quality. The procedure goes from gaffing, bleeding, cleaning and storing the tunas.

If you search sashimi tuna handling you will get to the instruction booklet.
AlexF is offline   Reply With Quote