Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Billfish Republic or Headhunter Nomad?

Hey guys,

The summer coming up it means another year or crossing over to the bahamas a few times to have a shot at landing some big fish. Last year I snapped a sea stinger on a 40-50lb black while over there and I was pissed because the spear didnt hold up, a true fish of a life time got away. Looking for a thicker spear, something with more punch, and be able to take a beating while shooting big grouper in rocks. Please dont recommend these lighter spears like the headhunter predator or another sea stinger, as I have heard good things about them(they are crazy fast) I have heard that they snap like twigs when under a little stress(I have witnessed t with my sea stinger). Ive narrowed it down to the Billfish Republic roller polespear or the Headhunter Nomad(which I know its fairly new but I figured someone on here has used a Nomad). If anyone has used or currently uses any of these spears can you give me some pros/cons to each, and if you think its worth the purchase? Any imput on what spear I should buy would be great.

Thanks
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
BigSwole

Re: Billfish Republic or Headhunter Nomad?

This year will be my 3rd year in the bahamas.

The first year I bought a mako big game pole spear, I quickly realised it wasn't up to park when I made a perfect dive on a nice grouper and it literally dodged the spear at 1.5 ft from tip to gill plate. It was slow. It didn't have very much power.

I used a sea stinger, felt like it would snap on a larger than normal shrimp.

I then used a crist and I did like that one. It was aluminum, fairly quick, and packed some power. Landed a 44lb black and he was beating the shit out of that spear and it only tore up the grip.

When I went back my second year, I debated on the crist and the Billfish and the headhunter. After addING it all up, extras parts included, the price all together wasn't a huge difference.

Reasons I chose the billfish.

-the owner is always available to answer your questions and talk. So customer service.
-headhunter cost a whole whole lot and they still break.
-crist changed owners (gatku now produces them) and even though it was a tank i wanted some speed too.
-I scoured instagram and messaged literally 50 ppl, talked to a few on the phone, each one said the same thing. "Super fast" "really strong" "never have to buy another" "absolutely love it"

So I made my decision and went with billfish. I showed up and met the owner at his house where he showed us the spears, talked with us and went over everything.

His grips were so good, we put a grip on a crist while we were there.

We now have 3 Billfish Spears and the crist, mako, and stingers will stay put up.

I recommend 10/10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-05-04-14-13-06.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	237963   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1517939841709.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	237964  
BigSwole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
TrevorB

took me 2 years to pull the trigger on buying one as i was skeptical. just got my billfish republic (sniper) and nothing but good things to say. have tried almost everything else... even better than i expected. next level.
TrevorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

I'd been shooting a Gatku for a while when Neritic came out with the Bantam. I got my son a Bantam for his birthday back in November and its the only polespear that gets wet. The thing is slick. It's modular, breaks down and the lengths can be adjusted from 5-10'. What we really love is the wicked magnetic slip tip it comes with. Its legit! When you give a fish a friendly poke, with the bantam, he/she (the fish) sticks around and ends up going home for dinner. The tip easily/quickly detaches from the polespear, making it simple to set back up. This makes it easy to invite the fishes friends over for a very tasty meal. I picked ours up at Benthic over in Destin.
Hope this is helpful